Options

Starsan for sanitizing?

I'm wondering if anyone has used the Five Star Chemicals product "Starsan" for sanitizing their T@B fresh water system.

I have used it for years in my home brewery.  You use a relatively small amount (1oz) per 5 gallons of water.  Run it through the system and drain.  No rinsing needed, which makes it much easier to use than bleach.  It does leave behind a plethora of bubbles/foam, but these bubbles are 100% safe to mix with fresh water (or wort) afterwards and impart zero taste or odor.  The slogan "Don't fear the foam!" is commonly used when Starsan is utilized for this reason. 

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Not sure if this is Alde approved, so make sure you bypass the Alde.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
    @Sharon_is_SAM   For sure I will bypass Alde in any case!

• Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    I use Star San for homebrewing too. I don't see why it wouldn't work. You might contact five star chemicals to get their input. It does foam quite a bit. I'm not sure if that would be an issue with the pump. It's also acidic, so any soft metals like aluminum shouldn't come in contact with it. Stainless I think is fine. At 1oz/5gal it might get pricey compared to bleach. But no rinsing and no taste is a huge plus.
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    I will gladly pay the extra cost to avoid dealing with bleach!   I’m guessing that the amount of time the pump and other parts would be exposed to low concentrations of Starsan is not enough for any appreciable damage to occur, so I’m going to go for it in the next week or so.  I’ll report back...

• Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    I was thinking more with the foam and cavitation for the pump. It may burn it up or shorten it's life.

2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    Ah. I will let you know if I have any issues with foam and cavitation, etc., once I am able to try it.  I have not used sanitation/siphon mode before so I will probably do a short “dry” run with just water first and/or to get it primed.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    I would find out how phosphoric acid reacts with the pex pipes in the trailer. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    The thought of even a weak solution of acid concerns me and any aluminum parts. If it isn't rinsed to some lower level after using it, the impact with unknown metal joints and structures is unknown and won't show up immediately.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2020
    Just stick with the bleach solution...  It works, and does the job.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Jake_Elwood_and_usJake_Elwood_and_us Member Posts: 40
    Here are the Safety Data Sheets of the chemicals listed on the label of Star San.
    One is Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid, sodium salt 15%
    The other is phosphoric acid 50%
    I included chlorine just as a comparison.
    I have some Star San left over from my brewing days.
    I will do some testing on pex, aluminum and other items which make up the T@B plumbing.

I was thinking more with the foam and cavitation for the pump. It may burn it up or shorten it's life.

This is interesting, I will try to do a test with it as well.

For the time being I will stick with bleach to protect the investment we have in the T@B but just as I did the switch over with brewing it will be interesting to see if Star San can possibly work. More later.

2021 T@B400 BD
    2000 Tundra 4x4 poverty pulling luxury
    Calif. coastal-sand & redwoods
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited June 2022
    I too am a homebrewer and use Star San almost exclusively to sanitize my brewing equipment. It is an excellent, highly effective sanitizer that is relatively safe, and superior to iodine and bleach in many ways.As  My brewing equipment is stainless steel, glass or food-grade plastic, all of which Star San can be safely used on. The few items not of those materials, like my copper immersion chiller, are sanitized in other ways.
    Most of the plumbing lines on the 320 are PEX, but some are aluminum and while Star San should be fine in the PEX, the aluminum may be a different story. I think it's likely that Star San may be OK for aluminum, particularly if rinsed, but at this point the jury is out. I hadn't thought about the foaming issue and its implications regarding cavitation at the water pump, but that's yet another reason Star San may not be appropriate in our T@B's. For the time being then, I too will stick with bleach.
    Will be interested to see what your testing determines @Jake_Elwood_and_us.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    Another homebrewer using Star San who’s been contemplating using it in my T@B. If not letting it flow through the entire system, I thought about adding it to what’s left in the fresh water tank before departing a campground to allow it to bounce around and then drain once home. Might keep the tank sanitized until the next trip.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Jake_Elwood_and_usJake_Elwood_and_us Member Posts: 40
    AnOldUR said:
    Another homebrewer using Star San who’s been contemplating using it in my T@B. If not letting it flow through the entire system, I thought about adding it to what’s left in the fresh water tank before departing a campground to allow it to bounce around and then drain once home. Might keep the tank sanitized until the next trip.
    I had the same thought but would also like to sanitize the piping and avoid the pump and Alde but I'm not sure it would completely. Would just like to not use bleach. I'm looking for an old pump and some stainless to start the testing on. Might be a while.

2021 T@B400 BD
    2000 Tundra 4x4 poverty pulling luxury
    Calif. coastal-sand & redwoods
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Another homebrewer here, but I don't use the Star San in the T@b.  What I use is the chlorinating granules we keep for the hot tub.  I use a big pinch with our well water to superchlorinate the tank each spring.  Let that sit for a few hours.  Then I fill again with a small pinch (about 15 grains for our 12 gallon tank).  Brings the level up to about what city water smells like.  We don't drink from the tank, but don't hesitate to brush teeth or rinse.  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra