Norcold TAB 400 refrigerator dies

We have a 2018 TAB 400 but took ownership in August 2017. On a recent trip the refrigerator died. Called Norcold for help troubleshooting but no luck and no help. Had to take to a certified dealer and they came back and said very poor quality joints in the refrigerate lines that leaked the refrigerate and burned up the compressor. Norcold would not repair as they said they build them to be throw away. They would not replace as it was a year out of warranty. Offered nothing for a poor quality product that lasted a little over 3 years. I learned Nu Camp now uses another manufacturer. Have others had difficulty with the Norcold 2 way refrigerator and had similar experience with non action by the company?

I was not going to just replace with another Norcold so I did lots of research and ended up purchasing and installing a Truck-Fridge made for over the road commercial trucks. These get bounced around a lot. The unit fit perfectly in the small space and we are anxious to use on our next trip. This new refrigerator also has a 2 year warranty, but unlike Norcold they, Truck- Fridge, will repair the unit. This Truck Fridge was like $300 less then a new Norcold. Easy to install and hook up. Looks great.

Just wanted to share our experience.

PS: Have submitted complaints on Norcold to Better Business  Bureau and Ohio attorney general's office.

Comments

• Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Which model did you install? Just curious for future reference, in case mine fails in our 2020 400.

Thanks!

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited November 2020
    Dutch061 said:
    Which model did you install? Just curious for future reference, in case mine fails in our 2020 400.
    Hey Brad -- we're replacing ours when it's safe to do so. Probably late winter or early spring (I hope). Our particular unit in places we go was measurably unsafe in August and September but worked just fine mid-October. May, June and July are likely to be at least as hot here as August/September.
    After a lot of research and help from another T@B owner who posted, the only model that will slip right into the opening happens to also be the most energy efficient. It is a flush mount with clever screw-in anchoring that uses bushings to guide screw through refrigerator sidewall up front. It's a little bit pricey, but not out of line with other makes and models that would require more adaptation to securely mount.
    It's the Isotherm Freeline 115 made by Indel Webasto:
    Slightly larger overall capacity than the Norcold with bigger freezer, yet its cabinet has less depth, same width and less height.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    edited November 2020
    I just pulled out my 2-way Norcold fridge and noticed this corrosion:
    Am I right in thinking this is refrigerant leaking, and may eventually doom my fridge?
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    @johnfconway, the OP has a 2018 TaB400 which has a 2-way Norcold fridge, same as mine.  When it goes out, I plan to replace it with the new Isotherm Cruse 2-way, currently being used by nüCamp in the new TaB400.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    @Denny16, it looks like the Isotherm Cruise 65 will fit in the refrigerator spot, but you'll have to modify the drawer front of the drawer below the fridge - it sticks up too high.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    edited November 2020
    Thanks, will watch for this.  Our current fridge is still working, so no immediate plans to switch, just a back burner to keep in mind when the Norcold does quit working.  
    Cheers
  • AnnaAnna Member Posts: 4
    Which truck -fridge did you install?

• m_lewism_lewis Member Posts: 76
    @rh5555, that blue-green stuff looks like oxidized copper or copper sulfate, basically the result of the soldering flux not being cleaned after soldering. Poor practice, but typical of many. Until it eats through the joint, it's not leaking refrigerant, but when it does, the failure will be fairly sudden. Refrigerant gases are very small molecules and can get through the tiniest holes.
    You can try to use a stiff brush and remove it, then a flux cleaner to chemically clean the oxidation and the flux. I would try to be gentle with it, as the joint is weakened by the corrosion, you just don't know by how much.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite, BMW X3
  • Poche2Poche2 Member Posts: 7
    Our Norcold was a 2 way and the smaller unit below the cooktop. The Truck Fridge model is TF 65. Had to take off the top and bottom trim pieces on the fridge and took off the pull from the drawer below and fit right in, hooked up the wiring and just screwed the side trims on to hold the fridge in place. So far works great.
  • vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 71
    I too have a 2018 400 with the Norcold 2-way out of warranty (I purchased the trailer in Nov. 2017 and the warranty is 2 years). The compressor and external cooling fan both still run, but the refrigerator doesn’t get cold enough inside, nor is enough heat being produced outside. Also, the compressor is staying on continuously and I smelled something that could be hot lubricant from inside the coolant line, or an overheated compressor, at which point I shut the fridge down. So I’m pretty sure most of the refrigerant has leaked out. Like the OP, I have been told by the authorized local Norcold service center that they don’t repair leaks, they just replace the units (made in China). I haven’t pulled my unit yet to inspect, but now I will, and I will replace it with a better 2-way. Denny16, can you tell us anything more about why you would go with the Isotherm Cruise? And thank you, Poche2, for the Truck Fridge TF65 option. Have you used it and are you happy with it? I think a unit that can be repaired is a much better option than a throwaway one.
    @vhollow,  The isotherm Cruise 65 is a 2.3 cu ft. with a Danfoss compress, which is a more efficient.  It also,has some very good reviews, and is used in boats as well as RVs.
    cheers
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @johnfconway I like the layout of tge unit you show. I have a Norcold 3 way. It works great. Had some over 90 degree days and it stayed cold. Very power hungry for 12 V.
    I will definitely look at your option when it fails.
  • Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    We have been having issues with dial on our Norcold 2 way fridge. You have to turn it all the way past the level 5 to get the compressor to kick on. It also seems like you can't really turn the fridge down without turning the compressor off. Almost like the dial is mis-aligned. 
    2018 T@B 400
    2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Norcold has a great technical service group. Give them a call. Their phone number should be in the paperwork you received with your T@B 400. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks @Verna I will! 
    2018 T@B 400
    2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
  • Paul1959Paul1959 Member Posts: 21
    Hi Poche2,
    I was hoping that you could share your final results of the Truck Fridge experience.  The only concern that I have after reading you solution was the additional loading on the 12V supply that may limit charging current of the battery.  Please advise.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Paul1959 - Pouche2 has not been active for over a year.  Try sending him a private message.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Paul1959Paul1959 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks Sharon!  I was thinking that Poche2 had used a 12VDC only version of the TF65.  Now I see that there is version that is dual, just like the Norcold with 12VDC or 120VAC.  It is markedly higher in price - about $800.  Still less expensive that the original Norcold and it's recommended replacement.  I think knowing that, my original question is somewhat moot.