Door Lock Doing Its Job

BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 80
Just got the new 2021 400 Boondock home 5 days ago.  Been learning it & stocking it.  We were really liking it.

Pulled the door shut last night to lock it.  Now today, can't get in.  Can't turn any of the 4 keys any bit at all in attempts to unlock it.

Door can be pulled outward only a little bit by the handle.  Worked fine the previous days.

Read through a few threads in the past about some door latching issues, but not regarding being locked out.

We'll call dealer or Nucamp tomorrow, but any ideas out there?  Sure would be nice if we could get in the door  =)

2021 T@B 400 Boondock  - Chev Silverado 3500HD 6.6L - Toyota 4Runner 4.0L
SW Montana USA

Comments

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    edited May 2021
    @BridgerSunset
    I have found that the key can feel like it wont fit at all if inserted just slightly off angle from straight on...It makes it a difficult lock to open at night for instance. And my 2021 400 Boondock also had the lock strike misaligned so that even with the door locked, it would pull out of the main hole of the strike plate and be essentially partially open.
    I wasn't certain at first, but you sound like the key is inserted, but the lock won't rotate to unlock it. I've never experienced that problem with mine, but have you tried pushing against the door to ensure it is fully closed, and then trying to open the lock (while keeping some pressure on the closed door)?
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    @Bayliss
    The current generation of 400's don't have that style of lock. It is one keyhole. Counterclockwise to lock, clockwise to unlock. That's it.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • BridgerSunsetBridgerSunset Member Posts: 80
    Right.  Should be pretty simple, but something's haywire.  Keys go in fine, just cant turn past about 12:30 on a clockface.  Been wiggling every way, but don't want to break key off.  Pretty sure I could pry door open with force.... but that's just stupid.  Besides, check probably hasn't even cleared yet......

SW Montana USA

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Thanks for the clarification, @ChrisFix.  I deleted my post.

@BridgerSunset, if @ChrisFix's suggestion does not work, prying the door would be pretty drastic.  First, give nüCamp or your dealer a call for any other suggestions.  OR, in the off chance that you left a window open, that is a good way in to remove the lock from the inside.  Good luck!!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited May 2021
    I seem to remember someone posting a while back something about putting down or picking up stabilizers to slightly shift the door jam when they couldn’t get a door open. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Might be something to that @Marceline .  But I've tried a bunch of that already with different combinations of weight on each one.  We are parked front to back on an incline, but jacked up level.  Playing with that hasn't worked yet either.
    Maybe the 6" of snow on Saturday then the 60 degrees yesterday has confused this little camper.  
    SW Montana USA

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Try putting some graphite powder into the key hole. Slowly work the key left to right.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    @BridgerSunset
    Just to be certain, you aren't using the stabilizer jacks to level the camper? I only ask as you mention playing with different amounts of weight on them. If they are bearing a leveling load, then that might be enough to tweak the door/lock.
    Might be something to that @Marceline .  But I've tried a bunch of that already with different combinations of weight on each one.  We are parked front to back on an incline, but jacked up level.  Playing with that hasn't worked yet either.
    Maybe the 6" of snow on Saturday then the 60 degrees yesterday has confused this little camper.  
    Can you try hitching it up and towing it to someplace flat? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    I'm hoping Sharon-is-Sam will find the thread where a discussion about the vendor for locks was discussed.  I replaced my stock lock upon learning that all RV locks were keyed the same. That vendor was very helpful and honest.  They would be the best source for solving this problem.  Just can't remember that company's name.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Tabaz - I am stumped.  Looked - no findee😞
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    When in doubt call a locksmith!  That might be an option but call your dealer first and go from there.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I have had an issue a couple of times on our 2020 400 where the inside handle gets moved towards the lock position when the door is closed.

I have also had an issue a couple of times when my wife somehow managed to remove the key before turning it back to the 12 o'clock position. 

The fix for issue 1 is to make sure that you have a key outside of the camper or you will be locked out. This never causes an issue getting the door unlocked, so this isn't your problem but it is something to be aware of that can happen.

The cure for issue 2 was patience and making sure the key was fully inserted. I have also discovered that if the door is able to be opened when this happens, that you can use the lever inside the door to help rotate things back to 12 o'clock.

I have also had the 2 bolts that align with the striker plate work their way out making it catch when opening and closing the door. Once again this isn't your problem either but just an awareness. 

If you absolutely can't get the key back in to get the door open, a lock smith would be a great suggestion as noted previously.

Brad

2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @BridgerSunset Like the thread title!  I always had to push the door of the T@B in, from the outside, to get the lock to work, and the same is true for my new camper. Similarly, to lock the door from inside I had to pull on the door.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

No dice this morning.  Will report back after trying the official route.   Maybe they can offer something about the graphite or locksmith routes.

Stabilizers only used to minimize bounce, but will keep trying different combos of light pressure.
    Will try moving trailer to level ground; but I've got the Alde running inside for heat, so gotta figure out if I can unplug without corrupting anything.  Still need to heat inside a little even though it's late May.  Also nothing is stowed properly inside if I have to haul back to dealer 2 hours away.  

Just happy it's sitting in my driveway.  Boondocks up here can get real cold.  Thanks for the thoughts.
    SW Montana USA

I know Chris.  I was looking for the name of the company so the person could at least call them for help.
    Tabaz said:
    I know Chris.  I was looking for the name of the company so the person could at least call them for help.
    I think that it would be better to find out who makes the lock in @BridgerSunset's T@B and contact them.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    So.... discussed issue with NuCamp today.  They were responsive & supportive; but couldn't really say they knew the cause for sure.  Ended up deciding we can go in 2 directions if nothing else works:  
    1.  Pull on handle till door opens or handle breaks
    2.  Drill out lockset
    Both options they'd send out replacement parts to me if needed.

I've moved camper to level; let it soak in the sun; wiggled some more.  No success.

Talked with dealer.  Bottom line - - I'm opting to take it in to them & let them try.  Pretty sure how things would turn out if I try it.  Stay tuned.
    SW Montana USA

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Marceline, the TaB400 door and door latch/lock assembly is from Europe (Germany I think) and shipped to nüCamp as an assembly from what I understand.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Update on door lockout.....
    Got our 2021 T@B400 back from dealer finally.   They couldn't open door either, using normal efforts.  They did finally get into the camper via a window (with special tools, I'm told).   They replaced a piece of the lockset (tumbler) that Nucamp shipped in, and a new set of keys.  Not sure all the details of why, but it seems to work for now.

So, finally we have our camper.  This after delays from a bad inverter (caught by dealer before walk-through), the door latch issue, and last night, finding the dreaded un-attached fitting behind the Nautilus that leaked into the camper before I could shut off flow.  (Thanks to this forum that was minor).

The lesson here on the door is this:  apparently drilling out the lockset is the least invasive entry if you find yourself unable to get in & aren't anywhere near a locksmith.  I for one will be prepared to do that. 
    SW Montana USA

Glad you finally got it sorted.
    Cheers
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Well, this is OBE now but if you push in on the door--right at the lock--while you turn the key it might (might!) ease the friction between the latch and striker plate.
    edited June 2021
    The key doesn’t (edit, it does, if you turn it hard enough) work the door latch at the stricker plate,.  OP couldn’t get the door lock to even turn to release the lock, let alone the bolt.
     Cheers 
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Guess that is a change from 2019.  My key will pull the bolt back from the strike plate
    edited June 2021
    That’s interesting, thanks @falcon1970. I never tried turning it that far, checked, mine does the same on the Jan 2018, but it does get harder to turn the key to release the lock bolt.  
     Cheers