Options

Dexter hub 'caps' removal

CmjmnewCmjmnew Member Posts: 6
2018 320s Boondock. Ready to re-lube Dexter bearings, but can't find out if I remove just the flat silver disk with the T@b emblem, or the whole black cone and disk as one piece to access the zerk fittings. Searched the site and got lots of help on regreasing, but only when you're down to the rubber cap on the hubs. I hate to damage anything. TIA

(Photo too large - deleted.  Moderator.  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/47/what-size-should-my-posted-forum-photos-be#latest)

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited September 2020
    @Cmjmnew, these photos are from my 2019 320 S Boondock Lite wheels.  I'm not sure if they are different than those on the 2018 T@B Boondock.  As you can see in the photos, the cover is held in place by some plastic tabs.  When I took these photos, the wheel was off for rebalancing.  I can't recall if I popped the cover off from the inside by pushing on the tabs, or if I used a thin pry tool (or maybe my finger nail?) to gently pry the cap from the black body of the cover.

NOTE:  Although it is a personal preference, some folks prefer not to use the EZ-Lube zerk fitting to re-pack the bearings, due to the risk of blowing out the seals if you apply too much pressure or grease.  Therefore, they remove the wheels for re-packing, or take it to a shop to have the work done.  Regardless, you should be able to reach the zerk fitting after removing the cover.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    From the video I saw, there is another black rubber cap inside the font of the hub, under the silver cap shown above.  The Zerk is under the rubber cap, which pops out with a small flat screwdriver.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks for the great photos. Very helpful. Looks like I could remove the silver cap OR the whole black cover to access the rubber dust cap and zerk fitting. 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    If the cover is like my 400, the larger hub cover requires removing the wheel first. Mine does not have a cap for zerk  access. As @Denny16 said there is a rubber cover on the axle spindle that covers the grease fitting. But use that with caution.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2020
    It sounds like it's the same as mine. There's a slight notch in the plastic cap disc that allows a pry tool. Do it gently going all the way around slowly. Underneath is a rubber plug covering the hole in the hub cap, and under that rubber plug is the zerk fitting.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Cmjmnew, as @qhumberd noted, you would have to remove the whole wheel to pop out the black cap.  As best I recall, my caps do not have a "notch," per se, as described by @ChanW.  I would have to carefully remove it by inserting a thin pry tool and moving it around the edge of the silver "T@B" logo to loosen and pry off the cover.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    It seems there is some variation among models and/or model years. My 2015 non-Outback/Boondock is as @Chan describes. Pop off the plain silver cap and the rubber plug, and the grease zerk is right there.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited September 2020
    Ditto with our 2017 CSS.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Seems they are essentially the same, though some models have a more decorative cap with the T@B logo.

In the above referenced discussion, mine looks more like @melpeter's than @BrianZ's 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes the flat silver cap prys off easily to give access to dust cap and hubs. Very simple.