First days with new trailer - to-do list..

TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
So with our new T@b 400 arrival just (hopefully) a couple months away, we're already eagerly planning for all those must-do tasks - what's everyone else doing?  I know some of the below is optional, but are we missing anything that isn't?

At dealer,
1) Record full walkthrough/inspection, get hooked up level to TV (adjustable draw bar)
2) Take for slow drive to adjust (Curt Echo) brake controller before heading home

At home,
1) Check dry tongue weight
2) Check wheel lugs for proper torque
3) Install mouseproofing
4) Install HW30C EMS
5) Install BMV-712 monitor, make sure battery charges on shore power & with solar
6) Install Mopeka propane monitor
7) Try fridge in all 3 modes (AC, DC, propane)
8) Try Alde in 1kW/2kW and propane modes (both on shore power and battery)
9) Install Valterra sewer hose tube
10) Install Proven lock + check hitch pin locks
11) Once weather heats up, try A/C, hot water (propane + shore power) faucets, cold water faucets (city + tank), check for leaks, try draining (clean) black and grey tanks (check for leaks), try black tank flush
12) Put together setup/teardown checklists
13) Driveway camp until we can get out on the road!

Anything critical I'm missing?  I've read about brake adjustments, but honestly, how many people actually do that?  Will likely take into dealer in a year for bearing service.

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Brakes get adjusted when you do wheel bearing service.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    A1: Read the manuals for your fridge, the Alde.  Practice with the Alde.  Read the Alde Manual.  Practice some more.

Get an autoranging multimeter. Learn how to use it.

A2.  Read the Manuals for the Alde and the fridge.  Practice.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Balance the tires.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    A1: Read the manuals for your fridge, the Alde.  Practice with the Alde.  Read the Alde Manual.  Practice some more.

Get an autoranging multimeter. Learn how to use it.

A2.  Read the Manuals for the Alde and the fridge.  Practice.
    I should really upgrade the multimeter - until a couple years ago I was using an analog dial one at home, and now have a non-autoranging digital one.  You'd think being in an industry where we routinely buy and use insanely expensive digital communication protocol analyzers would make me more picky about my home equipment, yet I stick with a $10 special.  Does the trick though! :)

Thanks for the words about the Alde - I've been reading some but likely need to do more..
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Balance the tires.
    Do they not balance them prior to installation? 
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited January 2021
    I would check the fridge and Alde in all 3 modes at the dealer, to make sure it all works before you leave the dealer with the trailer.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    TomCanada said:
    Balance the tires.
    Do they not balance them prior to installation? 
    Some are, most are not. Due to the way trailer tires are loaded this is typically not a concern. Most tires will wear out from dry rot or normal road wear rather than an out of balance induced wear. Handling issues related are negligible due to the vertical loading. Most mfgr's simply do a high low spot balance (wheel/tire) if they do anything.

WRT your dealer list....unless you are accepting a winterized unit, you might want them to demonstrate parts or all of 7, 8 and 11. You don't want to haul away without knowing these things work and they should want to show you how to use them.

WRT brakes, you should probably not wait a year to check them. After a few tows you should jack up the wheels and give them a spin to see if they are scraping too much or spinning too freely. This is especially true if you have had to use them hard and not been pleased with the results. Brakes wear in as they are used. After the first adjustment has been done then yes, do the brakes when you re-pack the bearings annually, but in the first year of use, do check them. An adjustment literally takes only a few minutes to do.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I should really upgrade the multimeter - until a couple years ago I was using an analog dial one at home, and now have a non-autoranging digital one.  You'd think being in an industry where we routinely buy and use insanely expensive digital communication protocol analyzers would make me more picky about my home equipment, yet I stick with a $10 special.  Does the trick though!

LOl....I have a 12 dollar special.  If you already know how to handle one, that is great.  It is one of the "new tools" I've learned about since buying my trailer. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,413
    edited January 2021
    Looks pretty comprehensive to me. With the exception of checking the fridge and Alde for proper function, I confess I did none of the above. RWDWHAHB and camp on!  ;-)

Seriously, I might add to double-triple-quadruple check that you are properly hitched up before leaving the lot, and make sure your battery is connected and providing power. If your battery is off (or otherwise disconnected) you will not have power to the breakaway breaks in the event of a trailer separation.

Fortunately, only a few things are matters of real concern, but getting your trailer where it is going safely and securely is at the top of the list! 
    2015 T@B S

NuCamp does not balance the tires.  Here is a recent article about the value of balancing:  https://www.rvtravel.com/balance-your-rv-tires/
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Also, from what I have read, the TaB tires have balancing beads in them, which keep the tires balanced dynamically, as they turn.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Balancing beads potentially (if you believe the pitch) address one of the less considered issues with RV hubs/drums...they are not precisely balanced. Hubs/rotors/drums on motor vehicles are machined to tighter tolerances with balance as a consideration. Mounting a balanced wheel mounted on an unbalanced (RV) hub/drum does not "cure" the affect of the balance problem and may actually make it worse depending on the how the tire ends up getting mounted.
    Beads will find their way to the spot where their weight is needed and remain in place when the wheel is in motion. When motion stops they drop back to the bottom. As an aside, anyone who is considering getting trailer tires balanced needs to make sure to take them to a shop that has a machine that will fit the rims. Many shops do not.
    Don't forget to ask for nitrogen. ;)
  • ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    One of the mistakes we made was not reading the entire manual on the Curt Echo brake controller before leaving the dealership. It worked fine until we were climbing a steep grade on an icy mountain road and I turned on the truck's hazard lights. We quickly noticed on the iPhone app that the brakes were being activated. I had no where to pull over initially but my wife fairly quickly read the part in the manual about the switch on the app that needed to be ON whenever the hazard lights are turned ON. 
    Reading the instructions is always a good idea.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    I used Dyna beads in my Airstream for years they worked great.
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    Change a tire,  know where the jacking points are.
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • GeorgiaMBGeorgiaMB Member Posts: 33
    @cyoung. Do you know where the jacking points are on the 2021 320 Boondock?  We have been trying to figure that out.
    2021 T@B Boondock 320S | 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 
  • GeorgiaMBGeorgiaMB Member Posts: 33
    @Sharon_is_SAM. Thank you!!!!!
    2021 T@B Boondock 320S | 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6