Options

Better Toilet Lid/Seat for 2021 T@b 320 CS

Hi everyone.  This is my very first post.  My husband and I just brought home our 2021 T@b 320 CS.  We named it Podling.  Anyhow.  My husband is six feet tall and when he showers he wants to be able to sit on the toilet lid (because he can barely fit in there).  But the toilet lid is really flexing under his weight.  I can push on it with my hand and see it.  Any ideas for how we could improve just the seat/lid?  Seems like an easy fix but I don't know what would fit exactly.  Thanks so much.

Comments

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I've noted the flexing - I agree it does that at my 180# but as long as it doesn't fatigue and break I'm ok. My issue as a guy, do any others have a problem with the seat staying UP... I'd prefer not to have to hold it up. Any kind of clip I can think of would be uncomfortable if sitting. (Clean) wise cracks acceptable if a suitable working suggestion is offered.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited July 2020
    MarkAl said:
    I've noted the flexing - I agree it does that at my 180# but as long as it doesn't fatigue and break I'm ok. My issue as a guy, do any others have a problem with the seat staying UP... I'd prefer not to have to hold it up. Any kind of clip I can think of would be uncomfortable if sitting. (Clean) wise cracks acceptable if a suitable working suggestion is offered.
    Mine stays up if I am level from front to back.

*the lid, not the seat, lol

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    I have all same issues, seat when showering seems like its going to break
    Lid doesn't stay up, need to use my hand
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    It’s a valid concern, I think. I’ve seen at least two vanlife videos in the last couple of months with the same Thetford cassette toilet that had cracked lids. At a minimum, I think you might want to contact Thetford (or your dealer) regarding replacement parts for when that happens.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    AliaseAliase Member Posts: 17
    Maybe we could 3d print something lol.  Hmm... 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Look in the hunting section of Walmart for a sitting pad for hunters to sit on the ground for long periods of time. They’re like the kneeling pads for gardening, but twice as large, waterproof. They are rather inexpensive and durable. Mine are 18”x14”. 

Lay one or two of the pads across the toilet seat to create a soft spot, but also protection from flexing the the toilet lid. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Hmmm. Looking at this image from the nuCamp website:

I doubt that seat/lid combo is easily upgradeable, certainly not with an off the shelf toilet seat from a box store.

If it were me, I’d probably try to build a small, sturdy, low bench that fit just high enough to clear the toilet lid, with support legs. On the left, any leg would have to squeeze in between the flush lever and outer Tab wall. It’d have to be made water resistant in some fashion and pretty well built to support say, 200 lbs, but I think it could be done.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Someone recently posted a picture of a baby cabinet lock to hold up the toilet seat.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    I've been experimenting with flat cabinet magnets, but I'm not having much luck. I'm going to try some velcro. I thought if the 320S was level the lid would say up, but not in our T@B. If the lid stays up, I'm not level. 
  • Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    This is hilarious because I was just having the same conversation!   I too am over 6’ so sitting for a shower is the only way.  But I am very concerned about the lid.   The image in the above post is not the toilet I have in my 2021 320 .. we have a Thetford .. it is a smaller profile and swivels of all things.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited February 2021
    Both types are made by Thetford, from what I understand.   I like the looks of the swiveling model, looks more comfy to me.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    scottincarmelscottincarmel Member Posts: 29
    Seems like there's an opportunity for some enterprising small molding company to make a better, stronger seat for these Thetford toilets. In the meantime, the best advice I've heard is to just raise the lid and sit on the toilet seat.
    2021 T@B 320S-BD
    2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    Carmel, IN
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I have solved my falling toilet lid problem for now. We'll see how it holds up. I stuck a very small, light-duty velcro circle (see pic) on the lid and placed it's plastic-loop counterpart where they meet on the back of the toilet (water closet. See pic). It is working! I guess I could spray paint them white before attaching them.

• Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    Am I the only person that showers with the seat up? 🤔 I guess I got enough junk in the trunk to block too much water from filling the bowl! 😆
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You can get Velcro in white also...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks, Denny. I'm going to look for them in white, but I'm pleased with these. A lot of it has to do with strength. If they are too strong, it feels like you are ripping down the seat each time. These are very light-duty so they barely grab-just enough to hold the seat up and it easily pulls away when lowering the lid. We'll see how it holds up over time and moisture.
  • Options
    andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    The old falling toilet seat problem. We use an RV door baggage door catch to keep the toilet seat up. We opted for the black version--easier to see it at night against the white of the bathroom. It was under $10. Used a heavy duty, waterproof Command strip to attach it. It works great.

2021 320 S Boondock
    Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    That's an excellent idea!