Options

2015 T@B how do I know when the water tank is full - where will the water overflow to?

HI,
Hope you're all well and having fun camping.

We went to our first campground with water right at our site:)!
However, we were afraid to hook it up to the city water and leave it on because we don't know if there is something internal that would tell a 2015 T@B little guy that it's tank was full.
There are no gauges to help us know what we're adding.

Will it stop or will it overflow? If it overflows is that a flood inside the T@B?

We have the same question for when we pour the water in the other port because we can't get a feel for how much water it will take if we use the hose.

We've been using buckets to fill it but if there's an easier way please let us know.

Thanks! K
2015 Tab S with Alde 

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited September 2020
    @KAR, when you hook up a hose to your trailer at a campground, it does not send any water to the fresh water tank.  Instead, it simply pressurizes your water lines.  When you turn on the sink faucet(s), or shower, or flush the toilet, the water flows just like it does at your house, which is why you don't use the water pump when hooked up to water at your campsite.  In fact, the water pump should be "off" whenever your trailer is connected to a municipal water supply, such as at your campsite, or at home.  However, when you do not have a water connection available (e.g., when boondocking), you will use the water pump to pull water from your fresh water holding tank.

Generally, you don't have to worry about your trailer flooding, unless of course you develop a water leak somewhere inside the trailer.  As a precaution, I strongly recommend that you turn the water pump "off" when not in use, or not needed, both to preserve battery power and to prevent water from flowing uncontrolled in the event that a water leak does occur.  IMPORTANT:  whenever you are hooked up to campground/city water, you must have a water pressure regulator (sold at RV supply, Wal*Mart, Amazon, etc.) connected between the campground water supply and your fresh water hose.  Without that regulator, you can blow out your water lines, and then you will have problems.

To fill your Alde hot water tank (if empty) when connected to water service at a campsite, or at home, connect your hose to the water inlet on the trailer.  Turn on the water supply and then open the hot water valve at the kitchen sink to pull water into the hot water line and to fill the Alde tank.  You don't need to open the hot water faucet valve much.........in fact, you don't want to open it too far, because when first filled, there will be air in the water line and Alde tank that will "sputter" out of the faucet until the tank is full.  You will know that the Alde tank is full when the sputtering stops and the water flows freely from the faucet.  After the sputtering stops at the kitchen sink faucet, you should also briefly open the hot water valve at the indoor and outdoor showers to pressurize/fill those water lines and remove any remaining air.  You can do the same thing for the cold water lines, including the toilet.

To fill your fresh water tank, get yourself a fresh water tank filler hose attachment (see example using the link included below.)  Attach it to your hose and then stick the clear tube down inside the fresh water tank fill port.  Don't turn the water pressure on real high (to avoid premature blow-back.)  It will take some time to fill the tank, but when the tank is close to full, water will start blowing back through the overflow tube.  When that happens, you can turn the water pressure down a bit more and top-off the fresh water tank.  (The fresh water tank filler attachment is nice, because it has its own shut-off valve, which can also be used to control/reduce the water pressure while filling the tank.)  When filling an empty fresh water holding tank (e.g., for the first time before heading out on a camping trip), once it is about 1/2 to 3/4 full, you can simultaneously turn on the water pump and partially open the cold water valves (at the kitchen sink, toilet, indoor shower, and outdoor shower) to both prime the water pump, and to purge air from the cold water lines.  I recommend that you do this first at the kitchen sink, followed by the toilet valve, because those two valves are closest to the water pump.  Once the sputtering of air/water stops, and the water flows freely at the kitchen sink and toilet, do the same at the shower valves.

TIP #1:  When filling an empty fresh water tank, and priming the water pump, it helps to do that while you have access to electricity (either at home or at a campground.)  This is because you can run your water pump on electricity during the filling/pressurizing process, without running down your 12-volt battery.  You don't necessarily have to completely fill your fresh water tank (e.g., if you prefer not to carry the extra weight while towing), especially if you know you will have access to water at the campground.  You just need to fill the tank sufficiently to be able to prime the water pump and purge the air in the water lines during the initial filling process.  However, I do recommend that you completely fill the Alde hot water tank if you will not have access to electric and water hookups at your campsite.

TIP #2:  Whenever I am away from my trailer for an extended period of time (e.g., when on a long hike or sight-seeing), I usually turn off the water at the campground post "just in case" something goes wrong, such as a leak occurs inside my trailer.  It is unlikely that will happen, but it can, so I just prefer to be better safe than sorry.

I hope this info is helpful.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Tank-Filler-Shutoff-Valve-Quickly-Efficiently-Helps-Fill-Your-Eliminates-Line-Backflow-Lead-Free-5-8-Tube-40003/23500597?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=282&&adid=22222222227017151114&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40838744792&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-78652438952&wl5=1013442&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838817&wl11=online&wl12=23500597&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhbHkgd-t6wIVxx-tBh2uhAQTEAQYASABEgJIPPD_BwE

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    On my 2015 T@b, there was an overflow where water would start to overflow near front driver side, close to the fresh water fill.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @KAR - @Bayliss gave you a thorough explanation.  When you Boondock/dry camp and need to use the fresh water tank, if you try to fill the tank too quickly via a spigot and hose, it may back up and pour out the entry.  I think this happens because the air needs to escape and make room for more water.  Not sure if you have a small air vent on the 2015 model, but If so, that is designed to let air escape.  So, another way to fill the fresh water tank is to use a siphon hose and a 2.5 gallon jug of water that rests on your tub.  Very easy and no wet shoes😊
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    This group ROCKS! Thanks for the great explanations! So much to learn! Thanks:) K
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    To  Bayliss:

Agree, great explanation! Wish it was there when I first bought our new 2015 T@B! I had to learn through trial and error, pouring piece-wise through the manuals and various comments on this blog!

Another example of why this is one of the best user blogs in the world!

Fergie

• Options
    They are all super helpful for sure!

2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    KAR said:
    HI,
    Hope you're all well and having fun camping.

We went to our first campground with water right at our site:)!
    However, we were afraid to hook it up to the city water and leave it on because we don't know if there is something internal that would tell a 2015 T@B little guy that it's tank was full.
    There are no gauges to help us know what we're adding.

Will it stop or will it overflow? If it overflows is that a flood inside the T@B?

We have the same question for when we pour the water in the other port because we can't get a feel for how much water it will take if we use the hose.

We've been using buckets to fill it but if there's an easier way please let us know.

Thanks! K
    Normally the city water will not fill your fresh water tank.

But mine did because it seems like the one way valve on the outlet side of the water pump is bad or stuck, which allowed the water to go backwards thru the pump to the tank. This caused water to come out of the overflow port.

And yes I had the pressure regulator on the hose along with the filter.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Thanks. K
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited September 2020
    Still,  good idea to turn off the RV park water connection (and your water pump) when you are not in the trailer, like going out for a hike, or...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options

2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    Just to clarify to fill the Alde I can open just one hot water faucet? I was told to open all the hot water faucets but using the sink would make it easier. 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    Opening a single hot water faucet is enough, but more than that and it may fill faster.  Also, it will bleed the air out of your hot water lines by opening each one.  Same thing with the cold water lines - opening each will bleed the air.  If on city water, bleeding happens in seconds, but, if trying to bleed the lines via the water pump, it will take longer and use water from your fresh water tank.  That is why before a trip that you plan to use your fresh water tank, we recommend that you hook up to city water at home, fill your Alde tank and bleed your plumbing lines.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Just an FYI, based on the additional comments, and points made by @Sharon_is_SAM, I have expanded on my earlier post so that it incorporates that information.  Thanks!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)