Options

What Are People Paying for the 2021 400?

Alright, I know this is a sensitive topic but I'm beginning negotiations with various dealers and was hoping to get a pulse on current street prices for the 400. It seems the overall MSRP on these has gone up quite a bit since its introduction. Granted that has come with many upgrades and changes over the years. Historically it seems like anything in the low 30k (for standard model) would be a decent deal...if you were under 30k that would be a great deal. With COVID I realize things have changed. 

For anybody willing to share, what have you paid for your 400s? Even a range would be helpful just to get a lay of the land.
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,027
    2021 T@b 400 standard floor plan, boondock, 3-way fridge, no microwave, $30k.  They are often listed between 35-45k.  At those prices you have a ton of wiggle room as the mark up is very high.   
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    $33,053 out the door...2021 T@B 400 Boondock (which includes solar & inverter), microwave and 12V fridge. And we've enjoyed the heck out of it!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,211
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Yeah, I think low 30s is probably realistic. Most dealers have come back with mid-high 30s so far.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    I went to 3 dealers 44k. :o   I was being quoted 35k in fall of 2019.  NuCamp is also going up 3% in January as well I believe.
    Its alot...but their still worth it.  
    That's in ca where everything is more expensive.
    Boondock
    12v fridge
  • Options
    runaway30 said:
    I went to 3 dealers 44k. :o   I was being quoted 35k in fall of 2019.  NuCamp is also going up 3% in January as well I believe.
    Its alot...but their still worth it.  
    That's in ca where everything is more expensive.
    Boondock
    12v fridge
    Yeah, I've noticed the posted prices in CA are above MSRP but in Oregon and adjacent they're back towards reality (mid 30s). I had a dealer tell me that if I lock in my order before January I can avoid the 3% increase...at least that's what he said.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    Yeah I heard the same on the price increase, I reckon that's legit.  I believe one of the moderators verified that as well.
    California is just out of control, I think the fire situation is adding to the demand as well, a lot of people have lost their homes and having an RV is suddenly an alternative if you live in a rural area.   I am sure you are no stranger to increased fire situation if you are in Oregon.

Go get- em and clue them in on the process to get the mods done with Austin that you want since you know the process.  If they  know as much as you do and know the process for the mods I would say they are a top notch dealer.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Location will impact price to as the longer the truck ride, the more the dealer has to charge.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    edited December 2020
    Standard package + solar + 3 way fridge + microwave $42,900 CDN ($33,200 USD). Exact same price at 2 separate dealers and no additional wiggle room since demand is off the charts.. 

Southern Ontario/Canada.. only 5 hour drive from Ohio HQ so not too bad..
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Just a thought here in case of interest. Your heart may be set on a 2021 (understandable to be sure) but it's likely there are some new 2020's out there that dealers might be a bit more willing to mark down and get off their lot. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2020
    Our 2021 Tab 400 Boondock with standard fridge and microwave is on order for 2021 Spring delivery: $33,900. That was list price on that lot at the time, no haggle pricing as demand was (and is) still running high. We bit because it's a local dealer less than an hour away from us and no other dealers we called or emailed would budge below $36k.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    EagsmanEagsman Member Posts: 1
    31500 boondock with solar panel. 3 way fridge, inverter, microwave out of central PA. Bought it on the phone immediately. Other dealers wouldn't budge from 39k.
  • Options
    AirBoss said:
    Just a thought here in case of interest. Your heart may be set on a 2021 (understandable to be sure) but it's likely there are some new 2020's out there that dealers might be a bit more willing to mark down and get off their lot. 
    I considered it but the tongue weight is actually a big deal for me. The 2021s are considerably lighter and  I’ve got a measly 990lb payload in my Tacoma and any weight savings I can find I’ll take. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Eagsman said:
    31500 boondock with solar panel. 3 way fridge, inverter, microwave out of central PA. Bought it on the phone immediately. Other dealers wouldn't budge from 39k.
    That seems like a good deal given the times. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    kmulhkmulh Member Posts: 36
    $34,500 for Boondock, no microwave, with Anderson wdh thrown in as well as a starter kit. I ordered 3 weeks ago for February delivery.
    2021 T@B 400 BD
    2020 F150 3.5 ecoboost
    Columbus, OH
  • Options
    JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    Where are you located? Miller Trailer Sales in PA by far had the best price, but I simply didn't want to get on the waitlist. I can't find the notes where I jotted the quoted price down, so I don't want to mislead you but I do remember they were just south of $32k on the trailer.
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
  • Options
    JabGopher said:
    Where are you located? Miller Trailer Sales in PA by far had the best price, but I simply didn't want to get on the waitlist. I can't find the notes where I jotted the quoted price down, so I don't want to mislead you but I do remember they were just south of $32k on the trailer.
    That is a good price. Unfortunately I’m out in Utah. I’m willing to travel if the price is right but not that far. My local dealer is stuck at $37k and won’t budge. I can’t, in good conscience, pay that much knowing I could travel a few states over and maybe save 4k. It actually would be a good road trip and maiden voyage for it too. Plus I haven’t had the best experience with this dealer in the past. And of course they threaten you with not servicing the trailer if you don’t buy from them.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2020
    Not servicing a TaB trailer because they did not sell it will not set well with nüCamp.  A TaB dealer is supposed to service any Tab brought to them, that is part of being a Dealer.  Our local dealer services our TaB 400, even though we did not buy it directly from them.  They even performed warranty work on it.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    JabGopher said:
    That is a good price. Unfortunately I’m out in Utah. I’m willing to travel if the price is right but not that far. My local dealer is stuck at $37k and won’t budge. I can’t, in good conscience, pay that much knowing I could travel a few states over and maybe save 4k. It actually would be a good road trip and maiden voyage for it too. Plus I haven’t had the best experience with this dealer in the past. And of course they threaten you with not servicing the trailer if you don’t buy from them.
    Threaten probably isn’t the right word there...many, if not most, RV dealers only service actual RVs they’ve sold. There’s a severe shortage of RV techs across the country, enough so that repairs can take quite some time. As such, it’s not hard to see why dealers reserve the right to put their own customers ahead of some random they’ve never done business with before. Frankly, if they sell even a reasonable amount of inventory yearly, they don’t need to service anyone else’s rigs because they’ll have plenty to repair (probably too much) just with their own past customers. It’s neither right nor fair, but it’s pretty much an industry standard. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I can see putting a customer’s rig first ahead of a unit they did not sell, fair enough.  But by definition being a Dealer usually entails servicing other area RVs.  What if car dealers only supported  or serviced cars they sold, what do you do when you need servicing whilst on the road, and you are not close to your dealer who sold you the vehicle?  Putting new RV units ahead of units in for service is also to be expected.  But to not service a unit at all is not good business.
    A good service department can make as much money as selling RVs...
    cheers
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    Not servicing a TaB trailer because they did not sell it will not set well with nüCamp.  A TaB dealer is supposed to service any Tab brought to them, that is part of being a Dealer.  Our local dealer services our TaB 400, even though we did not buy it directly from them.  They even performed warranty work on it.
    cheers
    I actually reached out to Nucamp and they said this can be the case with some of their dealers...not the best practice but I guess they reserve the right. Honestly I doubt they’ll turn me away (probably won’t even remember me) as they’ll want to build a relationship for future service. Idle threat by the salesmen. Nucamp did also say they can work with non-network dealers too but it’s a little more complicated to get set up...but still possible.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    JabGopher said:
    Threaten probably isn’t the right word there...many, if not most, RV dealers only service actual RVs they’ve sold. There’s a severe shortage of RV techs across the country, enough so that repairs can take quite some time. As such, it’s not hard to see why dealers reserve the right to put their own customers ahead of some random they’ve never done business with before. Frankly, if they sell even a reasonable amount of inventory yearly, they don’t need to service anyone else’s rigs because they’ll have plenty to repair (probably too much) just with their own past customers. It’s neither right nor fair, but it’s pretty much an industry standard. 
    No, I get it. But I just thought it was tacky to use that as a way of swaying my decision. Maybe if the RV industry in general made a better product they wouldn’t be swamped with repairs (don’t get me started on our popup we own right now). This is a huge reason I want to go with Nucamp. The quality.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    I can see putting a customer’s rig first ahead of a unit they did not sell, fair enough.  But by definition being a Dealer usually entails servicing other area RVs.  What if car dealers only supported  or serviced cars they sold, what do you do when you need servicing whilst on the road, and you are not close to your dealer who sold you the vehicle?  Putting new RV units ahead of units in for service is also to be expected.  But to not service a unit at all is not good business.
    cheers
    I totally agree. Why not just tell me that I may not get service in a timely manner because of their commitment to their current customers? He just didn’t word it very well at all. And the thing is, if I ever needed paid service (not warranty work) they could have a long-term customer with me. Defies logic.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    cheers
    Like I said, it’s neither right nor fair, and I agree from a customer perspective, it’s doesn’t seem like good business. But it’s also understandable, given the shortage of service people, and given that so many dealers are so swamped with repairs that getting work done can literally take weeks to months. That was already happening pre-pandemic, and now the parts shortages and increased sales this year have made it worse. They obviously don’t need the additional business if they already have a perpetual wait list for service. For that matter, many car dealers will also put non-customers to the bottom of the schedule for service. I’ve had it happen when I moved away from my dealer and the closest one in the new town was one of the busier ones in the state.

