Options

Have you ever "practice" camped in your T@B in your own driveway?

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
edited August 2017 in Tips & Tricks
With credit to Dereco for first floating the question, here's another one for ya'...
2015 T@B S

Have you ever "practice" camped in your T@B in your own driveway? 100 votes

Of course. No way I'm headed into the wilderness unprepared!
74% 74 votes
Why would I do that? Solving problems on the fly is, eh, half the fun!
17% 17 votes
Only when I fall asleep while doing mods...
9% 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    NOTE: I've added "practice" to the question to reflect the fact that some of you may driveway camp just for fun. I probably should have included that option, but I can't edit the responses once the poll is under way.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I have definitely camped in the driveway just because I love my T@b!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I stuck a heater in my first teardrop, a LG 4-wide and spent the night in it out in the driveway while it was -6 F.  Slept like a log!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Darn, I can't choose both :o:s "Of course. No way I'm headed into the wilderness unprepared" & "Only when I fall asleep while doing mods..."! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    The first time was to make sure everything worked. All the other times were for fun...
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    We slept in it one night in the driveway to test the comfort of our bedding.  I would do it more if we were able to store it at home.  The next house will let me store it at home!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ericnliz said:
    Darn, I can't choose both :o:s "Of course. No way I'm headed into the wilderness unprepared" & "Only when I fall asleep while doing mods..."! =)
    Understand @ericnliz as camping can be tough on a participant and does require practice, preparation and safety   B)

I think we camped next door to that guy on Memorial Day. 
  • Options
     :rofl:@Michigan_Mike, Rookie!!!! That's what the practice is for. ;) Exactly why I choose NOT to camp on amateur weekends ie: 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, & especially NOT Ground Hogs Day. That one REALLY brings out the crazies!!! :o  
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    And on the flip side I've camped in my driveway out of necessity, when the power went off during a storm and the Fantsatic fan made allllll the difference in the world that warm and muggy summer night!  never missed coffee either!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Needed that one included in the poll. Nice, warm shelter when the power goes out!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Photomom said:
    ericnliz said:
    Understand @ericnliz as camping can be tough on a participant and does require practice, preparation and safety   B)

What? You were camping next door to me and you didn't say hello?  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    :rofl: Good one Scott!!!!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Just kidding. That's guy's got too much hair, the wrong grill, and different tastes in hooch.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    Photomom said:
    ericnliz said:

What? You were camping next door to me and you didn't say hello?  :-)
    Were you the dude who was singing "Yore momma said you wasn't worth a lick, when it come to brains you got the short end of the stick" until he passed out?
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 910
    We were so excited when we got ours in October, and we didn't have a hitch yet!  Fired up the Alde, ate dinner and listened to the World Series, and slept in our "new to us" T@b.  Had planned to test EVERYTHING, but was too tempting to fix breakfast in the house with temps in the 30's!

To be honest, with this being our first season with it, and trying lots of different destinations, each seems to be almost a maiden voyage with different challenges and different things to learn.  We are loving it!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Photomom said:
    Were you the dude who was singing "Yore momma said you wasn't worth a lick, when it come to brains you got the short end of the stick" until he passed out?
    Naw, that was my buddy. He was singing to me... 

Seriously, in fairness to my wonderful Momma, she was much more likely to oversell my virtues!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    kgreen_98kgreen_98 Member Posts: 11
    The first night I brought it home. 
    New T@B Owner. 2006 CS Max Clam Shell. She may be small, but she is a cutie.
  • Options
    Hale_HonuHale_Honu Member Posts: 15
    Got our new TAB a few weeks ago....slept in it on day 3.....a beautiful, cool, early fall night.  Now our daughter is sleeping in it as we have a house full of guests - never considered that - it will really come in handy for extra guests at Christmas time!  
    Dave and Colleen
    2017 Sofitel S Max |  2012 Tacoma SR5 Access w/Towing Package
    Ashland City, TN
  • Options
    SamrollseyesSamrollseyes Member Posts: 29
    Welcome! I did camp in my driveway for the first weekend(although I did use the bathroom inside my house). Great way to figure out stuff, especially for a newly like me!
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Welcome @Samrollseyes! Someone suggested to me when I was first figuring things out to put water down the sink and toilet (using both gray and black tanks), then learn to dump, draining the water out to your yard. It's not difficult, and using the indoor plumbing is a nice luxury in the middle of the night! Enjoy the journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep, the first night we had it home.

But we also camped in it on the way home, so I don't know if my answer counts.

Now it's our spare bedroom, and depending on the guest, either I or the guest gets to sleep in the Tab (some guest don't understand the honor of sleeping in the 'RV')  :o
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    We plan to as soon as it stops raining and gets a little warmer!
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    I also "practice" camping when I'm camping. Sooner or later, I'll get the hang of it.
    WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Since it’s stored in my pole barn/ project space it gets used when Nap monster comes calling.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    We practiced camped in the driveway  a couple of nights just after we bought the T@b, then went on our maiden voyage. Since then we have had a driveway sleepover with our 4 year granddaughter, and she loved it. Will do it more in the future, for sure.
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited November 2020
    We did test the TaB400 out in the old drive, by the Woods Cabin, gave a little feel of camping out in the woods.  We got our TaB400 just before the Covid-19 lockdown, so late June was the first trip out, just before the July 4 invasion.

Here is the TaB in the old drive:

cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    We park our t@b in our tiny backyard. It was snowing in May, 2016, when we brought it home. The boys were 9 & 10 then. We had a "movie night", tested the alde, and popped corn in the oh, so necessary small micrwave that has traveled all 35,000 to 40,000 miles we now have on the trailer. Glorious memories. As is now our usual, the t@b was fabulous, flawless and kept the outside elements away. Second best decision in our lives was the t@b. Best decision was to raise our grand nephews for nearly 13 years from the ages of 1 & 2 to the almost independent ages of 13 & 14. We still have the t@b and are blessed to have the memories of all our journeys and adventures as a family of 4 in it. Hooray for yard and driveway camping!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    I was lucky to find my "Sunny" (2014 T@B 320 S) in early November. First trailer ever! I had plans to head out to my favourite campground (without services) the very next day after I brought her home. That night, I laid awake, freaking out that I would wrap her around a tree at the campsite and worrying about the weather that had turned suddenly colder. So I decided to "play house" in the driveway, with electric power supply, and was that ever a good idea! Turns out I had no idea how to use the Alde heat, propane stove, or collapse the spring table to make the bed. It would have been a cold, sleepless night had I rushed out to the campground. Now I'm getting "Sunny" set up just the way I want (for now) and when I do head out, I hope it'll be a stress-free experience with no close encounters with trees. 
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    Cheryl13Cheryl13 Member Posts: 30
    absolutely.  Weekend in the driveway to figure things out.  2 weeks later at a State park for the weekend as a maiden voyage.  Left for cross country a few weeks after that!
    2021 T@B 400
    2019 Subaru Ascent