Options

To drill or not to drill

Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
edited July 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Love my nice clean unblemished walls on my 2020 32o Boondock. I need to add a few options for storage and it involves small screws into some of the white walls. Primarily above the sink and above the door. Is this safe? Should I only mount on the wooded cabinets? 
Kr@cken
2020 T@B 320 Boondock
Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
Clueless about everything electronic
2020 Subaru Ascent 
Bainbridge Island, Wa

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited July 2020
    Unless you can feel something solid..the photo is an example of the trailer walls, which I borrowed from another user's post: "...there really is no dead air space in most of the walls and ceiling of a Tab. Here’s a pic of Azdel, wall samples I received from NuCamp.... Top left is outer skin, bottom left is wall papered inside, on the right you see the depth and composition....the pen is for size reference."
    As you can see, there isn't a lot for a screw to grab onto.

Here are a bunch of threads with conversations about how to:

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    You will need to use a butterfly sheetrock screw assembly or something similar if you want to have any hope of an attachment lasting. There simply isn't any holding power in the thin wall coverings. Frame is aluminum tube, no wood studs.

You might want to consider just saying no to screwing anything to the walls.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    There is some wood framing in the interior bath walls-- I'm not sure to what extent it extends into the sink area. I don't think I would trust the walls themselves for attaching anything I hoped would stay put, but I tend to be a little AR about attachment points.
    I recently added some storage to the kitchen and opted to mount securely to the cabinets. I screwed two small L-brackets to the top of each side and then bolted them through the underside of the cabinets. Seems plenty solid.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited July 2020
    Working inside a TaB is like working in a boat, you can not attach anything directly to the hull (sides), so you look for frames and attach blocking inside the trailer where you want to attach a heavy item.  Light stuff, like a small shelf for light stiff can use Command Strips or similar adhesive bits.

The Bathroom divider wall (not outside walls)  is solid ply (Closet on 400) as are the cabinets, and give some place to mount heavier bits.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Construction of the bathroom differs with different models. Always check the materials and thickness first in the area you intend to drill. Only some parts of the bath walls on the 320 are thick enough for anchoring into, others are thin luan that will leave your screws spinning endlessly.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited January 2021
    Here is a shot of the 320 construction.  There is a wood wall behind the toilet.  No wood above the sink or door.  The walls are only layers of Fiberglass, foam and Azdel.  Not sure about the wall between the bath and the kitchen sink.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited July 2020
    The inside wall/partition(between galley and head area) on the 320, looks like sold ply in the photos above.   @VictoriaP, their is no luan type ply used anywhere on the nuCamp Tabs, it is Birch shop and cabinet grade Birch plywood.  Luan ply is not as a good a quality material, as the more expensive Birch ply products.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice. Looks like there will be no drilling in my future. Rather safe than sorry.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    Depending on how heavy your storage load is, you may want to look into using 3M Command Strips, with either their hooks or to mount your storage unit directly.  They adhere pretty well and come off easily by pulling on the release tab.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @j@ydub what kinds of things do you want on your walls, or handy storage for? Tab owners are amazingly creative and love to share what we’ve done. For walls I use heavy duty velcro. It stays put. For my kitchen area I like to be able to keep regularly used items handy, so some totes and Sugru putty took care of that! The totes haven’t budged
    in three seasons now. Good luck with your projects!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Thank you. I am just trying to hang small things but nothing seems to stick to the walls of the 2020 T@B 320. Someone suggested alcohol wipes first. Tried that. Made sure I let it dry overnight before weight bearing. 3 hours later things on the floor. Lightweight small plastic pictures. Small plastic containers for sponges. I want to hang a paper towel holder. Was thinking about above the sink. Looks like I should be able to get purchase in the cabinet wood just wasn’t sure about drilling through that thin liner above the sink Things do stick to the wood cabinets just nothing on the walls. I wanted to try that stick on back splash some have tried but it just falls off within an hour. Not a big deal but looking for options. Appreciate any advice you have 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2020
    j@ydub said:
    Thank you. I am just trying to hang small things but nothing seems to stick to the walls of the 2020 T@B 320. Someone suggested alcohol wipes first. Tried that. Made sure I let it dry overnight before weight bearing. 3 hours later things on the floor. Lightweight small plastic pictures. Small plastic containers for sponges. I want to hang a paper towel holder. Was thinking about above the sink. Looks like I should be able to get purchase in the cabinet wood just wasn’t sure about drilling through that thin liner above the sink Things do stick to the wood cabinets just nothing on the walls. I wanted to try that stick on back splash some have tried but it just falls off within an hour. Not a big deal but looking for options. Appreciate any advice you have 
    Did you press and hold the command strip for at least 30 seconds and then let it cure for awhile before hanging your object? It’s really important to follow the instructions on the command strip package. I have them all over my trailer holding all kinds of things. 
    The 3m instructions say they’re not approved for wallpaper but I’ve only had a problem once when I left a heavy coat hanging in the trailer when it was closed up in storage and it got pretty hot in there. 
    You could also try 3M Dual Lock tape. However, it uses a permanent adhesive that will be difficult to remove if you change your mind. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @j@ydub, we have attached some lightweight items to our walls using plastic wall screw inserts and 1/2" - 3/4" screws, without any issues.  Below are two examples (a spice/paper towel rack on the wall next to the kitchen sink and a kleenex box holder.)  The spice rack came with plastic wall inserts and 1" screws, which worked, because the thickness of the metal frame of the spice rack took up about 1/4" of the screw length.  The kleenex box came with plastic wall inserts and shorter screws.  We have similarly attached a lightweight clear plastic holder for our TV remote on the wall below the TV.

