Bucket water INTO a 2021 T@B 320?

While I admire the Nautilus system, I figured out there is no side "cup shaped" water fill.  Can you bucket water into the T@B? Or does it need a hose? Or a special fitting?
To my knowledge that hasn't been covered on YouTube yet. <grin>
Thanks.
...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2021
    From what I understand Nd have read, The water pump can be used to add water from a bucket or a jerry can, and pumped into the water tank.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I didn't realize the 2021s lacked a way to simply pour water into the FW tank. Powering the pump to move that many gallons seems like a lot of unnecessary energy use for us miserly types. Any alternatives?
    2015 T@B S
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    There is no fresh water gravity fill, but it fills pretty quickly via the pump. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    It has a siphon mode which works way better than trying to pour a bucket of water into a gravity feed. Just get a short piece of hose that you can thread onto the Nautilus then change it to siphon mode. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    So  am I interpreting correctly that "siphon mode" does not require the pump or any power? Do you have to place your jug up high and and actually start a siphon, or can you just pour through the length of hose (assuming it is also connected to the jug).  
    2015 T@B S
    ScottG said:
    So  am I interpreting correctly that "siphon mode" does not require the pump or any power? Do you have to place your jug up high and and actually start a siphon, or can you just pour through the length of hose (assuming it is also connected to the jug).  
    The pump draws 2.20ah...so for less than 5 minutes, this is a very miniscule draw.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 32
    ScottG said:
    It does require the pump but the jug can be on the ground
    2021 TAB 320S  Boondock
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    Thanks to all for clearing that up for me. Much appreciated.
    ...Doug

edited February 2021
    So back to my question... 

Is there any way to fill the FW tank without running the pump (regardless of the reason why someone would want to do so)?

Just curious more than anything. I have no desire to trade my 2015.  :-)  
    2015 T@B S
    edited February 2021
    ScottG said:
    So back to my question... 

Is there any way to fill the FW tank without running the pump (regardless of the reason why someone would want to do so)?

Just curious more than anything. I have no desire to trade my 2015.  :-)  
    From a jug, no. From city water, yes.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    You can fill the fresh water tank from a jug/bucket.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2021
    But not without using the pump.

#1 appears to cover what jkjenn described above--you don't need the pump if you have a pressurized water supply.

This isn't just an academic question. When dry-camping, I top up my FW tank by pouring water from a 6 gallon jug into the FW fill port. While this requires a bit of huffing and puffing, it does not require a pressurized water supply or the use of any battery. I'm conservative with my power and I like having simple options with few potential points of failure. I suspect I am not alone in this regard.

I wonder if a jug with a spigot and hose connector set just above the level of the Nautilus could "power fill" the FW tank just by force of gravity. It seems this would work, provided there are no valves in the fill circuit that require a certain minimum pressure to open.

@DougWW, I think you may have to be the one to test this out!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
    edited February 2021
    But if you use for pump for 15 min, which you wouldn't, you are looking at .55ah use. That is pretty insignificant.

Ok. Uncle! Maybe it is an academic question, but one I am still interested in regardless.  :-)

I've been perusing the Nautilus P2.5 operating and installation manuals. While it appears my "gravity fill" suggestion would technically work, I suspect it would be veeerrry slow as the FW tank fill line (which is also the FW tank supply line) appears to be only 1/2" PEX.

The Nautilus is a clever unit but what a bowl of spaghetti out back. I remember how the original Alde analog control panel gave people fits. As these newer T@Bs hit the road I'll bet more than a nickel that operating that beast will become the number one source of questions here on the forum.  ;-)    
    2015 T@B S
    edited February 2021
    The Nautilus system has been out since models produced in 2020 (2021 model,year).  At first there were many discussions around how to use it.  But for the last year, this has slacked off to the odd, occasional question like this one.  

I also believe, thst if the supply jug is higher than the Nautilus connection point, you can start the pump to get the water going shut the pump off, and it will continue to siphon the water in. 
    Cheers
    edited February 2021
    Denny16 said:
    The Nautilus system has been out since model year 2020, produced back in 2019.  At first there were many discussions around how to use it.  But for the last year, this has slacked off to the odd, occasional question like this one.  

I also believe, thst if the supply jug is higher than the Nautilus connection point, you can start the pump to get the water going shut the pump off, and it will continue to siphon the water in. 
    Cheers
    2021 was the first model year for the Nautilus in the 320 and it is a different model than the one used in the 400.

• DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    ScottG said:
    But not without using the pump.

#1 appears to cover what jkjenn described above--you don't need the pump if you have a pressurized water supply.

This isn't just an academic question. When dry-camping, I top up my FW tank by pouring water from a 6 gallon jug into the FW fill port. While this requires a bit of huffing and puffing, it does not require a pressurized water supply or the use of any battery. I'm conservative with my power and I like having simple options with few potential points of failure. I suspect I am not alone in this regard.

I wonder if a jug with a spigot and hose connector set just above the level of the Nautilus could "power fill" the FW tank just by force of gravity. It seems this would work, provided there are no valves in the fill circuit that require a certain minimum pressure to open.

@DougWW, I think you may have to be the one to test this out!  ;-)
    @ScottG, I will happily test this for everyone, given I get my hands on the hardware, and that winter ends. Its -20 something right now. <grin>

...Doug

Thanks Jenn, my bad, I corrected my post.
    cheers
    Can anyone confirm which Nautilus models are being installed in which T@Bs? @Sharon_is_SAM referenced the P2.5 above, but I just saw a photo in another discussion that appears to show a P3.
    2015 T@B S
    The P2.5 for the 320 and the P3 for the 400.
    I do love plumbing. It took my quite a lot of cogitation to figure out how the P2.5 works behind the scenes. The P3 is even more fascinating!

2015 T@B S
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2021
    Ok. That's awful.

I hope that none of those back black connectors need tightening at some point 'down the road'!

I'm sure they just designed it this way to keep us weekend plumbers from thinking we might be able to self-service the things.

"Uh, yeah, I got it all put back together again and, for some reason, when I flush the toilet the shower turns on!"

Jeesh!
    ScottG said:
    I do love plumbing. It took my quite a lot of cogitation to figure out how the P2.5 works behind the scenes. The P3 is even more fascinating!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    They are pretty fascinating--really just an interconnected set of diverter valves that allow you to shift the water flow six ways from Sunday, depending on what you are trying to do. The black pipes are integral to the unit, and the various PEX lines are attached during installation.

I do agree that snugging up the various connectors may be part of regular maintenance. I hope nuCamp is putting these things in places where normal-sized humans can actually reach them.
    2015 T@B S
    The 320 Nautilus backside is viewable under the driver side bench.  Not sure about the 400.
    Yes, on the 320, very accessible. It is in the same area where the Alde is. The accessibility is better for owners and those who do repairs.

edited February 2021
    On the TaB 400, access to the back of the Nautilus is in the Alde compartment, under the rear bunk on the driver’s side.
    Nautilus panel circled in red above.  This is a tight space in front of the Alde unit.
    cheers
    At least they are accessible. I've been thinking about the city water fill ports on older 320s that tend to unscrew themselves and drip. Getting one's arm down in the space behind the toilet to snug up that fitting can be a bit of a challenge.
    2015 T@B S
    Hey, I think I found a pic of the Nautilus prototype!

2015 T@B S