Options

Cracked Frame

EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
CRACKED FRAME. The thing is when you do a routine inspection of your T@B, you might very well find something wrong. The same rough roads that broke my gas line, also fractured the camper frame on both sides. Anyone know if NuCamp covers such damage in a 2011 Pleasant Valley T@B? If not, I'll get out my welder, fabricate some reinforcing plates, and fix it next week.
Stancil Campbell
2011 T@B
Rockingham, NC

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The cracked frame “incident” was for the 2015 models. The fix was to weld a piece of frame over it, as I recall. No, they probably wouldn’t cover a 2011 frame under warranty, sorry. 

I know of one fix that they asked the welder to weld a new piece long enough to cover 10” on either side of the crack, if that much would fit. This gives you a starting point for your welding.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Yikes. The 2015 issue was deemed to be a defect from the frame manufacturer. 

Was this trailer in an accident or taken off road?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Estancio, although it is different than what you discovered, here is the thread regarding the 2015 frame cracks (mentioned above):

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6542/frame-cracks-where-tongue-bolts-to-frame/p1
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Worst part is that it appears to have been cracked for a while based on al of the rust.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Where would I look to find that cracked area of frame to check for cracks?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Dutch061 said:
    Worst part is that it appears to have been cracked for a while based on al of the rust.

Brad
    Steel oxidizes pretty quickly.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    BrianZ said:
    Where would I look to find that cracked area of frame to check for cracks?
    It would be underneath, to the left behind the step and directly opposite on the driver’s side.  There actually were fewer than 50, if I recall correctly, from this forum. It was a production problem from the frame manufacturer. 

And, @BrianZ, it was only on the 2015 models. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I've never seen a cracked frame on anything that moves in my 73 years. So it is clear to me that this was an engineering problem -- either faulty materials, or faulty method of fabrication. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @estancio are you the original owner?
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Estancio said:
    I've never seen a cracked frame on anything that moves in my 73 years. So it is clear to me that this was an engineering problem -- either faulty materials, or faulty method of fabrication. 
    I've got to agree with you. Where it is cracked - right at the bend in the frame -  sure looks like the stretched metal from the bend isn't up to the job it was designed for.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes, that was my thought also.  I would weld a reinforcement bit next to this, overlapping the crack by 8-10 inches on both sides.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    My initial inspection seems to reveal that the Frame Channel was cut at the bottom, bent to the proper angle, then only spot weld to hold the bottom mitre together. However, the more I look at it, that appears to be a rip and not a mitre cut. Only the frame manufacturer knows for sure.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    That would explain the failure. It simply was not completed when manufactured.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    It’s important not to mistake the cracks the in this post with the one’s found on a few 2015 320’s. I was the OP for that thread. As a follow up to that. I have yet to make any repairs and to date there has been zero change. IMHO the cracks in this post present a clear and present danger, and need a proper fix.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun