Question for T@B owners: Are you a sailor? Landlubber? Cast your vote!

MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
edited February 2021 in Introductions
Theory: people who've spent a lot of time on boats/ships are less likely to be discouraged by the T@B's cozy interior than other RV buyers, and as a result a bigger share of T@B owners are sailors compared to other types of RVs.
True or false?
San Francisco Bay Area
2013 CS-S us@gi
Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab

Question for T@B owners: Are you a sailor? Landlubber? Cast your vote! 44 votes

Yes, I've owned (or now own) a sailboat or powerboat with a cabin.
36% 16 votes
Yes, I served in the Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, merchant marines or have otherwise had a maritime job involving time at sea
18% 8 votes
Yes, I haven't owned a boat but I've spent a lot of time on OPB (other people's boats)
6% 3 votes
No, I'm a landlubber
29% 13 votes
Other
9% 4 votes

Comments

• CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited February 2021
    Have lived near saltwater most of my life. Being on the water is just part of the culture...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    edited February 2021
    "Other" While I've never lived aboard a boat, friends of mine have and I was a frequent visitor. I owned a 16' sea kayak and did many week-long ocean trips. Boat living extreme because of so little space. I often compare my T@B 320 S to a small boat. Especially now that I've added gear nets! Everything needs to have a place so that it can be found easily when not in use. 
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Can only select one button  :|
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • sotbdsotbd Member Posts: 7
    Was a submariner in the Navy for many years. 320 is like being home. Company is much better in the 320 then on a boat. 
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Poor poll, can only select one button when more than one apply.
    yes, career/retired Navy.
    yes, have owned/ lived aboard and sailed oceans on many of my sailboats.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited February 2021
    GatorEgg said:
    Poor poll, can only select one button when more than one apply.
    yes, career/retired Navy.
    yes, have owned/ lived aboard and sailed oceans on many of my sailboats.
    Sorry. No way to do a multiple answer poll without resorting to Google or Survey Monkey. Pick your answer based on nautical miles, I guess? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited February 2021
    Thanks for re-doing your poll. I did 4 years on aircraft carriers.  What the Tab really gives me deja-vu about, however, is my 1972 VW Camper. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    @pthomas745 - I'm also a former VW traveler:
    - 1982 tour, BC to California, in a 1969 VW bus
    - 2013 tour, Canadian Rockies, in a 198x Westy.
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • NorCalMikeNorCalMike Member Posts: 52
    Funny you bring this up since I was comparing the TAB 400 to interior space of the 40' sloop I crewed on during trips to Mexico and to Hawaii and multiple Oakland to Catalina races.   
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    sotbd said:
    Was a submariner in the Navy for many years. 320 is like being home. Company is much better in the 320 then on a boat. 

Was on a surface ship (LCC-20) while in the Navy, but my son was on the Scranton. I went on a four day tiger cruise on his boat. The accommodations on the submarine were a whole different world, but the crew camaraderie was a real plus.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I only talk like a sailor!  =)
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Yes, the biggest difference I swa between subs and surface sailors, on a sub, you sit down in the dining area, and a fellow crew member beings you a menu check off sheet, you fill out and give back, then they bring your meal, which you eat, and move on.  On a surface ship, you stand in line, go through a cafeteria type food service sliding your tray along, and the. Go find a seat to eat, and eat without being rushed.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • TRobTRob Member Posts: 54
    Sailed a Santana 22 on San Francisco Bay and around Santa Cruz. Cruised the Bahamas with my dad on a 46 Morgan sloop, 34 Marine Trader trawler, and a 48 Hatteras LRC many years ago. 

When I was really small my parents would put my brother and I in the back of a C3 Corvette. You had to lean a seat forward for us to get in there. I got some of the best sleep of my life in the back of that vette. Maybe that's why I like the tight sleeping quarters of the 400. I even choose the back side with the sloped ceiling! 
    Troy / 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon / 2021 Tab 400 BD / Sarasota, FL
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    At least with the T@B when you get tired of the cramped quarters you can step outside and go for stroll. It's little harder to do that on a submarine.  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Many, many hours on this gal. Spending days "on the hook" without touching land and living off fresh  Dungeness crab for dinner most every day...Ahhh!

The T@B does bring back a few of those feelings...only drier.  ;)

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Geez AirBoss, that is one sweet boat.  And you're based in San Diego.  I want to be you when I grow up.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    @Tabaz
    She was great. Owned her when I lived in Seattle until 2015. San Juan's and Canadian waters offered so many opportunities to explore.

No boat now...just the T@B. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

AirBoss said:
    @Tabaz
    She was great. Owned her when I lived in Seattle until 2015. San Juan's and Canadian waters offered so many opportunities to explore.

No boat now...just the T@B. 
    You are fortunate to have cruised those waters. I've only ridden on ferries around that area and it was stunning. An absolute cruisers paradise.
    Agreed @TRob. Cruising season was obviously a bit shorter up there but boy, when it was nice...it was incredible. Something special about being rocked to sleep by the sounds of the sea and waking up to the sound of the resident sea otter slapping the side of the boat, looking for breakfast and sharing our crab with him. Good times...
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Owned an Aviat A1-B taildragger for several years. Took it to Mexico, Alaska and points in between. Wonderful, exciting experiences that will never be forgotten.  Just got tired of sleeping in a tent. Packing the wet tent into the plane.  Unpacking the wet tent and drying it out at home.  Sounds petty and contrite, but I never want to sleep in a tent again.  Hence the T@B.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Other..although we live on a lake and own a smaller boat to trot around the lake..so getting a smaller trailer for us was about getting away from the lake.. it's different when you actually live there full time..time to see some other lakes!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    Our previous RV was a whole different kind of minimalist.  We're still delighted with all the dry, warm, spacious comfort and abundant conveniences of our little camper as we revisit many of our favorite places.

