Options

Boondocking Best Practices

2»

Comments

• Options
    TabyDDTabyDD Member Posts: 52
    jkjenn said:

We got on the topic of boondocking on another thread (http://www.tab-rv.com/forum#/discussion/621/red-light-on-alde-control-panel) and thought it might be helpful to dedicate a thread to boondocking, for posterity. I will start off with a few things we know about boondocking.

• What works off grid:12v outlets and accessories (TV, stereo, ceiling fan, lights, Alde - with propane, Norcold- with propane, water pump)
    • What does not work off grid: A/C, 110v outlets, Alde - electric, Norcold - electric
    • When using propane for heat and Norcold, the propane should last approximately 4-5 days
    • Battery power is required for using both he Norcold and Alde off grid. In general, if the charge is below 11.2, the Alde will not have enough strength to work. The results are similar for the Norcold.
    • The 11 gal grey tank will overflow into the shower on an S model or the sink on other models when it is over capacity. A portable waste tank (Telford, Barker, etc..) can be used to extend the time you can continue to use a grey tank. Some models have a ring on the Handel that will slip over the ball on your TV hitch for transport to the campground dump station.
    • The 6 gallon black tank will not allow the toilet waste to be released to the tank when it is full.
    • To preserve battery life, reduce or eliminate use of ceiling fan, TV, stereo, lights and water pump.
    • Proper solar charging will recharge your battery. Many users report 120 watts minimum for those who are off grid and want to continue to use electronics. Solar will not provide you with any 110v usage (a/c, outlets, etc.) In order to use 110v items, an invertor must be installed.
    • A generator of the appropriate power will recharge your batteries or can be used as a shore power source for your T@b. In addition to traditional gas only generators, Yamaha has a generator that will run off of propane.
    Jenn, thank you so much for this helpful contribution.  You and Mike (and others) have demystified so many aspects of camping with our T@bs.  Especially for us newbies with the urge to spread our wings but not necessarily the know how.  Appreciate.  DD
    Seattle, Wa
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    pixelated  there are a few on my website (http://www.mash-production.com).  Images are generally 25,000 by either 7,500 or 12,500.  There is a dawn in Yosemite Valley (california deserts and mountains) that is about 40 images and forest on Kruse Ranch Road (in verticals) is 72 images.   I haven't put up the rest yet  (I spent two months over the summer on the road and I have another 50 images to fit on the site, but since I'm redoing the site, there will be more in a bit.)  What kind of stuff do you shoot?  Got an online place for me to look. 
  • Options
    Maybe we should start a thread that talks about nice places to shoot.  I found a bunch of great places in my travels over the past couple of years; some expected and unexpected locations all over the country. 
  • Options
    Pixelated's wonderful road reminded me of why I no longer depend on phone map programs to determine what routes are doable.  I have my own pictures of these "roads", lousy surface (and extremely steep grades that have given me a few scares).  I tend to be much more conservative in rolling onto obscure BLM roads that can be very uneven in their "t@bability" quotient (can I really get the trailer out of this mess?)  
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    mash2 - Don't have the bandwidth at the moment to go look at your images but the process sure sounds interesting. I'm doing light painting at night - not the sparkler type stuff, more like studio lighting outdoors at night. Everything but the ambient sky is lit with flashlights.
    Haven't actually put anything up online yet but here's a sample.
  • Options
    Mash2 "Maybe we should start a thread that talks about nice places to shoot."
    That would be interesting.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ask me in a couple of weeks. I'll be in the area for a while. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Heck, I thought Tabs were made for it!

Gall Boys

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We drove up approximately 7 miles north of Quartzsite, turned right onto the asphalt road and then drove back around 3 miles and drove back in on BLM land. That's where we set up camp....  There is an abundance of land out there, it's open and available to camp on.  There is a host trailer right around the corner when you drive back but we never gave them any money because it is government land and anyone can use it to camp on.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    moniraqmoniraq Member Posts: 46
    This is great information for someone just figuring this stuff out so thanks guys and thanks to jkjenn for answering almost all of my questions with just one post!
    Monica (aka GlobeDiva)
    2014 T@b Max "Q"
    TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited June 2015
    One clarification--when you refer to "Norcold" there are actually three models of Norcold refrigerator that people may have here (or maybe more).  The 3-way won't work on electric and should be used on propane as Jenn stated.  The 12v refridge and the portable chest style can both be run on 12v using battery and solar power.  The 3-way uses too much power in 12v mode to rely on battery/solar when boondocking.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    ChanW said:
    PXLated said:
    Propane Refills are not created equal...
    I was in an area where the only way to get a refill was trade in your current tank for a full one (Walmart is that way). I've found these vary somewhat and aren't always a full 20lbs. When possible, I always go for a refill where they weigh the tank.
    Pxl, I've never gone with the propane tank trade-in system because, from what I understand, the trade-in bottles have a proprietary filler system and can only be refilled by the trade-in program. Once you have one, you have to keep trading it in.

Is that what you've found?

It's good to know that it's sometimes difficult to find someone to refill a traditional bottle.

A good reason to have a spare, and refill it as soon as possible! 
    I've had no issues filling a tank that was bought at a trade-in. As a matter of fact, we did it recently. One of our tanks had reached it's expiration, so we traded it and checked the expiration on the new tank and have been having it filled ever since.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Also, when boon docking, you can use an inverter in your TV to recharge 110v items (computers, etc).  
  • Options
    mash2 - Yep, just make sure the TV is running or you'll drain that battery to :-)
    Nothing worse than having a dead TV out in the boonies :-(
  • Options
    You can also kick a little overnight juice to the T@B by hooking up the TV and running for 10 minutes. I made the mistake of leaving the ceiling fan on too long - past peak solar - and needed a bump to run lights and Alde comfortably.
  • Options
    I added an isolator so the T@B won't draw without the TV running.  My biggest problem on the road was leaving lights on in the TV and running down the TV battery from lights.  I've actually jump started the TV from the T@B batteries on numerous occasions, but no problems from the T@B.
  • Options
    CharChar Member Posts: 19
    I've never camped in an RV and hope to get my T@B soon (tomorrow), so this may sound really dumb, but couldn't we just recharge our battery by turning on our towing vehicle?
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Char,
    When you pick up your T@B tomorrow, have the dealer check to be sure that your tow vehicle is set to charge your battery while towing. Most if not all tow vehicles are capable, but do not come with the wiring set up for charging. We found that to be true both on our Chevy Trailblazer and our Ford F-150.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    Char - Yes, but, it depends on what all you have running in the T@B and how much draw that's taking vs what your TV alternator is putting out. That said, I've gotten low, didn't feel like hauling out the generator and just hooked up and let my TV idle for a bit - how long depends on how low you are.

And as skwhee mentions, make sure your connection has that charge wire (10 gauge as I recall).
  • Options
    I should add though - if you're going to do much boondocking, you really should invest in solar otherwise you could be running your TV quite a bit. (again, depending on what you are running)
  • Options
    Steve/Karen, thanks for the comment.  I'm getting the 7-way when I get my hitch installed.  I was going to go with Uhaul for my trailer hitch, but the dealer informed me that a converter for the 7-way wouldn't work for breaks and charging.  
  • Options
    PXLated, yes I don't think it's something I'd do that much, just if I'm in a pinch until I get the generator or the solar add ons.  All in good time, right? :)  Thank you.
  • Options
    Hmmmm - Don't know what the dealer's Uhaul thing is - I already had the factory hitch but had Uhaul install the seven pin and break controller and all works fine. - In fact, it was my dealer that recommended Uhaul.
  • Options
    I first called my SUV dealer, and they didn't do the 7 pin.  Then I called UHaul, and they also said they don't the 7-way pin.  The St. Paul UHaul did, but they were booked 3 weeks out, so I'm having my T@B dealer do it.  
  • Options
    Ahhh - I got mine done on a three-day wait at Uhaul in one of the western Mpls locations.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I installed my own hitch (Rugged Ridge), Uhaul installed a 4 way connector, originally, but the T@b dealer installed the 7 way and the charge connection.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PXLated, looks like another Twin Cities T@B enthusiast.  Where do you camp?
  • Options
    Char - I semi-retired last summer (can do what I now do via the Internet), got the T@B and have been on the road for 9 months (12-15,000 miles, have lost track) - so, a LOT of places...
    None in MN though, too many other places to see - Playing gypsy and doing a dang good job of it :-)