Options

How to connect add-on solar

New owner, have read many posts here about adding extra solar panels and will probably do the same to my new TAB320. BN What is not clear to me, with something like a suitcase package, is how you actually make the connection, and how it interacts with factory solar. Do you just connect directly to the battery? Is a controller needed? Do you need to modify something with the built in solar charging system? I've read a lot here but have not seen a direct answer yet to these questions. Thanks for any help!
2021 TAB 320S  Boondock

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    edited January 2021
    Most suitcase panels include the controller, so you only need to connect it directly to your battery.  Most folks install an SAE or Zamp port near the battery and connect directly to the battery.  Then just plug the suitcase panel into the port.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    jimrjjimrj Member Posts: 57
    Our 2021 320S has solar and came with an SAE connector in the front tub. You could double check with dealer to make sure you get the connector. 
    Jim and Robin / 2021 320S / 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk / Oregon
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    @jcrystal - if you plan to have the stock factory solar, then the stock controller is limited in terms of capacity of additional panels that it can handle.  Rather than the expense of replacing the perfectly good factory BMV controller and required rewiring, most owners opt to use the suitcase with the built in controller OR purchase a stand-alone controller for the suitcase.  Either way, the suitcase/controller combo either plugs into the provided solar port or the separate controller gets wired directly to the battery.  Both the factory solar and suitcase would work independently of the other to charge your battery.  

We have two 100 watt suitcases that we have wired in parallel to a cheap PWM controller.  To make the plug in easier, we made permanent pigtails off the battery and charge controller.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Easiest to have a separate controller for your portable panels. My suitcase came with both a cheap controller (you can pretty much always do better than what’s included with these, get a good MPPT controller instead) and a set of alligator clips. For the first use, I swapped out the controller for a better one, but used the clips. Last summer, I opted to add an SAE pigtail to my battery, since some model years like mine didn’t include a solar input port, and removed the clips. Next up will be actually adding in an SAE port.

I am NOT skilled with electrical mods, and this was all easy enough for me to DIY. The only reason I haven’t tackled the port yet is I need a larger bit for drilling the tub. This sort of upgrade is very doable for pretty much anyone. Having the SAE pigtail has been helpful even at home, I’ve used it to charge the battery with my NOCO charger so I don’t have to drag out and hook up the 30 amp cable just to top off the charge, and another owner uses his port with a multimeter to confirm the battery’s state of charge without having to open the tub or battery box.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 32
    thanks for these tips; Given what Jimrj said, I will wait for delivery to see what connectors are there
    2021 TAB 320S  Boondock
  • Options
    dbrislawndbrislawn Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2021 T@B 320S Boondock coming.  My 2020 was victim of a tree falling on it!  I am a trailer newbie, want to upgrade some capabilities and need your guidance.

I am a Boondocker and a volunteer SAR technician in Western Washington, so am often out in bad weather conditions.  I want offgrid power capacity with quick setup and takedown.  I have an EGOPOWER battery "generator" and a Yamaha 2200is but they are not always onboard and so solar is critical.

I am installing two BB lithium 100ah batteries.  Do I understand that to increase runtime, since both are 12v so there is no benefit to series, that they should be set up in parallel?

Stock solar controller is MPPT 75/10 which I understand is sufficient for the 105w Sunflare solar panel.  But I also have a 100w Renogy suitcase panel sans controller.  I want the two panels to use one built-in solar controller.  So if I understand, the built-in and suitcase panels nominally require a 14A controller or better a 20 or 30A one.

UPGRADES & MODS
    Add second BB 100Ah lithium battery.
    Add Victron BMV-712 Smart Monitor for the new dual battery setup.  Batteries self-balance so do not need a balancer.

Upgrade stock Victron MPPT 75/10 solar controller to the 100/20 or 30 to control my two 100w panels?
    Add external port for Renogy panel to plug-in

Add Progressive Industries EMS HMW30C (protect v. lightning strikes, poor/erratic power, etc.)

What am I missing here?
    Dennis Brislawn
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Heavily modified)
    RESQCAT
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, the 12VDC batteries should be connected in parallel configuration, to increase Al Holston, not voltage, as they are already 12VDC.  To use one solar controller for both the portable solar panel and the factory one will require a Victron 100/30 Blue solar controller.  It would be more economical to just add a second Victron Blue 75/15 (about 1/2 the cost), since you will already have a 75/10:in your TaB for the factory solar.  Thr MPPT75/15 is good for 200 watts (2 ea 100 watt panels) and can be networked via Bluetooth to the 75/10, so they both work together to charge your battery bank.  No need to upgrade, just add a second controller.  If your portable panel is only 100 watts, then a second 75/10 will work.

Your 2021 TaB BD will come with the SAE (Zamp) connector on the front tongue box.  Just add the second MPPT controller between this plug and the batteries, and plug the panel into the SAE connector, then Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @dbrislawn - if you are off grid a lot, why install a hardwired EMS?  Unless where you plug in is an area prone to theft, why not just buy a portable EMS and save the cost of installing the hardwired model?

The other advantage of 2 solar controllers:  if one goes south, you can still charge with your second controller/panel.  

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited April 2021
    Your dual BattleBorn 100 Ah LiFePO batteries, along with the added solar panels, are a great setup and once you either upgrade the stock Victron 75/10 controller or add a second, should give you a lot of boondocking capability. As you've learned, if you go with a second controller you can simply plug it into the SAE port on your BD. While I think I'd prefer a single 30 amp BT enabled controller, that's a more expensive option that adding a second 10 amp unit. And as @Sharon_is_SAM points out, there is an advantage to having two controllers.
    I too just took delivery of a 2021 320S BD and am in the process of adding more solar charging, in my case via a Renogy 100w suitcase system that has its own waterproof controller. I went with the hardwired Progressive Industries EMS which offers a couple of advantages over its portable brother: It's less expensive (assuming you install it yourself) and you don't have to worry about losing it either to theft or forgetfulness.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    We got the portable EMS before I knew about the hardwired option.  We lock,yiur unit with a cable lock to the utility power stand, and ours has not developed legs and walked away yet...  B) 
    cheers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I am mulling all this great advice over... Budget is less of a concern in this than ease of use.  So I expect I will hardwire the EMS and upgrade to a 100/30 MPPT.  I will add a portable controller to give my suitcase panel standalone capability.  One question - if I upgrade to the 100/30 MPPT, will it control the installed solar as well as a panel plugged into the SAE port in the tub?

I assume that I would need two controllers if I stick with stock 75/10 and network with the external one, right?

Dennis B.
    Dennis Brislawn
    RESQCAT
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 143
    Dennis - my understanding is that you will need  2 controllers unless you buy a controller that can handle two inputs - probably not worth the cost.  As to the size of controller required, Victron has a calculator that is easy to use once you have the voltage and amp stats for a given solar panel.  It can be found here: https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

2019 T@B 400; 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum

• Options
    @dbrislawn - to only have 1 controller (installed solar and portable suitcase) you need to have the upgraded installed controller with pigtails to a solar port that you can plug in a set of panels.  It can be done, but a more practical approach (and cheaper) is to stick with the current installed Victron 75/10 for the installed panel and to purchase a separate Victron controller for your portable suitcase.  Then you can network the 2 controllers on your phone using VictronConnect.  You would need to have your new controller mounted (probably in the front tub) and connected to the battery, then have the solar port wiring connected to the panel instead of the battery.  Then you can just plug in your panels to the solar port.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    This setup Sharon mentioned is for a portable panel that does not have a built in controller.
    If the portable suitcase panels have their own controller, you do not need an additional controller or larger controller.
    cheers
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Just to clarify - if you want to network both controllers, get a suitcase without the controller.  If you get a suitcase with a built in non-Victron controller, you can’t network.
  • Options
    Thanks.
    Dennis Brislawn
    RESQCAT
  • Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    @dbrislawn - to only have 1 controller (installed solar and portable suitcase) you need to have the upgraded installed controller with pigtails to a solar port that you can plug in a set of panels.  It can be done, but a more practical approach (and cheaper) is to stick with the current installed Victron 75/10 for the installed panel and to purchase a separate Victron controller for your portable suitcase.  Then you can network the 2 controllers on your phone using VictronConnect.  You would need to have your new controller mounted (probably in the front tub) and connected to the battery, then have the solar port wiring connected to the panel instead of the battery.  Then you can just plug in your panels to the solar port.
    Hi, sorry for my lack of comprehending solar/electrical or anything involved, I find it rather confusing.  I have a 2021 320 Boondock. So basically I can buy a solar suitcase with a controller and plug it into the solar port on the side of the storage box and then both solar panels with charge the battery correct? Nothing else I have to worry about like does it matter if it is 200w 12volt, does this type of setup charge the battery faster?

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I have the factory rooftop solar plus a portable panel with a second Victron controller, as @Sharon_is_SAMdescribed. The networking works quite well.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @Rodent77 - if you have factory installed solar with it’s own controller plus you add a solar suitcase with it’s own controller, both sources will charge the battery at the same time, independent of each other.  If you want the ability to view both sources of solar via your phone, the suitcase would need a Victron controller.  
    The additional solar will charge your battery faster, but keep in mind, the stock battery is typically only 80 aAhs, so, the battery will not last much beyond a day if there is no sun - no matter the extra solar.  
  • Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    Thanks @jkjenn and @Sharon_is_SAM at least it will improve the charge. I'll sit down and try and figure it out one day.

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson