Options

Cheap AC Vent Separator

This keeps the hot exhaust air coming out of the rear of the AC unit from mixing with the intake air on the sides. Its held in place by the slits cut into the cardboard sides.  The only other addition was two pieces of foam insulation on the metal baffling side panels behind the bug screen.  Will do a "prettier" one now that the concept works.
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Tabaz - that is a good way to recycle a cardboard six pack carton😊
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Or the box my favorite mop came in!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Tabaz, nice concept.  I wonder if you could make the profile of the box smaller (i.e., extend out a shorter distance from the trailer) and add a curved deflector on each side to deflect the hot exhaust air toward the front and rear of the trailer?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Jgram2 - funny you should mention the O’Cedar mop box. My former housekeeper recommended it. While I shopped at Home Depot with it in my cart, THREE separate people commented on what a great mop it was. 
  • Options
    Bayless - I was surprised that air flowed away from the trailer from the two outer side (intake) vents. I attribute this to the fact I had the auxiliary AC computer fan turned on while the AC was running. I incorrectly assumed that fresh, cool air would be sucked in via the side vents. Will run another test this weekend without the auxiliary AC fan turned on.  Regardless, the air expelled from the box opening was very warm. Would not want it mixing with cool intake air.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Tabaz, actually, after I wrote the above post, I began to wonder if the air flow enters through the sides and exits out the center.  I just looked at the Danby owner's manual and it shows the exterior air inlet on the side.  See attached.  This would be consistent with the hot air being blown out through the box opening.  Am I correct on that?  (I will be interested to see how your test turns out.)

P.S.  This discussion thread may be of interest to you.  @Sharon_is_SAM mentions that the air on the Danby enters on the sides and exits out the center.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9569/danby-not-cooling-as-it-should
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    I have the Kenmore AC model.  Just ran a test in my carport in Phoenix AZ, w ambient temp of 100* at 8:30 pm.
    Big difference in airflow from the campground yesterday.  Noticeable airflow INTO the trailer from the side intake vents vs. hot exhaust from the box interior.  Not sure why this is happening.  Only difference from yesterday is having the cabin door open with screen deployed.  Side intake temps (with aux AC fan running) = 112* intake temp vs. 143* output exhaust temp from inside the box. BTW, the AC did a nice job of keeping the interior cabin cool during the hottest part of the day.
  • Options
    Thanks for test info, @Tabaz.  Good to know.

• Options
    The factory aux fan on top of the trailer "sucks in" air to cool the side vents on the AC.  This "cool" air enters the AC unit from the side vents, processed into cool cabin air and then exchanged into hot air that is expelled from the rear of the unit.  This very cheap and simple mod (while unsightly and repugnant to RV purest), seems to do a great job of keeping the opposing airflows separate.  I'd be happy to perform any additional tests recommended by the engineers on this forum because cardboard boxes are cheap and plentiful. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Bayliss  - Here is the original discussion from PopTab and how he used plastic deflectors.  The Danby does exhaust the hot air out through the middle of the outside vent where TaBAZ has the O’Cedar box and takes in cool air on the sides.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3564/air-conditioning-unit-change-out-part-2-ac-cabinet-modification/p1
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited August 2020
    I have been using a deflector on our AC vent for a long time.  Especially in very hot conditions.  This is simply 1/4" plywood taped together to form a duct and it hangs by a simple hook through the grating.  Hot air out and down.  Cool air in the sides and top.  Folds flat for storage.
    I definitely think it improves cooling in high heat and humidity.

• Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, thank you very much for adding the link to the discussion thread by @Pop-T@B.  I recall reading it in the past, but could not locate it.  Those clear deflectors that are depicted are exactly what I had in mind.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    rfuss928 said:
    I have been using a deflector on our AC vent for a long time.  Especially in very hot conditions.  This is simply 1/4" plywood taped together to form a duct and it hangs by a simple hook through the grating.  Hot air out and down.  Cool air in the sides and top.  Folds flat for storage.
    I definitely think it improves cooling in high heat and humidity.

Since hot air rises. I would consider directing the vent up and the heat away.  So that it isn’t drawn in the intakes.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    DanWeitzelDanWeitzel Member Posts: 59
    Here is my solution to this issue.  Replaced baffling between the AC unit & the outside grill.  Added an auxiliary fan mount on the AC grill to help pull out the hot air.  Use a 5 gal pail (bottom removed) to extend the fan discharge away from the intakes.
    2016 T@B 320 Qmax, 2020 KIA Sorento, The Woodlands, TX
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    That works. You may get tired of people asking what’s that for.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Well, @DanWeitzel, you take the prize for the most innovative, least expensive, permanent but removable for travel, mod for the deflection of air for the Cool Cat👍  I love it!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @DanWeitzel where did you run the power for the exhaust fan? Does it run only when the compressor and/or AC blower are running?
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO