2021 T@B 320S - Your experience

ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
Curious about your experience with the 2021 T@B 320S - including BD model.  I like the addition of the sink in the wet bath, the microwave, and the split cushion.
Not so sure about moving the outlets in the kitchen area below in the cabinet.  Seems an awkward place especially since mine is filled to the max.  What's your experience with this?

The cassette toilet is new also.  Happy with this change?

Also, in the YouTube videos showing the new LP tub, there are no batteries inside.  Is that now a separate purchase?  Suggestions on this, if so?

Also - when should one consider a BD vs S model?  Thanks!
Aggie/ 2021T@B320S; Alde Compact 3020 HE/ 2021 Subaru Ascent
Rockville, MD (a D.C. suburb)

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The battery is in the tub, and is installed by the dealer when the TaB320 series is sold.  This gives the customer a battery choice if they like.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Hi Zippy,. The old location was for the outlets was a bui of a pain because plugs or battery chargers wanted to fall put due to gravity. I purchased a very short white extension cord for the under the sink outlets and it works perfectly. It saves having to dig in and put of there all of the time. 

The cassette toilet is a win, for me, so far. I loved being able to empty it in the pit toilet when dry camping. I plan on picking up a spare cassette in 2021 for convenience, too.

As far as a Boondocks model, there are some nice perks, but 2 things come to mind. The Boondocks model comes standard with solar and also you get higher clearance with the boondock model. There are other differences, but those would be the 2 most functional differences. The step on the Boo dock model is really rock solid, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    jkjenn said:
    Hi Zippy,. The old location was for the outlets was a bui of a pain because plugs or battery chargers wanted to fall put due to gravity. I purchased a very short white extension cord for the under the sink outlets and it works perfectly. It saves having to dig in and put of there all of the time. 

The cassette toilet is a win, for me, so far. I loved being able to empty it in the pit toilet when dry camping. I plan on picking up a spare cassette in 2021 for convenience, too.

As far as a Boondocks model, there are some nice perks, but 2 things come to mind. The Boondocks model comes standard with solar and also you get higher clearance with the boondock model. There are other differences, but those would be the 2 most functional differences. The step on the Boo dock model is really rock solid, too.
    Jenn, you’ve had both an S and a Boondock. Any differences you’ve felt in towing with the additional height, or seen in changes to gas mileage?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    VictoriaP said:
    jkjenn said:

Jenn, you’ve had both an S and a Boondock. Any differences you’ve felt in towing with the additional height, or seen in changes to gas mileage?
    Well, my S was upgraded to most things Boondock, so probably not a fair comparison, but I didn't notice an impact on towing or mileage.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    jkjenn said:
    VictoriaP said:
    jkjenn said:

Well, my S was upgraded to most things Boondock, so probably not a fair comparison, but I didn't notice an impact on towing or mileage.
    Yeah, figured you had it for a couple of years prior to upgrading the axle and might have noticed a difference. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @ZippyA...we have a CS-S Boondock...love the location for the plugs..we also have a small power bar like jkjenn..I can only imagine having to work with plugs near where you're washing or cooking..our trailer is currently winterized so I can't comment on using the cassette toilet as we decided to use it with a bag and some kitty litter, but it was nice to not have to leave the trailer😁, love the tiny sink in the shoilet as it gives you some nice floor space and so much easier with the glycol reservoir in there too...our previous trailer was a T@g so we are noticing a but more gas being used...2021's upgrades we're a good reason for us to upsize...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
    Thanks all.  @ontheroad - the glycol reservoir is in there?  Not in the back behind a panel that I had to unscrew?  Such an awkward location as I tried to stick my head under to see how much glycol was there.
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    edited December 2020
    @ZippyA ..In the 2021 it's in the wet bath...above the toilet ,below the sink..a much easier location..,IMO..than previous "S" year models..you stilI have to remove a panel and then I used a mirror and flashlight...so easy to see!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • vshumatevshumate Member Posts: 6

