winterize Tab 320

I'm a new Tab320 owner.  Today I started the winterization process.  Did well, drained the fresh water tank, gray & black water.  What I didn't do was switch the valves from Camping Mode to Winterization Mode PRIOR to starting adding RV anti-freeze via pumping it through the suction side of the water pump.

I caught my mistake and closed the valves to Winterization Mode.

Can I just finish the RV antifreeze part or start over?

Any advise appreciated?

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    The valves in camping season mode allow antifreeze into the Alde.  IF you do not intend to camp and use the Alde during the winter, it is ok to continue with the valves set to winterization.  You may have AF in the Alde, but that is okay as long as you don’t add heat by turning on the Alde.  If you choose to do this, leave yourself a note for next spring reminding yourself that you need to put the valves in camping season mode to allow the Alde to flush out.

You can check to see if any AF got in the Alde by pulling up on the yellow flapper of the Alde Safety/Drain valve.  However, it may not drain (the Alde bypass is open and there may be a bit of a vacuum).  So, no AF drainage does not mean no AF in the Alde.  If you do this, let us know what happens.  

If you want to start over, put your valves in camping mode and flush via city water.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I am a new owner of a used 2018 T@B 320S and am rather overwhelmed with all of the manuals I have been poring over.  I've been trying to figure what I need to do to try out my trailer for the first time.  The sellers said they had winterized -- specified that they put antifreeze into the shower drain, sink drain, and toilet.  They didn't mention the Alde except that it was probably time to replace the glycol (I am planning to just add to the expansion tank as the level appears to be below minimum, and they said they did not use the trailer very much).  They said they did NOT put antifreeze in the freshwater tank.  After reading this discussion, I guess I need to check the position of all of the valves related to the Alde before I try to start it up?  I'm such a newb!!!!
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    PNWtabber said:
    I am a new owner of a used 2018 T@B 320S and am rather overwhelmed with all of the manuals I have been poring over.  I've been trying to figure what I need to do to try out my trailer for the first time.  The sellers said they had winterized -- specified that they put antifreeze into the shower drain, sink drain, and toilet.  They didn't mention the Alde except that it was probably time to replace the glycol (I am planning to just add to the expansion tank as the level appears to be below minimum, and they said they did not use the trailer very much).  They said they did NOT put antifreeze in the freshwater tank.  After reading this discussion, I guess I need to check the position of all of the valves related to the Alde before I try to start it up?  I'm such a newb!!!!
    Somewhere around here is a pic of how the valves are supposed to be set for winterizing pre-Nautilus 320 models. Regardless, you can post a pic of yours and someone here will be able to help you determine your current setup. When I did mine for the first time, I actually labeled the valves with directional arrows to indicate camping versus winter positions.

No matter how it’s set, though, because you were not the first owner & there’s no way to know if they did anything properly, before you use the plumbing I strongly recommend flushing the entire system with plain water a few times. Then bypass the Alde and sanitize the rest of the system with 1/4 cup bleach mixed into a gallon of water. Pour into the fresh water tank inlet, fill the tank, and then run all that through your faucets. Rinse again at least once with plain water.

Nasty things can grow in RV water systems. Get it clean and keep it that way.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @PNWtabber, look on the left side of this page for Categories, click on User manuals, click on Winterizing Manuals, and select the appropriate one for your year of T@B. The necessary photos should be there.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • grcgrc Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for your advice Sharon.  I started over again and hooked up to city water and flushed everything out again

2. I drained the system using the valves, including turning the ALDE relief valve UP.

3. I switched the valves to "winterization mode"

4. I disconnected the in or suction hose from the pump and inserted a a hose into an RV antifreeze jug.  THE PUMP DOES NOT APPEAR TO DRAW MUCH FLUID FROM THE JUG.    ????????

5.  Perhaps I've missed it somewhere, but I can find no note to indicated whether the ALDE relief remains UP or DOWN for the winter.

Any comment gratefully accepted  GRC
    edited October 2020
    Thanks @VictoriaP.
    For flushing the system .... are any likely chemicals safe for the sewer system?  No, wait, if I am uncertain what is in the black tank, I should take the trailer to a dump station for flushing, right?  The seller said it was winterized, but ?????

