Options

Strengthening poorly built rear seat benches

ChopinChopin Member Posts: 40
edited April 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
Our 2021 Tab 320 is amazing. But unfortunately, the rear bench seats (that cover the Alde and the AC unit) were extremely poorly built, and both broke within weeks. They did not have enough reinforcement and were put together mostly with staples. NuCamp was very helpful and replaced one under warranty (I didn't ask them to replace the second since it was less serious). My understanding is they were made by a subcontractor. However since I anticipated that they would probably just break again, I decided to take them apart and strengthen them. I was able to remove the upholstery by taking out all the staples then pull out the wooden frame. I then took this apart and put it back together using wood glue and clamping it overnight. I then added metal corner braces and additional wooden cross braces. I am by no means an expert carpenter but it wasn't that hard and now they are absolutely solid. Before/after photos attached. 

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Short of taking mine apart, but how were the frames previously secured? I only see 2 pocket screws. These, when used at each joint are surprisingly strong. 

Your solution should work well. Sorry you had to do it!😒
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    The screws provided little strength because the wood is of rather poor quality. They broke right through. There were also screws at the corner joints. But that’s exactly where the breakages happened. Other than that the flat panel was held to the frame just with some flimsy staples. The combination of glue and screwed in metal braces and additional wooden span is now very strong. We’ve had no more issues. 
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    @Chopin, nice job. 
    I see you have a workshop like mine. 
    Any available space will do since I don't have my own area for repairs.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Those are constructed differently than in my 2015. Mine appear to be just a thick piece of plywood with a cushion on top. The whole things is wrapped in material (still stapled) so I can't inspect more closely without taking them apart, but they have been solid for six years and counting.

@Chopin, your modification looks like a good solution!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    I wonder if this is another supply issue?  I know builders are struggling with supplies.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I wonder if this is another supply issue?  I know builders are struggling with supplies.
    And a $10 sheet of plywood is now over $60 
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Could be, or just a change in design--not necessarily better or worse overall.

So much has evolved in the last six years that virtually everything outside of the basic design and construction is different now than it was in 2015.

Good thing you're keeping track of all that, @Sharon_is_SAM.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    Well ... not all of it:)
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Nice job @Chopin!  I use pocket screw connections a bunch and have found them to be a strong connection...but mostly in the direction of the screws.  They will pull a joint together nicely but are not as strong a joint when forces are applied laterally or twisting, plus the quality of the wood is also a factor.
    I think you've solved your problem.
    @Sharon_is_SAM and @Tampakayaker I agree with both points, prices are climbing so quickly that it has to be hard for nuCamp to keep up and they and their subs are constantly seeing their net whittled down.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    @fstop32
     could it be the new style seat to allow the Alde automatic purge valve room to sit level?
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Ok, I take it back...

Upon closer inspection it appears my cushions are constructed the same as @Chopin's--at least with regard to the wood frame topped with a thinner piece of plywood. The bottom was covered with fabric that I didn't care to remove, so I can't confirm exactly how everything was assembled.

Point being, it does not appear they have changed the seat design from what it was in 2015.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    My cushions on my 2021 and 2015 appeared the same to me. I think the OP's issue was more of a outlier issue than a widespread problem. Maybe it was a weakness in the wood.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @jkjenn Hi Jen! I love your videos and learn a lot from you! I hope that it was an outlier. However, the troubling thing was that the wood frames cracked and gave way on both sides, from normal use within a couple of weeks of us getting the Tab. The wood did appear particularly weak/fragile and in both cases the pocket screws at a corner joint broke through. In fact, we had not yet even taken it out camping. We were just using it to relax and get to know it in the driveway, so to speak. But now that I've strengthened them they are solid, and the rest of the woodwork seems to be of high quality. Thankfully no other issues and we adore our camper.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Chopin said:
    @jkjenn Hi Jen! I love your videos and learn a lot from you! I hope that it was an outlier. However, the troubling thing was that the wood frames cracked and gave way on both sides, from normal use within a couple of weeks of us getting the Tab. The wood did appear particularly weak/fragile and in both cases the pocket screws at a corner joint broke through. In fact, we had not yet even taken it out camping. We were just using it to relax and get to know it in the driveway, so to speak. But now that I've strengthened them they are solid, and the rest of the woodwork seems to be of high quality. Thankfully no other issues and we adore our camper.
    Hi, thanks for the kind words.

Your post was literally the first time I have seen anyone bring this up in my one to 10 years following the T@b community, so I would think it is an outlier. I am wondering if the cushions were not properly seated thus not getting the support from the bench frame?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yep, I agree with @jkjenn. Maybe a few boards cut from the same weak part of the same tree slipped through QC that day and made it into your seat cushion frames. It's like winning the lottery!  :-) 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    In the near future I plan to take the fabric off the bottom of one of my cushion so I can carve out a little room for my repositioned Alde automatic air bleeder. When I do so I will inspect to see if mine are assembled the same way with pocket screws. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited May 2021
    @jkjenn @ScottG I'm pretty sure that they were properly seated. I'm careful about examining these things. But it's notable that the bench frame edges do not provide that much support since they don't extend far under the cushions. So if there's any weakness in the cushions, there's not going to be much support. Also, I noted that Chris and Gris seem to have had exactly the same problem in their 2021 320, which they addressed in this video, though they came up with a different solution from mine. They extended the bench frame, whereas I strengthened the cushions. The NuCamp warranty department did say they would pass the information on to their QC department, so hopefully it does not become a widespread issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmnxd3QoItg
  • Options
    Here's a photo of the exposed "skeleton" of my seat cushion. The board on the left is the original cross member. It is made of 2-1/2" x 7/8" clear hardwood (likely poplar) and there were no screws evident that I could see or feel. The frame might be assembled with dowels or biscuits, or it may be pocket screwed from the top--there was no way to tell for certain without further dismantling the cushion.

(The board on the right is one I added to strengthen the frame I was cutting to make room for the air bleeder--another story!)  

2015 T@B S