WE ARE SO DISAPPOINTED.  We got our 2021 320s in November and only had 2 camping "shakedown" trips. 1) The first trip the water feed hose in the cassett toilet chamber sagged and prevented the cassette from going all the way in & the hole for toilet bowl was off a tad& leaked water around the cassett, in the chamber and under shower(we had water seeping into kitchen area)  we were able to duct tape the sagging hose to get the cassett all the way in.  2) second trip we were awaken by the water pump running.  No one was up to run water and again found water seeping under the shower into kitchen area.  Opened the bathroom door and FLOODED.  the toilet was overflowing and switch to run water into toilet bowl was constantly on, drained our fresh water, water flowing out of cassette chamber outside,  and the cassette full.  So for the rest of the trip(luckily close to home and just paid for 2 nights)  campsite was boondocking so we turned off water pump and had to go to shower house to get water in our 4 gal container.   BTW these issues were all reported, called our dealer and we could not get in to the service department until January.   So took it in the first of January and they were just able to look at it the first of February.   Thought they fixed it and rig stayed @ dealer and switch running constantly again.  Diagnosed a possible switch and ordered part.  Got the part & installed last week (Feb 11)  that was not the issue.  Now ordered control board and waiting on that part.  So TWO MONTHS this new trailer has been out of commission.   We are in western NC,and some weekends have been warm but we are still not able to use the camper.  We had a little guy silver shadow for 7 years, never a problem, now starting to regret this purchase.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    First year with the cassette toilets- bound to be some flaws.  
    As a general rule, we keep the pump turned off when not in use.  We also turn off the water supply when we are away from the camper.  We had a shut-off valve installed on the water supply to our toilet to be able to turn off the water in the event of a leak.

Is it the switch on the Thetford toilet?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
    OUCH.  @vshumate - so sorry for all of your troubles.  I pick up  my 2021 in March and will be first time using a cassette toilet.  Now a just a tad scared.....
    ZippyA said:
    OUCH.  @vshumate - so sorry for all of your troubles.  I pick up  my 2021 in March and will be first time using a cassette toilet.  Now a just a tad scared.....
    Don't let one isolated problem scare you. Weeks in my 2021 T@b 330 with a cassette toilet and zero problems. 

@rvshumate It stinks that you are having issues but parts shortages are hitting every facet of the market due to Covid. Hopefully your issue will be resolved, soon. If you don't think your dealer is acting with the right level of attention, you can reach out to nuCamp.

• northillnorthill Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2021 320S and love it. The cassette has been great - easy to handle and no need to search for sites with sewer. The electrical under the sink has been remedied with an extension cord but I have not been able to use the USB because you have to almost stand on your head to plug it in. I've used the microwave numerous times and, though it is small, it has a lot of power. The fridge runs great and I like the spark ignition to the stove. We really like the split seat backs for reclining and the very simple adjustable, pull outs for twin beds to leave some floor space. I also like the new cabinet latches and the drawer under the fridge. We don't use the bathroom sink because it's kind of awkward reaching over the toilet - but it's good storage. My only wishes are - 1) That it is easier to access the back stabilizers. I have to be almost on the ground to see where to adjust them.  2) I wish each side of the back had USB ports and 120 outlets - instead of one side having the USB and one side the 120s. 3) I wish the kitchen outlets were easier to reach - instead of back in the corner.  4) I wish the lower wood storage in the back had 2 or 3 top openings - instead of just one long one.
  • mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    We've had our 2021 320S Boondock for 11 months - the cassette toilet is great.  Most of the 2021 upgrades are good for us.  We almost bought a 2020 so were actively looking when both were on the lots and could compare easily.  The parts and components seem to be of good quality and the design improvements generally well thought out. 

Build quality is another matter. We've had 21 issues so far to fix since our dealer is 2.5 hours away, I've had to handle all of them except the last one.  They've ranged from many different water leaks in both the water lines and undersink drains, external molding coming off, trailer delivered without working shore power (reverse current fuse not installed), the A/C broke loose and slid around in the back on the trip home from the dealer, replaced a warped cabinet door that wouldn't stay closed, cassette toilet handle kept popping off (there was an extraneous pieces of plastic wedged down inside the connecting point that had to be removed), caulk missing from some bathroom joints, rear push handle covers not staying on, stove ignitor didn't work at delivery and had to be replaced, stove glass top wouldn't stay up, had to be replaced, the pullout seat hinge screws pulled out and the legs had to be rebuilt after falling off, window shades fell apart on two windows, pump wouldn't shut off on our first trip, pressure had to be adjusted, Alde drain cock leaking - now in for repair.