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    PNWtabber said:
    Thanks @VictoriaP.
    For flushing the system .... are any likely chemicals safe for the sewer system?  No, wait, if I am uncertain what is in the black tank, I should take the trailer to a dump station for flushing, right?  The seller said it was winterized, but ?????
    Any time you flush the system, what comes out of the black tank should be assumed to be contaminated with fecal matter no matter how thoroughly the previous owner may have cleaned it, so yes, you need to dump appropriately. Draining to a street sewer is not acceptable. Assuming you do not have a sewer cleanout easily accessible at home, the easiest way to do this is to get a full hookup site for a night, but it can also be done at a dump station, or even by dumping into five gallon buckets which you then dump down a toilet.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Thanks, @VictoriaP.  I googled "dump station near me" and found an RV park nearby that will let people use their dump station for $5.  Seems the easiest solution!

@grc

4.  I disconnected the in or suction hose from the pump and inserted a a hose into an RV antifreeze jug.  THE PUMP DOES NOT APPEAR TO DRAW MUCH FLUID FROM THE JUG.    ????????   Check the pump filter to make sure there is not debris blocking it, make sure the plastic filter housing is tight and all connections to the pump are tight.  Lastly, you can use a turkey baster with AF and squirt it down the intake side of the pump.  That may help to eliminate air.

5.  Perhaps I've missed it somewhere, but I can find no note to indicated whether the ALDE relief remains UP or DOWN for the winter.  If you are sure that you emptied water from the Alde (I recommend measuring as it holds 2.5 gallons) you can close it (down position) because even a little water left in the tank will not hurt it.  Also, once you have the valves in Winterize mode, there may be a bit of a vacuum effect because the valves for the plumbing that leads in and out of the Alde water tank are closed.  Anyway, we close ours.
    Thank you again.  The pump has siphoned the AF and I believe I finally have it winterized.
    Which year and model TaB?
    2018 Tab 320 Sofitel.  Left the ALDE relief valve down or closed after draining.  I didn't measure the volume but elected to leave the hot, cold drains open along with the ALDE relief valve open for 3 hours.

We only obtain the trailer in March, on the road in May and like it very much.  It's a perfect size and we added a PahaQue awning. I love the almost silent ALDE heat.
    Sharon, the only real modification I've made to date is to swap our the two speakers in the rear with a premium pair and replace the antenna with one from Germany that is meant for a Renault or Citroen.  I had almost non-existent FM reception when I first obtained the trailer.  I removed the stock antenna and disassembled it.  There was a lot of visible rust or corrosion on some of the internal parts making it pretty well useless.  Works well now.
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    I have a funny story and a question.

first, funny story:
    about a month ago I carefully studied all the winterization directions and made little labels for each valve, which I taped in place in the Alde cavity, which seems to be my second home.

A couple of days ago I drained my tanks and went to continue with the valves only to find that there was just enough Alde glycol film in the cavity to make all of my note ink run and become illegible.

Why?  Turns out the clear overflow tube had pulled out of the rubber seal that directs overflow out the bottom of the T@B, and it was draining on the floor.

Why?  I suspect that the outside shower hose had pulled the drain hose out when last used.  I further suspect that the shower hose was accidentally looped around the drain hose... in any event, the cautionary tale is to make sure that the shower hose will extend/retract without disturbing items in the Alde compartment.

Remedy?  I zip tied all three pipes exiting through the floor together to increase their stability.

And now, the question:
    I poured antifreeze into the exterior water fill, then used the pump to distribute the antifreeze, and I did this successfully, I believe.

I do wonder if the water line between the outside hose shore connection and the pump bypass/water tank needs to be drained of water in any way because of a backflow valve or other obstruction retaining water in that pipe, or am I fine?  What empties water from that section of pipe?

Did I say how much I am enjoying the maintenance hobby part of this thing?  A lot -- really!
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,394
    @YanniLazarus, if you check out my plumbing schematic you will see that section that runs to the shore water connection is continuous with the rest of the CW distribution system. There is no bypass per se, just a check valve in the pump that keeps city water from running out into you FW tank.

In short, the short water connection line drains just like everything else, and fills up when you use the pump.
    2015 T@B S