NOTE: if you drill into the wall, do it slowly using light pressure so that you don't accidentally punch through the outer aluminum sidewall.  The inside wall is very thin.  Also, I would recommend that before drilling, use a thin finishing nail to punch a small hole to confirm the wall is hollow at that location.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Thanks Marceline. I have been holding tight for 60 seconds and waiting 1-2 hours to hang and they just fall off. I use them all over my house and at work and have never had this issue. I thought I read somewhere that the very slightly new textured walls on the 2020 don’t adhere well. I think I will throw out another post to see if anyone with 2020’s is having similar problems. I appreciate your advice!
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    j@ydub said:
    Thanks Marceline. I have been holding tight for 60 seconds and waiting 1-2 hours to hang and they just fall off. I use them all over my house and at work and have never had this issue. I thought I read somewhere that the very slightly new textured walls on the 2020 don’t adhere well. I think I will throw out another post to see if anyone with 2020’s is having similar problems. I appreciate your advice!
    Well if you’ve done all that I’m fresh out of ideas. If the command strips wouldn’t work I think that Dual Lock would be preferable to screws in the Adzel walls. The 3M VHB adhesive sticks to just about anything so I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t work. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    We tried hanging a basket with 3M VHB squares above the door. Somehow, even that wouldn't stick, as strong as it is. The basket wasn't super lightweight, but we used isopropyl alcohol to clean the wallpaper first and everything. Still would find it on the floor after travel. Maybe if what you're hanging is light enough you'll have better luck...
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I went with the “stick it to the counter” method like @Homebodyatheart did, using Museum Putty, and my paper towel holder is one that hangs over a cabinet door—any of the accessories out there that hang over cabinet doors will also hang off the wood valances, and a dab of Museum Putty will keep them in that spot if they tend to move while in transit. There are so many options out there that don’t require screws or Command adhesive, and also don’t risk your resale potential down the road if someone doesn’t like what you’ve done.

Or alternatively, screw it into the wall between the kitchen and bath. That wall (at least through 2020) is nice thick plywood that will take screws perfectly and doesn’t risk piercing the outer shell of the Tab.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    boseliboseli Member Posts: 19
    We have a 2021 T@b320S and most Command Hooks do not stick to the wallpaper, especially in the bathroom. I plan on taking down any that still remain as I am concerned about damaging the wallpaper in case the weight pulls on the hook and rips the paper off the wall. I have emailed NuCamp to find out where there are walls with backing strong enough to hold screws. Presumably, the wall between the bathroom and end of sink galley is wood, and maybe some edges where we could put a wood strip from one end of the wall to the other and attach hooks to that. I will post whatever info I get from NuCamp. 

Linda Kinney
    2021 T@b 320S, TV 2018 Honda Ridgeline
    SW Washington State

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Two photos from the mezzanine taken on a factory tour at üCamp21:

This photo shows the wall between the bathroom and the TV on a 2021 T@b 320. It is two pieces of plywood, but there are no vertical nor horizontal studs. It is just a hollow wall with water pipes, and electrical wiring. 

This photo shows the same wall as the previous photo, plus more of the wall between the kitchen snd the bathroom. This is not a photo that shows conclusively that there is wood behind the composite wall with the wall covering. 

I recommend you send an email to tech@nucamprv.com to ask about the kitchen/bathroom wall. 

Be very careful about attaching helping handles in the bathroom opposite the toilet. I intend to add a horizontal cleat inside the wall to hold a horizontal helping handle. I will temporarily remove the TV to gain access to the inside of the wall. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    boseliboseli Member Posts: 19
    Thanks! I did email NuCamp and will report back what they say.
    Linda Kinney
    2021 T@b 320S, TV 2018 Honda Ridgeline
    SW Washington State

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited June 2021
    Edit: Apparently I have provided outdated intel in this post. PLEASE DISREGARD my comments below.

@boseli, During my 'modventures' I have learned the following in my 2019 320S.  The end wall of the bathroom is solid lumber (I asked the factory about this before adding the following handle).

The TV side of the bathroom wall is made of 1/8" plywood. I needed to glue backing strips on the back of the plywood to mount the power outlet shown below.

Note the access panel to the left of the wooden frame (seam line with screws). There is a wall stud located there too. I don't know of any changes for your model year compared to mine though. Hope this gives you more info to ponder for your mods...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    @CrabTab, per Creed, there are no horizontal nor vertical studs in the bathroom/TV wall.  He checked for me on Monday after the production line shut down for the day. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    OK, thanks @Verna. Sorry to spew misinformation. I physically saw them in my older T@B during mods. Perhaps I should have gone on the factory tour last week to see the new models, as you did. Guess I'll head back to Bedrock again. Fred Flintstone out...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    @CrabTab, you always hear of nüCamp making changes and this is obviously one of those changes.  You are not wrong for your model, as my 2014 T@B S Max was the same as yours.  That’s why it helps others to put your year of T@B in your signature line as we both have done👍

Did you know the 2021 models use a 3/4” bolt head on their stabilizers? That’s another recent change. No more looking for the slotted tool for the stabilizers—3/4” sockets snd attachments are easier to find!

You’re fine, no need to hide. We all learn a bit every day!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 208
    I too called NuCamp about where I can attach things on a Jan. 2021 mfg. 320S Boondock. 
    On our six week shakedown trip we used lots of adhesive backed 1.5" wide velcro tapes, double stick tapes, and ultimately some crazy glue, on various surfaces for lightweight clothes hooks, countertop and wall holders.  Some held and some failed.  The shower wall will not hold tapes for long.
    A continuous run of velcro fuzz the length of the 'shelving' above the beds proved great to stick velcro hook backed clothes hooks to it wherever needed.  The velcro kept pulling off the back of the plastic hooks, it required crazy glue to hold.

Tested and found *zero* holding power on a predrilled no.12 s.m. screw in the Adzel panel which is just a foam with very thin veneer each face.
    I'd hoped to install continuous aluminum L-track longways each side above bed, for hold-down of rubbermaid boxes of bedding and the like.  No such luck.

I did wonder about sandwiching the Adzel panel between L-track on inside and a 3/32 x 1.5" wide aluminum continuous plate on outside to spread the load, using through-drilled 1/4" x ~1.5" flathead machine screws, washers, and nylok nuts. 
    a bit drastic. 
    Anyone tried this 'sandwich' approach?

T&B 320S Boondock (mfg. Jan. 2021)/ Tacoma 4 cylinder truck in (sigh) low gears

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck