Options

Fantastic vent cover

I have read a lot of the posts on the vent covers. I’m a little confused though I’m not so much concerned with how far it opens I think any open when it’s raining is good I’m more concerned with the installation I don’t want to drill and do anything crazy up on the roof is there one that’s easy to install somehow clips on or has existing hardware or something like that
2019 320S Boondock Edge

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @Tater I’m confused by your post. My 320S came with a fully installed Fantastic Fan. It works for me, no need to replace it after three years. The flip side is that everyone customizes their Tab to what they like. No right or wrong about it, and that’s the fun of a Tab-making it “yours!” I’ve done all sorts of mods to mine, however DH has no idea why because he thinks it’s just fine as delivered. For me, mods are half the fun and camping is my dream not his.  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Tater, I have written a number of times here on the forum how easy the AeroFlo cover is to install. Do a search in the upper right corner of this page for AeroFlo and you will see how many of us have it and how we did not have to drill through the roof. 

Search for Fantastic Fan cover and you will see it is not just a name for the cover that comes from the factory, it can also be an add-on cover that is made by the Fantastic Fan company so you can use the FF in any type of weather. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TaterTater Member Posts: 134
    Thank you
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited January 2020
    @Tater, what year and model T@B do you have, and which FantasticFan model number?  The fan is manufactured by Dometic.

If I understand your inquiry correctly, is what you are looking for is an after-market vent cover that allows you to open the stock vent lid when it is raining?  If so, take a look at this thread:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/111606#Comment_111606

The whole thread is worth reading, but also take a look at my July 2019 post.  If you have a newer vent housing, it has the exterior plastic mounting brackets, which allow for really easy installation of the Dometic U1400 cover for the FantasticFan.  If you don't have those brackets, then you will need the U1500 cover.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Very helpful !!  That’s exactly what I meant. 
    I have a 2019 320s Boondock. I just got her Monday and my first ever camper.  I don’t know what model the fantastic fan is but I will find out. I guess I can look on the roof too and see if there are tabs there. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Perfect, @Tater.  I have the 1450 model, so that is most likely what you have.  Regardless, if you have those tabs, the Ultra Breeze (U1400) cover will work great.  Just stress to the dealer you go through to order the U1400.  Otherwise, they will likely order the U1500, which will not work with those tabs.  (If you go to the Dometic web site, I believe they have a dealer locator section, unless you want the grey smoke version, which you can order through e-trailer.com.)

P.S.  If you get a chance, add a description of your trailer to your signature line.  That is very helpful to others whenever you have a question.  To do that, click on your user name at the top of the page, then click on the small head icon with the drop down arrow.  That will take you to your Profile page.  Once there, click on "Signature Settings" on the left side of the page.  You will see a box where you can enter anything you want to include as your signature line.  (Be sure to click the "Save" button before exiting your profile page.)
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    One of the best mods we did was to replace the Fantastic fan with the Maxxair fan with remote. You can use it when it rains, more speeds, quieter, uses less energy and the best part you can change speeds with out getting out of bed. It wasn't that hard to do just time consuming. 
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    I love my MAxxair fan. I have one on my camper van. It had the remote.  I would not be able to Install it myself. Think I could get a dealer to do it ?  Any cutting drilling involved ?

Thanks
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Thanks Bayliss , Great Info
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    I’ve gotten to my profile page but I’ve looked everywhere I can’t find a signature setting line. 
    Possibly because I’m using my iPhone?
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    @Tater you could install yourself. No cutting but you do have to drill holes. Search for Maxxair install, there are pictures. Your local dealer could do it would just add more cost.
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 188
    edited January 2020
    I think there must have been a running change in 2019 on which fantastic fan they used in the 320's . The one Bayliss has on his 2019 is different than the one we have on our 2019 . His has the vent cover tabs , and is screwed into the roof . Ours did not have the vent cover tabs , and was only mounted to the roof using sealant , NO screws . Ours , is I believe, an early 2019 - no screws , and no tabs for a cover. I am guessing Bayliss's 320, is a later 2019 and nuCamp changed fantastic fan models that utilized tabs for a cover, and they screwed it into the roof ?
    I think I read that nuCamp made a running change back in early 2016  , that all ceiling roof mounted fan did not use screw fasteners any longer . Only clamp on / sealant adhesive ?  Strange that Bayliss 2019 fantastic fan uses screws ? Maybe nuCamp changed to using screws again ? 

We just choose to up grade to the Maxxair , and love it . Well worth the extra effort to install a maxxair instead of a fantastic fan "cover"  for us . (and a lot more $$$ I am sure, lol) . 
    Love having the built in rain guard feature, and remote control option of the maxxair . 
    Installation of the maxxair, is a lot more "intense" than installing just a "cover" , so just know what our getting into , before you decide which to go with ! 

Here is a step by step installation procedure with pictures of when I installed a maxxair 7500 on our 2019 320s , to help you decide if a maxaair upgrade is an option for you . 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9490/2019-320s-oem-fantastic-fan-to-maxxair-installation-complete#latest

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    I’m gonna get up on my roof and see if it’s got tabs
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    I wish I could install myself but I can’t. I have Vertigo ladders and I don’t get along. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Tater said:
    I’ve gotten to my profile page but I’ve looked everywhere I can’t find a signature setting line. 
    Possibly because I’m using my iPhone?
    Tater - from your iPhone, you need to access the full view “Desktop site” to add a signature line.

Via iPhones with Safari. (FYI: Apple and Vanilla can sometimes be a little challenging.)

1. Sign in on the forum home page: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/
    2. Next, touch and hold the "refresh" icon   in your address bar.
    3. Tap ‘Request Desktop site” from the pop up. (If you see - “Something has gone wrong”,
    just tap the bottom arrow to go back a page and the Desktop site will appear.)
    4. Horizontal view is bigger/easier to read.
    5. Tap the “gear” icon in the upper right corner.
    6. Tap “Edit Profile”.
    7. Your full Edit Profile menu appears on the left. (Save any changes!)

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Awesome, Sharon_is_Sam

You people are very helpful. 

Tater
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Unfortunately mine does not have any tabs on it and it does not have any screws either. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    @Tater, assuming you still would like to stick with the Ultra Breeze cover, you will need the U1500 model.  I sent a reply to your private message and included a couple attachments, which provide installation information.  Let me know whether you receive the message.  Thanks.

• Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    Can someone offer their trick on how to work on the top of a T@B400 (i.e. for vent cover work). I don't want to put weight on the roof and even with a tall ladder the center of the roof is out of my reach. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    @jimcenname, the below thread addresses your question, but if you use the search function you may find similar discussions, usually involving the FanTastic fan, MaxxAir, or AeroFlo covers, so maybe include those as search terms.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9077/roof-vent-cover

@Tater, you may be interested in reading that thread as well.

• Options
    Thank you 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    I think I'm in the same boat as Tater - with no screws and no flanges on my Fan (2020 400 BD). I'm wanting the Ultra Breeze cover for the living room Fan. The bathroom vent (white) is fine as-is. I have a Fantastic Fan Owners manual, but no model number on that. In fact, I can't find the word "Dometic" on any part of my fan, inside or out. Could there be screws under the copious caulking? Do I need the U1500 model vent cover? Pics for help in model identification.

2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    After going to Dometic's website, I found installation instructions for the U1500. Seems like maybe the Fantastic 1450 Model Fan has two options of outside mounting flange, regular (with screw holes to mount the Cover), and "Clamp" (no screw holes). "Clamp fans do not have screw holes in the external mounting flange". I guess that means those of us with "clamp" mounting flanges need to drill holes.  :s
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    finding_eliasfinding_elias Member Posts: 26
    Bayliss said:
    @Tater, assuming you still would like to stick with the Ultra Breeze cover, you will need the U1500 model.  I sent a reply to your private message and included a couple attachments, which provide installation information.  Let me know whether you receive the message.  Thanks.
    @Bayliss
    I wonder if you might clarify about the U1400 vs the U1500 model. I can't find the U1400 model easily and Dometic doesn't even list it on their website anymore. I really want to get this but afraid of not order the one that will easily snap on with the 4 pins without drilling. What I'm perplexed about is which to purchase. Then there are several models with different letters out too. It appears the BLS models which includes U1500BLS does not fit a Tab with the clips as per some of the Amazon reviews but they may be older model vents? Any help you can provide would be great. I have a 2021 Tab 320S Boondock...brand new. 
    Elias - Phoenix, Arizona
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock, 2021 Jeep Gladiator JT
  • Options
    i just got a link to this thread. I really want to ditch the not so fantastic fan and get a Maxxair
    with auto rain sensor and 10 speed remote. 
    I have one in my drive a bowl and it is truly FANTASTIC :)
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    @finding_elias...........I just now saw your post, but see my July 2019 entry in the below discussion thread.  Let me know if it answers your questions.  It definitely is a hard item to find, but I believe eTrailer.com may sell it (at least the gray smoke color, which is slightly less dark than the black smoke color.)  Greg

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/111606#Comment_111606

• Options
    Thanks @Bayliss believe me I read everything on the topic. The problem becomes that some of these posts are older and I make sure to look at the model people have to know what unit they're speaking of and compare to mine. That's here. And then you go to Amazon an people say an entirely different thing. And these vents have so many different model numbers and they all do the same darn thing! I can very that the Fan-Tastic Flow Stream Vent that Camping World sells in smoke fits perfectly in the 4 slots on my room coming from the fan. however I thing the 4 tabs are covered in that dry gooey plastic which will bee me to pearce a hole through there eventually. 
    Elias - Phoenix, Arizona
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @finding_elias, one thing I have learned about Amazon reviews is that they often include reviews for a different item/model than the specific product you are considering.  This adds to the confusion and can be very misleading.  It definitely helps when photos and more specific information is included, such as is often the case with posts on this forum.  Can you post a photo of your fan housing (roof view)?  I'm not clear on what "dry gooey plastic" you are referring to.  Caulking, possibly?

• Options
    edited June 2021
    @Bayliss since I'm still not 100% clear on how to make my photos smaller, I won't do that quite yet since I don't want to get called out again. Basically, the four tabs where the vent mounts are covered with the same rubberized sealant used to seal in the fan to the roof. The vent cover I purchased from Camping World fits just fine in those 4 posts. I'm just not happy with the 4 plastic rivets Dometic includes to secure to the posts. I know they're going to break off after 1 good Phoenix summer so I'll have to be changing them out every year which is fine. I'll use a small screwdriver to poke a hole in the sealant so I can see the hole. Someone posted a good pic on Amazon showing the posts with no sealant on them at all so it's clear where the hole is for me to place the rivets. It's a 10 minute install. I tend to research things too much and overthink everything but that's me. Yesterday I learned that Nucamp bolts down the Yakima roof rack so you can't move it at all. Found that out the hard way but no harm done. I guess they do that to ensure even weight distribution on the roof. That's a whole other story. Was trying to mount my Valterra hose storage there but I'll just have to discontinue use of that storage since the best mod I've seen here for that is too invasive for my taste. Cheers!
    Elias - Phoenix, Arizona
  • Options
    MooreeMooree Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2022
    I have two vent covers from Camco for my Jayco, I generally love to close it when I think it's going to rain, but would like to be able to leave them open while out for the day or overnight, with one right in their bed. They are a lot lighter and smaller than I expected. Only thin plastic, but easy to install, and will do the job. These allowed us to keep the vents open in the camp while sitting on a permanent site. The vents, with separate windows, keep the camper from becoming a WI sauna with mold on the wheels.