Options

dometic fridge gas level indicator not working

When my dometic fridge is cooling on propane the needle on the gauge does not move into the “green” portion, needle stays far left. The fridge cools well on propane and would be nice if the propane indicator worked. Is this an easy fix for a DIY task?   It is under warranty but hate to take it in for this issue. 
2020 TAB 320 U
TV 2022 Highlander

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,588
    When my dometic fridge is cooling on propane the needle on the gauge does not move into the “green” portion, needle stays far left.
    Dometic (?) . . . I thought 2020's still had the NorCold N180.3 3-way Fridge.
    If you have a Dometic - - - Please provide the Fridge Model Number.

Norcold N180.3 controls look like:

On the N180 Model the Flame Meter gets power from the Thermocouple that is heated by the burning flame. So only one of three things could be wrong for the Meter not to function;
         1] meter defective
         2] thermocouple defective
         3] bad wire terminal connection.

Since the Flame Meter is sold on Amazon good chance that is the failure point.  Replacing it should not be a big deal, removing stove top will provide access to back side of Fridge Control Panel.
    https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-Standard-61481322-Meter-Flame-Indicator/dp/B008KWL7KC
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    @MuttonChops, you are 100% correct NorCold N180.3 3-way Fridge.  My brain was on vacation.  I will remove the stove top today and begin the debugging process. Thanks. 
    Cheers
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Freespirit and @MuttonChops, forum user @chooch had a similar issue and sought help on it (in August 2020) on their 2019 320 S), but there were no responses.  They have not posted anything since then (that I can see), but if they are still on the forum maybe they will see this discussion thread and chime in with their resolution, if any.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11707/propane-flame-indicator-problem-norcold-n180-3 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Update, I did remove the stove top(4 screws) and checked red and blue wire connection and they were firmly connected on both ends. My guess is the meter flame indicator is defective. After testing the connections and “giggling” the wires I started the refrigerator on propane and it lit and started to cool but no movement in the needle. I will check with Norcold tomorrow for a “free” replacement since it is still under warranty.

From what I could see, the blue wire is going to be the challenging one to get off and the new blue wire attached. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    TMCTMC Member Posts: 2
    So did you ever get this sorted?
    Having the same issue.
  • Options
    I did not, I still have a non-working meter flame indicator. I never heard back from Norcold and decided not to peruse resolution with them. Since our refrigerator reliable starts within the first couple tries, I use sound (pilot light igniting) or sight to view the burning pilot light. Not the most convenient but for now the choice I have made. 

2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    @TMC, I Ordered the flame indicator and it arrived yesterday, installed it today and all systems are go. It is soooo nice to know when the refrigerator is lit and not having to take the side vent off to see if I have a flame. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Thanks for the great info on this part @MuttonChops. I've bookmarked this discussion and added the part to my Amazon wish list, so I'll know how to check and where to get this when mine eventually fails...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    TMCTMC Member Posts: 2
    @Freespirit, I too ordered the new flame meter and all is working.  When I called Norcold, they indicated that this was likely the issue given the symptoms.
  • Options
    mytabbys701mytabbys701 Member Posts: 18
    @Freespirit - yep, me too, got the part from amazon (above) all back and working.
    2018 T@B 320S, a.k.a. The 4th Bedroom/2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5
  • Options
    GreggyGreggy Member Posts: 5
    I have a tab 320s
    the fridge seems to work on propane but the meter is not functioning ( have a new one)
    can anyone guide me on how to install the new one? Do I lift the stove up?
    Thanks in advance!!
    greg

• Options
    I’m referring to the white/green flame meter in case I wasn’t descriptive enough, it always stays in the white

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,588
    Greggy said:
    . . .  guide me on how to install the new one?
    Steps are simple while working space / access might require patience.

= 1 =  Lift glass stove top cover.
     = 2 =  Pop-off the Four (4) rubber glass top stops {they cover the mounting screws}
     = 3 =  Remove screws.
     = 4 =  Lift up Stove Top assembly. Note attached 'gas line' will restrict movement of the stove top.
                You now have access to the Fridge top surface and rear of Front Control Panel.

= 5 =  Believe the Flame Meter (11)  is held in-place by two screws (17) with washers (16)
                  {based on parts list diagram, below}

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Thank-you so much, that was so helpful 
    I did it today, all went well, just need abit of silicone around the propane stove
    the blue wire is the most challenging!!!