Options

washing up

Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
How do you Boondockers out there wash up dishes and pans etc to conserve water?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Here’s the secret. A pump handheld sprayer. Put fresh clear water in the pump sprayer, pump it up and use the pump to rinse your dishes. 

I’m adding a second pump sprayer to my arsenal, and I will add a few drops of Dawn , fill with water, pump it up, and spray it on the dishes, wash them and then spray with the clear water for rinsing. 

Think of the few seconds of water you waste and let go down the drain as you wait for the hot water to reach the kitchen sink—no more with the two spray bottle method. 

Is it sanitary? Well, the dishes at home aren’t greasy and yucky in my tests, and I know @Homebodyatheart has been using this method, but with more Dawn than I am describing. 

If ask “Why Dawn?”  I am no longer buying any special cleansers at home. If I spill red wine on a t-shirt, take it to the sink, spray it with the Dawn sprayer mixture (or full strength if it’s a lot of wasted wine😉), use a nail brush and brush it to get the stain out. Then rinse with clear water and the stain is gone. It works to remove blood, grease and other stains, too. So, if Dawn is good enough to clean up oily wildlife after a spill and remove blood and wine ftom clothes, it’s good enough to stay in my house/camper. 

(I have no financial interests in Dawn, just a really satisfied customer!)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I concur with Verna. The other thing you can do is get one of those sponges where the handle holds soap and and combine sopa and water. I, too, use Dawn. It just works.

The key is to do a good job scraping. Before I wash, I thoroughly with a plastic food scraper.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    First start by eating what's on you're plate, lick it clean if it's a really good meal!  If needed pre-wipe the dishes and just use a little hot water to conserve it.  No need to have to buy and store another gadget to wash dishes in my opinion.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,668
    edited January 2021
    I don't like to cook anything that will require a greasy clean up.  Simple is better.  Verna's spray bottle trick was the first trick I learned from this group, and it just works perfectly.  A running faucet is a waste of fresh water, and a waste of gray water capacity. 
    The only more efficient way of washing dishes is paper plates you dispose in your campfire!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 80
    We agree with @bergger.  Our dishes get wiped down after meals.  We carry two nesting plastic dish pans under the sink in our 400.  One gets about an inch of water with the soap.  The other is for rinse.  We typically set everything out on a dish towel on the table to air dry.  The soap is all biodegradable so we don't feel bad about tossing it out on the ground if there isn't a real place to dispose of it.  After we dump the wash pan, we rinse it with the rinse water.  Really simple.  Works great.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    On the boat, we had two wash basins, one with soapy hot water, and a second with clear rinse water, with a bit of bleach in it.  You scrapped your plate, dunked it into the hot soapy washed it off, drained the excess water off, then dunked it into the rinse water.  A crew of 13-14 did this for each meal. No running water used.  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I've always done similar to @Denny16 when tent camping.  Assumed I would continue to do so with the trailer, but willing to learn other methods.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    edited January 2021
    I use @Verna’s soap sprayer method after scraping and swiping with a paper towel, then a bit of boiling water from the kettle poured over as a rinse into a dishpan.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    As far as the Girl Scout method of adding bleach to the rinse water....I’m allergic to bleach/chorine and do not even have any in the camper.  I can’t even swim in chlorinated water—that is a great loss....  I’ll stick to my method.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I used Dawn Platinum Powerwash Dish Spray this past season. It seems to work pretty well. If I'm in a place where it's OK to dump the gray water I use Dr. Bronner's.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited January 2021
    Two nesting tubs, one with a little bit of soapy water, and the other to hold the clean dishes. I use the outside shower to rinse, over the tub of soapy water. Very sparingly. The first few rinses are cold, until the the lines clear and hot for remaining rinses. A full dinner clean up for two, including pots & pans uses less then a quart of water. Biodegradable soap, and dish water goes into a cat hole. FWIW...I cook just like I cook at home. I like food!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @Marceline...I picked some of that up just to try...like it on stubborn residue from cooking..thinking with that and @Verna's pump it would work...of course regular "dawn" would still be packed since it truly works!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Great ideas. Ill put those into use on my drive back up from Florida to Connecticut.
  • Options
    aphillipsaphillips Member Posts: 27
    I love this forum and everyone's helpful suggestions. I recently tried the Seventh Generation foaming dish spray and it worked great! It is basically @Verna's suggestion about the Dawn, but already premixed and biodegradable. After wiping off our dirty dishes into the trash can, a few sprays was all that was needed to wash all of our dinner plates. The only water needed is for getting your sponge wet and for rinsing. I do that in a separate tub filled with as little water as possible, so it really saves on gray water. 
    2022 Tab 400 Boondock