Have a problem while on the road? Sure, call the local dealers, but be prepared for a “Sorry, we’re booked six weeks out”, and then ask them for referrals to local or mobile RV mechanics. A friend of mine is a travel nurse; she’s had her Winnebago trailer serviced by multiple mobile techs, because “her” dealership is usually several states away, and the local Winnie dealers almost never have room in their schedules.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers
    Like I said, it’s neither right nor fair, and I agree from a customer perspective, it’s doesn’t seem like good business. But it’s also understandable, given the shortage of service people, and given that so many dealers are so swamped with repairs that getting work done can literally take weeks to months. That was already happening pre-pandemic, and now the parts shortages and increased sales this year have made it worse. They obviously don’t need the additional business if they already have a perpetual wait list for service. For that matter, many car dealers will also put non-customers to the bottom of the schedule for service. I’ve had it happen when I moved away from my dealer and the closest one in the new town was one of the busier ones in the state.

Have a problem while on the road? Sure, call the local dealers, but be prepared for a “Sorry, we’re booked six weeks out”, and then ask them for referrals to local or mobile RV mechanics. A friend of mine is a travel nurse; she’s had her Winnebago trailer serviced by multiple mobile techs, because “her” dealership is usually several states away, and the local Winnie dealers almost never have room in their schedules.
    Well put. I think being as self sufficient as possible is the real key to all of this. We’ve avoided a ton of service visits with our popup just by doing things ourselves. Granted the popup is light years behind in build methods and technology vs. a T@B but you can do a lot on your own if you have the time. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    JabGopher said:
    No, I get it. But I just thought it was tacky to use that as a way of swaying my decision. Maybe if the RV industry in general made a better product they wouldn’t be swamped with repairs (don’t get me started on our popup we own right now). This is a huge reason I want to go with Nucamp. The quality.
    I’m a little surprised they stated it so flatly, most sales people are not nearly that honest! (Apologies to any sales folk lurking here, but, personal experience indicates the forthright ones in both the auto and RV industries are a minority.) I definitely think poor quality across the bulk of the RV industry is a big contributor to the problem, and the smaller number of people overall going into trades as opposed to college is another factor. 

Price-wise (to get back to the main topic), I’ve said it before: if price is an issue, I would wait another year before buying. We’re at the top of the pricing bubble right now due to travel limitations imposed by the pandemic. Dealers have no reason at all to negotiate in a sellers’ market, and why should they, when the next customer to walk in will likely cave and pay their asking price? 

Meanwhile, the economic impacts from all this mess continue to spread, which means some of those buying now aren’t going to be able to make their payments. Another chunk are first time RVers who will either find this hobby isn’t for them, or that the particular RV they chose was a poor fit. Between those two factors and the eventual return to travel by air, there will be a influx of used rigs entering the market within 18 months (possibly sooner), and that plus the decreased demand will in turn will drive prices back down on both new and used models.

But if you’re going to buy now regardless: As mentioned in one of your other comments, yes, the more you can DIY repair and service, the better suited you are to buying from a non local dealer in order to get a better price. If you buy out of state, test everything thoroughly. Study especially hard on the Alde, as that’s the one system I would be most concerned about, because it’s not a common appliance like say, a Norcold refrigerator, and there’s a limited number of techs familiar with it. Confirm it’s set properly and both heat & hot water are working to your satisfaction prior to bringing the trailer more than a few miles from your dealer. Plan to camp for a few days nearby to make sure everything is working before heading home.Everything that’s industry standard, you can probably DIY or find someone who knows how to fix it relatively easily, but the Alde is a little problematic in terms of both parts availability and service techs who know how to work on it.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited December 2020
    The part of this discussion talking about service just seems so out of kilter. Car dealerships make most of their profit out of the service department (according to NADA).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    p21usap21usa Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2020
    2021 T@B 400 BD (2 way-Isotherm fridge, no microwave) with tax, tags, and title $34,300 US (purchased August 2020 in Virginia).
  • Options
    CrabTab said:
    The part of this discussion talking about service just seems so out of kilter. Car dealerships make most of their profit out of the service department (according to NADA).
    Well, it’s similar to the issue hospitals are facing right now. There’s only so many trained people, and demand is outpacing supply. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    That is due to the unusual COVID situation we are in now, not usually the norm.
    But many areas do have a short of health care workers, and this has been an ongoing situation in this country for quite some time, which is further stressed by the pandemic.
    We live in uncertain times these days...
    cheers
  • Options
    SuzAlleySuzAlley Member Posts: 2
    ChrisFix said:
    $33,053 out the door...2021 T@B 400 Boondock (which includes solar & inverter), microwave and 12V fridge. And we've enjoyed the heck out of it!
    Wow, That’s exactly what I’m looking for, what dealer and where?