• B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    edited February 2021
    Tough to choose a category for me . Went with "had a maritime job involving time on the water
    As my user name suggests , my life is intertwined with boating . Have been in the "Biz" for over 35 years . My feet are literally on the deck of a boat almost every day of my life .

We chose a T@B 320s , not really due to the cramped quarters , which most boat cabins are known for (notice I said boat, not yacht , lol) ......  but because of the very high quality of NuCamp .
    Very much like a boat , if your in the business long enough , you can tell a high quality boat builder .......and the low .  Same with RV's . 
    The NuCamp basically just blew us away , after looking at MANY inferior RV manufacturers . We were willing to "sacrifice" a little personal space, to have the quality and "got your back" that NuCamp is known for . Plus we fell in love with our 320 . Its so easy to tow ANYWHERE , stress free. I need stress free "towing" when I am "off" , lol . 

One thing we didnt see coming was all the attention our 320 seems to attract where ever we go , lol . We are getting used to answering questions , and giving "tours" , lol . 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
    2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
    2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
    2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

edited February 2021
    TRob said:
    Sailed a Santana 22 on San Francisco Bay and around Santa Cruz. Cruised the Bahamas with my dad on a 46 Morgan sloop, 34 Marine Trader trawler, and a 48 Hatteras LRC many years ago. 

When I was really small my parents would put my brother and I in the back of a C3 Corvette. You had to lean a seat forward for us to get in there. I got some of the best sleep of my life in the back of that vette. Maybe that's why I like the tight sleeping quarters of the 400. I even choose the back side with the sloped ceiling! 
    I had a 21-foot TI Sloop on San Francisco Bay.  As the story goes, if you can sail on SF Bay successfully, you can sail anywhere.  I was also, a Navy Sailing Association rated skipper and sailing instructor on SF Bay.  For a short while, I skippered a 52-foot gaff rigged fishing boat (44-feet on deck and 14-feet wide), and was Third Mate on the SF Maritime Museum p’s sailing barge the Alma.  You could put a TaB 320 in its hold.
    cheers
    Denny16 said:
    TRob said:

I had a 21-foot TI Sloop on San Francisco Bay.  As the story goes, if you can sail on SF Bay successfully, you can sail anywhere.  I was also, a Navy Sailing Association rated skipper and sailing instructor on SF Bay.  For a short while, I skippered a 52-foot gaff rigged fishing boat (44-feet on deck and 14-feet wide).  You could put a TaB 320 in its hold.
    cheers
    I didn't always sail it successfully, but I did my best, had fun, and survived! LOL! Speaking of the Navy, I had it berthed on Treasure Island for a while. Great location to get pretty much anywhere on the bay. 
    Denny16 said:
    TRob said:

I had a 21-foot TI Sloop on San Francisco Bay.  As the story goes, if you can sail on SF Bay successfully, you can sail anywhere.  I was also, a Navy Sailing Association rated skipper and sailing instructor on SF Bay.  For a short while, I skippered a 52-foot gaff rigged fishing boat (44-feet on deck and 14-feet wide).  You could put a TaB 320 in its hold.
    cheers
    Dug up an old picture sailing under the Golden Gate. Seems like yesterday but it was just "a few" years ago!  =) And a picture of my wife and I trying to get two of our boys into sailing a little Opti we bought them. They had fun but it never stuck. Part of why we aren't sailing now - no crew!

• sotbdsotbd Member Posts: 7
    AnOldUR said:
    sotbd said:

Was on a surface ship (LCC-20) while in the Navy, but my son was on the Scranton. I went on a four day tiger cruise on his boat. The accommodations on the submarine were a whole different world, but the crew camaraderie was a real plus.
    Yeah having family come on a tiger cruise always made for an interesting underway. After the cruise they all realized why we were a little odd. 
    @TRob. I had my TI Sloop at TI also in the mid to late 1990s, after that I took it to Sausalito, quicker to get to from our house in SF.  After all, the TI Marina should have a Treasure Island Sloop, it was the first and only one home ported at TI as far as I was able to determine.  They were a popular single design back in the 60 and 70s, used for inter club racing on SF Bay.  They could take the chop and go right over the waves that get kicked up on the Bay.  I did race in a Plastic Classic once and came in third, with my corrected time, was fifth over the finish line in a group of a dozen mixed boats.  ‘Twas lots off fun!
    Cheers
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited February 2021
    TRob said:
    Dug up an old picture sailing under the Golden Gate. Seems like yesterday but it was just "a few" years ago!  =) And a picture of my wife and I trying to get two of our boys into sailing a little Opti we bought them. They had fun but it never stuck. Part of why we aren't sailing now - no crew!

Booze cruise with friends, fog rolling in through the Golden Gate behind us.

At the helm of the original Usagi (#18).

Nice helicopter shot of us on Suisun Bay (which will be familiar to the Mare Island vets).

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2021
    Owned 4 sailboats and 1 32’ mini house boat. If I could find a smaller trailer with all the same features ie. [head] bathroom. I would seriously consider it. Considering a small high top short wheel base transit van build. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun