Options

Looking to Buy but there are Obstacles in my way!

danny_teardropdanny_teardrop Member Posts: 6
Hi All!

Total RV newbie here, I've been lurking for the past few months and wanted to introduce myself.

In the great year of the 2020 pandemic, I researched the RV categories from Class A, B and C, truck campers and of course teardrops. I like what nuCamp has to offer. Now my predicament is that I live in the Los Angeles area but the the closest nuCamp dealer is in San Diego. What's with that? Don't we have tons of TAB owners in the Greater Los Angeles area??

Will the RV industry have a RV show in "EL Lay" this year or do I have to play stalkerazzi in the local BLM forest area?? I've already spent hours on TabForum and YT videos by Travels with Delaney, Jenn Grover, Mandy Lea, the Air Force Guy, PJ at Princess and myriad other YouTubers offering their real life experiences.

I'm resigned to buying from a long distance dealer but first, I want my BW to sit in a TAB 400/320 for a couple of hours to see if the size is right for her (as well for me, I'm the taller one).

Thanks for letting me vent. haha :-)

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Hi All!

Total RV newbie here, I've been lurking for the past few months and wanted to introduce myself.

In the great year of the 2020 pandemic, I researched the RV categories from Class A, B and C, truck campers and of course teardrops. I like what nuCamp has to offer. Now my predicament is that I live in the Los Angeles area but the the closest nuCamp dealer is in San Diego (with poor Yelp reviews). What's with that? Don't we have tons of TAB owners in the Greater Los Angeles area??

Will the RV industry have a RV show in "EL Lay" this year or do I have to play stalkerazzi in the local BLM forest area?? I've already spent hours on TabForum and YT videos by Travels with Delaney, Jenn Grover, Mandy Lea, the Air Force Guy, PJ at Princess and myriad other YouTubers offering their real life experiences.

I'm resigned to buying from a long distance dealer but first, I want my BW to sit in a TAB 400/320 for a couple of hours to see if the size is right for her (as well for me, I'm the taller one).

Thanks for letting me vent. haha :-)

I posted on here and a couple of T@B FB groups to see if there was anyone in the Tampa area that was willing to let us come and see a T@B in the wild.  There were none at any dealers in FL at the time.  A wonderful couple invited us to visit and check out their 320 and as luck would have it, it was on the way to Orlando where we were picking our daughter up at the airport.

Checking out the features and size sold us on a 320.

I would suggest you do the same so you can see a real one.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Tom's Camperland in Tempe, AZ is one of largest T@B dealers out there (if not the largest).  Short plane ride away from LA. Check out their website for current inventory selection.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2021
    @danny_teardrop I have not heard any negative comments about Little Guy Trailers in San Diego, they were pioneers in the small trailer market, coming out with their own Teardrop style a while back.  They have been through some growing pains and management changes, but I would give them a try, closer than driving to Phoenix or Salinas.  

Our TaB 400 was originally sold by them, before it came north for Burning Man and then put on the used market, when we got it.  AirBoss is in San Diego area and you can contact him to get a feel for how responsive Little Guy Trailers is.

Also the look to see if you can rent a TaB from someone in the LA area, to give it a go for a weekend before you buy.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Tampakayaker: I do plan to query here and FB groups for any local owners and hopefully arrange a "looksie".
    Tabaz: thanks for suggesting Tom's Camperland.
    Denny16: I will strike my Yelp remark cuz I went back to Yelp and its not as bad as I remembered. I may have been confused with another dealer. Also, I don't have a TV yet so renting one is not a option at this time. My existing truck is too old and has a rear main seal leak so I don't want to chance it on the hwys and off road.
    Thanks for all who replied. I was surprised by the immediacy of replies. Confirms that this is a great and supportive group!
  • Options
    Another option is to take the train to SanDiego and rent a car, then drive to LittleGuy, you can make prior arrangements with them, they even may have a demo trailer they can park at a local area campsite for the weekend.  They did a video of on of their TaBs Parker at a SanDiego coastal campsite.  Give them a call and see what can be arranged.

Also, some RV trailer rentals will set up the trailer at a campground, so you do not have to worry about towing it anywhere.
    cheers
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 277
    You might want to rent one first and try it out. My wife and I rented a 2021 Tab 400 Boondock from a couple in Phoenix last Nov. Our experience convinced us to buy one! We should get it in a month or two. As I remember, somebody in California also has one to rent. Check out rvshare.com.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    There use to be a dealer in Azuza California. Five years ago when we bought 320 from Little Guy in San Diego.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited February 2021
     @danny_teardrop
    Greetings. Yes, I purchased my rig from Little Guys in Kearny Mesa in Dec 2019. They were in the midst of remodling their relatively small facility but nonetheless were helpful and knowledgeable. I worked with Paul and Erik and found them both to be fair folks. They can do some modest repairs on site but otherwise they're hiring folks to do repairs or referring you to other shops.  I had two issues with the rig...one known (surfaces scrapes at rear passenger side of rig) and one unknown until it's maiden voyage (Black Tank Flush lines were reversed). They resolved both in a timely and professional manner. 

Little Guy Trailers
    8148 Ronson Rd.
    San Diego, CA 92111
    LittleGuyTrailers@sbcglobal.net
    https://littleguytrailers.com/

Ask for Erik or Paul. 

I'd offer to have you drop by and take a romp thru my rig but I keep in in RV storage lot and it's now under a PNO insurance/registration as I won't be camping for a few months due to double knee replacement surgery next Tuesday. Argh!  :s

If you'd like to chat, shoot me a PM with you phone # and I'll give you a shout. 

Good luck in your search! These rigs are worth the effort. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    There used to be a Tab dealer in Asusa, who folded about the time I started looking in 2016.  The RV show in Pomona is allegedly scheduled for October this year.
    I eventually bought my trailer at Tom's after seeing the Tabs at Pomona in 2016.  NuCamp had a big presence there, the CEO sat in the trailer and chatted with me for a few minutes.
    Tom's was great, and easy to deal with.
    The other dealer you hear nice things about is Vogel's in Ukiah.  Lots of owners in NorCal.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Denny16: With you and AirBoss vouching for the SD dealership, I'll just set up an appt and drive down with my BW and check out the Tabs.
    Binghi: yeah, but with no viable TV, renting is not an option now. Thanks for your input.
    Dalehelman: I researched the greater LA area and came up butkis. Thanks anyhow.
    Airboss: Thanks for sharing your experience with the SD dealer. That makes driving to SD a better option. Then I can check out the Tabs and the dealership at the same time! I'll take you up on your offer to confab via phone.
    pthomas745: In my internet research, the California RV Show has been permanently cancelled per the website "RvMiles.com" https://rvmiles.com/upcoming-rv-shows/
    Thanks guys!
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Danny_teardrop,
    I’d definitely rent one first before purchase.  A quick look at RvShare.com in the LA shows 320 rentals.  We looked at 320 for a couple years.  Wife loved them.  Me at 5’11”, not so much.  My feet hung over the bed, my head hit the ceiling except in one small area of trailer.  But I wanted to “git outa Dodge” so I gave in.  About 8000 miles later I heard a “you were right” and we’re looking at a 400 or different brand, shhhhhh......
    Rent first, a few minutes looking at one won’t bring out the best, or worst.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Thanks for all who replied. I was surprised by the immediacy of replies. Confirms that this is a great and supportive group!

Well, true for the most part.  PM me for the names of the malcontents.  B)
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Argh...  double knee replacement.  Hurts just thinking about it.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Just to be clear here, AirBoss is not on my list on malcontents.  In fact, he's one of the Cool Kids.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I wanna be a "Cool Kid!!!"🤓
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    @4ncar
    You'll have to spit in your palm and swear on a package of Ball Park Franks that you don't use ketchup on your hot dogs and that fruit has no place on pizza!  ;)

A secret password and handshake awaits...
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    Complaining about not being a CoolKid™ might put you on the double secret Malcontent™ list.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    I totally agree with @GatorEgg. If you can rent a 320 and try it out, do so. Every time I slam my head on the cabinets I shake my fist and yell “I need more space!”, but then I see my T@B sitting in the driveway or nestled in the campsite and I go all gooey eyed about how cute it is (either that or I am gooey eyed from the concussion). Either way, I echo the sentiment to try before you buy.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo
  • Options
    A TaB 400 gives you more head room and larger interior space. Same cuteness factor...
    cheers
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Head bumps not withstanding, I think the 320 beats the 400 hands down in the cuteness department.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    I would call the 320 cute and the 400 slick. It’s too big too be cute.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo
  • Options
    AirBoss said:
    @4ncar
    You'll have to spit in your palm and swear on a package of Ball Park Franks that you don't use ketchup on your hot dogs and that fruit has no place on pizza!  ;)

A secret password and handshake awaits...
    I can do all of this! Well... can I have Hawaiian pizza once & awhile?
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    I have trouble with the _ute word...unless it relates to my GF or one of my nieces...🤷🏻‍♂️
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    I've always thought the teardrop camper was a shape that didn't scale particularly well, and that the 320 was at the upper end of the range.

This is not completely subjective. There are certain rules of proportion and balance that make some objects more visually pleasing than others.

That said, having now seen several in the wild, I find the 400 looks better in person that I thought it would given the initial photos I saw.

You, of course, are completely welcome to your own opinions on the matter!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    We get lots of compliments when we are out with the TaB400 and Jeep Truck together.  Yes smaller tends to be cutie but some larger things can be cutie too.
    cheers
  • Options
    I agree with Scott G, the teardrop form has visual limits. Sorry to say  the 400 “Jumps The Shark” for me. It reminds me of the evil alien life form in Star Troopers. For this reason alone, I would wear my underwear for weeks on end to save space, to avoid going to a 400. Love the look of the 320. It’s the SuperModel of the trailer world, only without the high maintenance of dating one (ask me how I know) (actually, don’t ask me how I know since I’ve never dated one). I digress. Conversely, I’ve never understood how TWO people can camp in a 320. Jeez, it’s tight in here. If I camped with a significant other, I’d bite the stylistic bullet and buy a 400 in a heartbeat. That “other” would have to be Elizabeth Hurley. Or her Mom. Would consider a second cousin in a pinch.
  • Options
    Danny teardrop - my apologies that this discussion has ventured far and wide from your original question. This is how we do do things on the forum. This may provide some insight into the mindset of T@B owners. While slightly crazy, we do love our trailers.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Tabaz: no worries. I rather enjoy the meandering conversation. A pinball kind of discussion where folks jump in and out. The myriad topics are relevant. I like the dimensions of the 320 since I would park it on my driveway. but the low ceiling would be a concern. So the 400 would be more attractive but at a cost and 3 more ft. New vs Used? I'd need to buy a TV but would it fit in the garage? Mid size truck or SUV? Looking at used TV like Honda Ridgeline (tow capac 5K), Colorado/Canyon gasser (7K), Ford Explorer Sport (5K). So looking at +/- $60/70K investment. Never towed in my life but need to tow the TAB from the dealer/private party to home. Also forgot to get the buy-in from my BW. haha..
  • Options
    If it's doable, think strongly about going with a TV that has a 7000/700 tow/tongue rating if you're leaning towards the 400. Gives you a nice cushion between what the TV can safely handle and the GAWR of the 400. It also means that if you decide to trade up to something a bit larger in the future, you still have the capacity to do so. That extra capacity in towing, tongue and cargo comes in handy.

We all camp differently and regard a variety of things as "essential." To that end, remember that whatever you put in your TV (you, others, dog, fuel, gear, etc.) and to some degree where you put it, has to factored into your calculations.

Cheers and enjoy the search!  

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Tabaz said:
    Conversely, I’ve never understood how TWO people can camp in a 320. Jeez, it’s tight in here. 
    Gotta agree with this. In my case the two of us camp outdoors. We are rarely both inside at the same time unless we are sleeping.

The one time I camped solo I thought the T@B was an absolute palace!
    2015 T@B S