What do you use for extra fridge space?

We know the fridge is too small so looking at getting perhaps a Yeti or portable ARB or Dometic 12V fridge in the back of out jeep on slide out tray
2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    ARB 50 qt is my answer. I can keep meat frozen in the middle section, but keep butter and yogurt cool on top of groceries in the middle section or in the dairy section. 

It is also a miser of 12V power. Maybe with the Victron smart shunt I’ll be able to tell exactly how many amps it uses. But I’ve never had a meter that could exactly tell me what it takes for it to run because it uses so little. 

I keep it on the rear floor of my F-150, and I do keep flannel quilted dog blankets on top of it to help keep it cooler. I also have the ARB external insulated canvas cover on it. 

Be sure to look for longevity in whatever you choose. Mine is 8 1/2 years old, and I typically camp 4 to 6 months a year, two years full time (the ARB didn’t shut off for over 2 years).  It does come with a 5 year warranty on the compressor. 

So, I have actually paid $100/year for this ARB and the price per year keeps going down from here (knock on wood). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    2X Verna's comments.  I too have the ARB 50 quart.  Very efficient use of power.  I keep it in the back of my Ford Expedition behind the passenger seat.  Use the truck's 12V while in transit.  Have two separate lines for the campsites.  One is 12V that plugs into a separate SAE outlet in the propane tub when boondocking.  The other is simply a 110V extension cord for the electric pedestal at the campsite.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I went smaller than Verna, and picked up an Iceco Go20 fridge on sale last year. But I’m a weekender and don’t need as much additional space as someone who is taking longer trips or fulltiming. Whatever you choose, makes sure it has a Danfoss/SECOP type compressor, as those are far more energy efficient.

Lots of people go the Yeti/knockoff ice-based route though. Simple, and no extra demands on your batteries.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @NovaTab, when at a campsite, I move the ARB’s cord to the SAE plug on the tongue box. The dual AGM batteries and solar panels take care of the ARB for the length of stay, be it overnight or 5 months. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    After years of various coolers that never seemed to work well I finally bought a Yeti.  With the Yeti Ice cooler blocks frozen food stays frozen for bout three days unless you keep opening the lid a lot.  Cold food and drinks last even longer.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Yes, we got a Yeti also, it fits in the rear of the truck under the bed cover.  Keeps contents nice and cold.  Start out with frozen Yeti blocks, and add ice if needed.
    I like the compact size and it is perfect for three to four day trips.  Longer trips, just add more ice.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Thumbs up for my Indelb!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    We use an old igloo cooler.  Food goes in the fridge and most drinks go in the cooler, kept in the truck.  Cheap and works just fine.  I had a Dometic 12v fridge but after about 3 years it completely crapped out on me in the middle of a trip.  I've used the igloo ever since and it has not stopped working yet!  Coolers are less expensive and will not let you down.  However I have to say the 12v fridge is nice for extended trips.  For trips under one week the cooler is fine but we may start taking more longer trips so I may get another 12v fridge to avoid having to replenish the ice.  I've been looking at the Iceco brand.  I can't see spending what I spent on the Dometic years ago after it let me down on a trip and left me scrambling to find a cooler.  There are a ton of options out there for coolers or fridges.  If your just doing short trips I'd just get a cooler.  Extended trips you may want to look at a fridge and a power system for it.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • RCBRCB Member Posts: 190
    We bought a Yeti knock off from Wally mart labelled Ozark Trail. It was about 1/4 the cost. I freeze a block of ice in a plastic container that fits the dimensions which lasts at times 41/2 days. Keep your cooler as full as possible. As well we precool drinks in the fridge overnight.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I bought this 40qt cooler from Costco a year ago and I’m very happy with it. They also offer a bigger size but a full 40qt is about the limit of what I can pick up by myself. 
    https://www.costco.com/massimo-cx40-12v-portable-e-kooler.product.100566493.html
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • kmulhkmulh Member Posts: 36
    We use an RTIC (Yeti knockoff but cheaper) and line the bottom with those frozen packs that come from Green Chef and then put ice on top if needed.  I usually will pre-cool it for a day and have had it last 7 days before the ice all melted, but it was not super hot out.
    2021 T@B 400 BD
    2020 F150 3.5 ecoboost
    Columbus, OH
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    We recently purchased a Dometic 12V cooler for times when we plan to stay in one location for a period of time. I am working out details for installing solar on the shell of our Colorado and a battery in the bed to keep it powered when boondocking.

Previously we have been using a Yeti 45QT cooler. During a month long road trip (when we were travelling back in 2019) the Yeti worked fine. It seemed the ice would always outlast the need for gas in the TV or the black tank capacity in our 320. In short, ice has never been our limiting factor.

Instead of using block containers of ice (as other mentioned), we placed items to stay dry in a plastic cereal container bin. The bin fits perfectly in the Yeti height wise. We also place a few items in the provided top black tray of the Yeti .The 8-10LB bag of ice commonly available and a few can/bottle items filled the rest of the cooler.

Somehow, at the end of a hot day, the drinks just seem colder when they have been sloshing around a bit in a mixture of ice and water... 

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    I am looking at portable fridges and am trying to decide if we need a dual zone and which size. We have the small DC fridge. My question is do you need more fridge space or freezer space? Can you use a single compartment for both?
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

That is going to depend on how long your camping trip is going to be, and what kinds of food stuff you need to keep cold/frozen.  Having a unit with both options is nice.
    cheers
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @JeffroNC, our Dometic is a dual zone (CFX 75) either compartment can be a fridge or freezer, depending on how you set the temps. 

Here is a link to what we have: Dometic CFX3 75 Dual Zone Powered Cooler | REI Co-op

We waited until REI had a 20% off sale coupon to purchase (they offer them several times a year).

Hope I answered your question. Let me know if you have any more.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @Denny16 Good questions. We go for long trips of several months. We eat a lot of produce, don't refrigerate our drinks or use ice. I'm leaning toward dual zone if needed.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

If you do not need the freezer, than just get a straight cooler version, cost is much less.  As I previously mentioned, we use a simple Yeti ice chest, use their cold packs, and produce will keep quite nicely.  We also freeze some leftovers at home, and use them, as ice in the Yeti (which we pre-chill with ice), then eat them as they thaw out.  B)
    cheers
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    We use Coleman Extreme ice chests.

We just camped at Fort Wilderness from 2/4 and came home 2/8.

I had made an iceblock in a knock off tupperware container that went in the bottom.  Had some frozen foods, baggied up clean ice in 2 one gallon bags for drinks.  Then added about 15 pounds of bought ice from a machine around the various food and drinks.

Bagged drink ice lasted until 2/7.  Still had some crushed bought ice on 2/8.

Got home, emptied the ice chest, and there was still part of the block ice I made.

They aren't the cheapest ice chests, but by far a lot cheaper than a Yeti or their look alike knock offs.  And they hold a lot more because the walls aren't as thick.

If you want to extend the ice, make a cover for them using reflectix material.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 908
    edited February 2021
    We found an Alpicool 50 liter compressor cooler that fit our needs nicely for under $300 a few years ago.  There seems to be even more model choices now. It has been much nicer than the various passive coolers we used for years.  We cook with fresh produce much like home and the reliable refridge space in all conditions was a huge improvement.  Very low power consumption compared to the 12v Norcold.   It has also come in very handy this past year providing increased cold storage at home allowing for fewer shopping trips.  

• SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    Dometic CFX55. It’s not dual zone but you can make it a freezer if you set the temp low enough. It has a small area that isn’t quite as cold that is great for produce, butter or eggs. Comes with standard plug and 12 volt. I keep it plugged in at home for drinks or overflow. The size is manageable for me and fits easily in the back of my car, slid into my 320 for travel, or sitting on the bench under the AC (cushion removed). I don’t have a lot of confidence in the 3-way fridge when not on shore power, so all the important spoilables go in the Dometic.
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • DeodonusDeodonus Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021
    In my trailer, I use BLACK + DECKER, a compact refrigerator that fits perfectly into my interior.

• linolino Member Posts: 224
    I have the Cabellas version of the yeti and am very happy with it
  • rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    We use an ICECO 20 (the JP40 was just too big getting out of back of truck) in conjunction with the Norcold 3way in our 2018 320S. We plug it into 12v in console going down road. I have a Bluetooth power bank I plug it into if we stop for extended period before getting to composite. It works with my portable 120Wsolar panel if boondocking.  I can either run 12v cord in front window and plug into 12v or run extension cord to shore power power pole. I may install a protected external 12v to my tub for it. We precool 3 way the day before and run it on 12v going down road (have 100ah lithium battery). I use the ICECO for anything frozen. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    We don’t need extra refrig space.  But for other “projects” I’ve looked into portables.  I had decided on ARB.  It appears to be the standard.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.