Coupler - Receiver Combo Locks

TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
After 12+ years, my coupler pin lock is getting difficult to unlock/remove, and I know I’m a trip or few away from having to remove it with a hacksaw.  When it goes, so does the receiver pin since they are keyed alike.  In the market for a new set of robust, stainless steel keyed-alike locks, and wondering what others can recommend.  I realize this is sort of like asking what your favorite dog breed is, but oh well.  Lots of options out there, lots of no-name knockoffs too. I’m more concerned about the receiver pin since it secures a B&W hitch that stays in the receiver; it needs to be somewhat theft-deterrent. The coupler pin is really just to ensure the coupler stays secured while traveling.

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited August 2020
    @TNOutback, this is what I have been using since Jan 2019 on my 320 S.  So far, so good.  I try to take extra care not to lose the rubber covers, because they are what keep dirt, etc., out of the barrel-key entry.

The coupler lock is the Trimax SXTC2 (2 1/2" span.)  The receiver lock is the Trimax SXT5 (3 1/2" span.)  Both are stainless steel.

NOTE:  I originally wanted a "keyed-alike" set, so I purchased the Trimax "SXTM32" set.  Actually, that set is depicted in the photo below, but the appearance and design of the locks is identical to what I am using.  However, when I received the set, I discovered that the included receiver lock was the model #SXT3, which has a shorter span (3".)  That was too short to work with my particular receiver.  It appears that my OEM receiver that came with my Toyota Tundra tow package is probably about 1/2" wider than other receivers.

Therefore, I had to return the set and separately order the SXT5 version (which has a 1/2" longer span) and SXTC2 coupler lock.  Unless things have changed since Jan 2019, Trimax does not sell a keyed-alike set for my particular application.

Keeping the above in mind, it is possible that you might be able to use the keyed-alike set, but you would need to measure the outer width of the receiver where the coupler lock pin will be inserted to make that determination.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I 2nd the Trimax sets, I have two sets and they are good but after a few years the SS they use rusts a bit. I think I replaced one set after around 10 years.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • HobieHobie Member Posts: 9
    Is it safer to use a coupler pin lock when towing, or a spring clip? I read about some of the locks falling apart after a time.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I also like the Trimax locks.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Hobie said:
    Is it safer to use a coupler pin lock when towing, or a spring clip? I read about some of the locks falling apart after a time.
    @hobie I’ve used a lockable coupler pin for years, but I’ve recently gone away from that, instead using the spring clip used to hold on the jack wheel.  When I remove the jack wheel for towing, that spring clip then is used as my coupler pin.  If I was ever away/out of sight from my vehicle while towing for period of time, I would probably go with a lockable pin.  Those occasions are rare though, so a spring clip is good enough for most occasions.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    If you do not leave your rig unattended for any length of time, or out of eye sight, than a spring clip pin works fine, never had one fall off.  A locking pin, offers some security whilst parked or away from the rig, but it only takes 30- seconds for some one to snap one off with a small bolt cutter. 
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • HobieHobie Member Posts: 9
    @TNOutback @Denny16 Thanks. It sounds like the spring clip pin might be best for on the road and the lockable coupler pin might be handy for short-term parking out of eyesight. Then maybe a ball-type coupler lock for the longer-term storage yard.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    For a max security lock, you have two choices, Proven industries Puck trailer lock and Ft. Knox Lock setup.  A lock that just goes into the ball, and around the trailer hitch (yoke style) can be removed with a hammer or pry bar in less than a minute.  They only act as a deterrent for a casual thief, someone looking to remove a trailer from a storage facility will have tools to remove most locks, except the two security locks cited above.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    IMHO, there isn't a lock on the market that can stop a skilled and determined their. Most thefts happen in storage.

I insure my trailer and use locks for storage and when I travel. A bolt cutter or other apparatus will draw attention and probably dissuade someone from trying to snag it from my vehicle. Of course they can cut it, but a lock helps keep honest people, honest.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Agree.  I use the Proven hitch lock when parked and disconnected from my TV.  I kind of like using the spring clip from the jack wheel as the coupler pin, since it forces me to remember to remove the jack wheel before towing!  I will likely though get a keyed-alike set for those occasions when I will be away from the coupled vehicle and trailer while traveling.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I just bought one of these...
    It'll "automatically" key to use your tow vehicle key!

https://www.boltlock.com
    Nice quality too.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @ChanW what if your TV is keyless  . . . :|
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, good point!

Keyless. I'm not sold on those. Dead battery? No getting in!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2020
    I was at the U-Haul place, getting the hitch ball turned upside down, and saw a set of Master locks all keyed alike.  It included a hitch pin, a receiver lock, and a lock for the hitch.  About $60 for all three.  I realize that Master may not be the best security, but I agree with jkjenn that the goal is to keep honest people honest.  If someone really wants my (insured) Tab 400, they'll figure out a way to take it.
    Note: I didn't get the 3 lock set yet, because I wanted to see what else was out there - but I DO like the idea of everything keyed alike.
    2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
    A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Professional thief's come equipped with cut off saws. A friend had a large flatbed trailer stolen from his office with a a number of ATV's and a cargo trailer full of equipment (surveying business). It was locked up with a very heavy chain, they figure about 30" and gone. They did end up recovering a good amount of the stuff and busted the ring that had been operating around Oregon. This was a number of years ago. Even the heavy hitch locks and Brahma wheel locks, etc. Are no match for a portable cut off saw. Do what you can and then buy insurance and hope you don't need it.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    edited January 2021
    I just ordered the same Trimax coupler and receiver locks (separately) that @Bayliss recommended, as well as a Trimax UMAX100 for the ball and chains. I previously bought some other brands that seemed solid, but the locks seized up after only 1 month in west coast 'winter' - almost no freezing temps, just lots and lots of rain was enough to do them in. I was lucky to get the crappy one off but it took lots of WD-40.
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    The biggest deterrent to theft after the locks/security, is having the trailer located where there are people around.

If it's in a residential neighborhood, I'm sure someone would notice a gas powered cut off saw cranking up at 3 in the morning.

The bigger problem is security at a boondock spot if you leave the site for the day to go hiking, kayaking, etc.

I lock the hitch at Disney's Fort Wilderness after we get set up, just to be on the safe side.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL