Golf cart battery types/ratings

deucedeuce Member Posts: 47
In looking for the 6 V golf cart battery, I have discovered that they are further denominated as GC2, GC8, and GC12.

do any of our resident battery experts know what those distinctions mean?

@Sharon_is_SAM, @Denny16, @4ncar

Comments

• TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    Not a battery expert here.  I will be getting a new TAB320 next month. I am having the dealer replace the stock 12 volt battery with two Interstate GC2 batteries (6 volt).  As to the codes - It looks like GC stands for golf cart (deep cycle wet cell batteries) and the number has something to do with the battery voltage.  GC8 are 8 volt batteries, GC12 are 12 volts, and for some upside down reason the GC2s are 6 volts.  Not much help, I know.  I 
  • TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    These batteries are old school wet cell lead acid type.  The ones I am getting are 6 volt GC2s 225 amp/hr each.  In series they will provide over double the usable current in the crappy 12v that comes with the unit.  They are cheap, so I will be able to experience how well they meet my needs and can decide later to get a better designed, more modern battery (lithium or AGM type of lead acid) and more expensive set.
  • deucedeuce Member Posts: 47
    @TerryHutchinson

I guess I could use six of those GC2s to get up to a 12 V, LOL
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    GC 2,8,12 are the battery group sizes.  The TaB uses either 2 GC2 (6 volts) or 1 GC12 (12 volt) 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited October 2020
    MOD NOTE: I merged two discussions her that were from the same OP and appeared to be on the same topic. Carry on!
    2015 T@B S
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited October 2020
    These batteries are old school wet cell lead acid type.  The ones I am getting are 6 volt GC2s 225 amp/hr each.  In series they will provide over double the usable current in the crappy 12v that comes with the unit.  They are cheap, so I will be able to experience how well they meet my needs and can decide later to get a better designed, more modern battery (lithium or AGM type of lead acid) and more expensive set.
    I plan to take the same path with my (on order) 320 BD and would be interested to compare notes after using the setup. Unfortunately, my T@B won't be delivered until early next spring so my after-action review will be a while in coming.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I put 4 gc2 agms in my tab 400. Two in series with two in parallel. Gives me 440Ah at 12v. Its a squeeze and they are heavy. GC2 defines the physical volume, voltage and battery capacity. Although most GC2 are pretty close in dimension. Some are not.
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I'm  on year 4 with 2 Costco Interstate GC2's and they are still running strong.  We pretty much only boondock, and with the diminutiveness of the T@b we find them to be all we need.  Work great in cold weather unlike lithium.  If we didn't have the propane fridge, we'd probably need more juice. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• deucedeuce Member Posts: 47
    Who manufactures/sells the 6-volt in the smallest dimensions?