NuCamp Warranty has been extremely helpful in getting the parts I've needed and the technical support has been generally good.  Overall, I really like the unit but the list of problems is getting pretty long and they're still showing up.  We have yet to be able to take a trip, return home, and not had to fix something that either broke, leaked, or went so far out of adjustment that something didn't work.  I know others have obviously had better luck and I'm happy for them - I just hope ours gets better soon.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    We've had our 320S BD for almost 11 months and had at least once a month camping trips.  We had the normal(?) stove top issue - missing but I put it on and it's worked fine. The rear brush tubing has a finish that should be an embarrassment to Nucamp but it's functional. Otherwise no issues. I've updated the AC mount & sensor mod. The only problem with quality has been the shower drain was defective and bent with the first use. I've found the front screen is very easy to melt from stove heat and needs a good draft to keep heat from it. We've been very happy with our trailer this past year. I do worry every time I hear of a problem that with the warranty ending soon we'll be in trouble but it has been trouble free. The problems I've had are from my own learning curve.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    We went from a 2018 320S to a 2021 320S BD. We have had some problem with the water mixing valve, but the dealership set that right last week. Other than that we've had fewer problems than we did with the 2018. Each machine is its own, so that indicates nothing.
    As far as differences, I think the 2021 pulls nicer, or easier. I hope no one asks why. Just a perception. I like the tub, bathroom, cassette, table, storage and step, and those are the reasons we updated the trailer. We primarily boondock so the cassette toilet was the main objective.
    The Nautilus is a gem. I'm going to enjoy that. I've even mastered pumping water into the trailer. Nice design.
    There is a bunch of little things, like the placement of the switches and the water gauges that are better. And the placement of the overhead roof light is an improvement.
    We often park off of rough roads so the larger BD tires are nice. Tire storage is fine, and the fact they left the under frame storage in place is even better. The BD tires don't fit, but it give shaded storage for the tire when at home.
    And I like the fridge. So far the solar has been more than the fridge has demanded. We've had no power issues.
    the one negative is the step light.  Why couldn't they just have run that off of a separate switch, or maybe the porch light. I really don't like it running 24/7, so will probably disable it.

...Doug

...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    We've had our 2021 CS-S for 10 months now.  The day after delivery we left for a 24 day 7000 mile journey from Oregon to St. Louis and back.  This was not our first nu-Camp trailer.  We have also owned a T@G and T@B 400.  Much more room than the T@G plus a bathroom.  Not nearly as hard to pull as the 400. 
    I am a fan of the cassette toilet.  We found no trouble keeping it empty and clean. 

We love the outdoor kitchen.

We are not big microwave users.  Since returning from our first trip I took it out and have replaced it with a Cusinart Airfryer/Oven.   I have had a Sportsman 2200 watt generator again, since the T@G days (runs on propane) for the little bit of time when we need 120 volts. 

We found the bed to be rather hard and just a tad short.  The CS-S sleeps wheel to wheel.  We stopped after the first night and found a 2 inch topper at Walmart.  It worked for that trip, but we have been investigating something with more comfort.  We're getting old. 

I have made plans to switch the sleeping to two singles with a very narrow pathway between the beds.  A flip up shelf supports my feet.  My wife said she can easily sleep on the bathroom side curled up.  I don't need a wide space - just length. 

Because it is not a Boondock, it did not come with any solar panels.  I probably would have taken a Boondock, but there were none available with the COVID crunch last summer and we were happy to get what we could without having to wait another year.  It actually handled some gravel roads in the Big Horn Mountains rather well, but it wasn't designed for any rock hopping.  I mounted 200 watts of solar on top of the pickup bed (a 2015 Tundra with a Tonneau cover) to work at charging the battery.  I also have another 100 watts of suitcase solar for use when we are stopped.  We found the dealer supplied battery to leave us a bit short for power if we were to boondock more than one night.  See next paragraph.

The fridge works well but it is too small for our needs.  I picked up a used ARB this past winter and also acquired the slide that goes with it out so we can stick it in the pickup bed and pull it out easily to access the contents.  It is a very close fit, but works.   I have wired things so that the ARB runs off the battery in the trailer.  So I am pushing solar power from the pickup to the trailer and then the trailer is pushing power back to the pickup bed to ARB.  I am now in the process of replacing the 12 battery in the trailer with two 6 volt golf cart batteries.  I am going to move the 12 volt to the pickup bed and let it power the ARB.  I am looking into the DC to DC charger within the pickup. 

The outdoor shower hose beneath the sink was cumbersome.  I cut it off and set it up so that I have all the hose I want on the outside (it's flexible metal shower hose and easily stores in the water door compartment).  I just pull it out and attach it when needed.

I really like the Nautilus water system.  The pump quickly fills the water tank when needed.  It is great for winterizing and sanitizing the water system.  We have not had any major leaks in the water system.

I did also put in the $10 fix to the Fantastic Fan.  What a difference!  And that too was some of our huge power loss last summer on our first trip.

The Alde and water heater have worked flawlessly.

What a great camper for two people.