2019 320s OEM Fantastic fan to MaxxAir installation - complete !

B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
Decided instead of just updating our factory OEM 2019 320s fantastic fan , I choose to do a complete removal and install of a new MaxxAir 7500K (top of the line one) . The factory Fantastic fan was OK , but I grew tired of the manual opening , no remote control and no rain cover . Just decided to go with the MaxxAir . 

This one ...........

Also used this self leveling Lap sealant , and butyl tape .......

First went about removing the Factory Fantastic Fan, and it was quite a job ! They really seal that thing in place . LOTS of butyl tape and lap sealant . 
Was SHOCKED when I found out nuCamp uses NO screws in the fan at all !

Picture of the roof with the removed fan showing NO screws !!! (and some small scratches from removal, but I knew the new fan would cover it all . That thing was hard to remove!  
PPG DX440 adhesive/wax remover makes short work out of getting all the old butyl tape and sealant off the roof with no harm to the aluminum roof skin or paint . 

Next , was to set the new MaxxAir fan "frame" and carefully center it ........and drill 16 holes through the roof ..........GULP ! 
(notice the aluminum framing that surrounds the fan opening ........talk about nuCamp quality , wow ! All the holes/screws are directly through the roof, into the aluminum frame . 

MaxxAir mounting frame installed, with some nice thick butyl tape underneath (you can kind of see it sticking out) . 

Now to tape of the area for the self leveling Lap sealant to flow , and hopefully not make a mess . I Cut the old lap sealant away from the solar panel, so it "butted" up to it and sealed properly .

Now for some lap sealant .........grey to match the factory sealant . Finished and tape pulled . You have to work pretty fast with this lap sealant .........but not too fast . Definitely an art to getting this stuff to look "neat" ! 

Just about finished ...........wiring was simple . Just two wires - easy peasy . Had to trim the "beauty ring" next . Just an FYI , the measurements were exactly 2.5 inches . 

Here are some finished pictures , inside and out . Also some pics showing the fan open and closed ..........

Main reason for the switch from the factory OEM Fantastic Fan to the MaxxAir was ........

Pros ........
1. Ability to leave the fan open in the rain 
2. Remote control opening 
3. The remote control itself for all the settings
4. Less power draw 
5. Thermostat control if needed 
6 . Liked the sleek look
7. Ability to leave the fan open when traveling when needed
8. Fan works as a ceiling fan when closed, to help keep heat/ac circulating  
9. I am in the business , so to speak, and my cost was not that bad compared to the Fantastic fan upgrade route . 
10. Remote control 
10. REMOTE CONTROL ! 
10. REMOTE CONTROL !!! 

And the minor cons ......
1. Partially blocks the solar panel when closed 
2. Lid/Cover is not as "dark" as the factory Fantastic Fan 
3. Manual open/close knob sticks down "slightly" more than the factory fan (might remove it) . 

It works GREAT , and it was worth the cost and installation time. 
Install was not easy , as you cant really work "on" the roof like most RV's . There was a LOT of climbing up ladders, from side to side to install . Total install time was about 3-4 hours , taking it slow . 
In the end, it was worth it .........LOVE the new MaxxAIr ! 

Just the ability to let the fan run on hot days to keep the cabin from getting hot (and not worry about rain) is awesome ! 

Oh , and yes ...........I KNOW it very slightly blocks the solar panel when the fan is CLOSED . Not much of a concern for our camping style . When its open , the solar is totally unblocked . Also, we dont boondock too much , and almost always have shore power . If we need more solar, I can always add a portable unit , in addition to the factory solar . 

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

Comments

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    I also replaced my fan with the MaxxFan 7500 series in my T@G XL and found my experience to be as yours.  It's (IMHO) one of the most valuable upgrades I have made. While the entry fee ($300-ish) seems a bit steep, I strongly believe it will likely pay for itself over time in condensation mitigation, overheat damage reduction and, most important to me; interior comfort.  It's some of the best money I've spent on my trailer so far.

https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/660/maxxfan-roofvent-replacement/p2

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I did the same mod recently.  Pictures and info at http://www.klenger.net/vent-fan.html
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    I went with the same model but manual mode. I love the slower speeds for nighttime use. I've also camped in heat with the air conditioner running all day and evening and the Maxx will act as a ceiling fan when the lid is closed. That seemed to help disperse the cool air around the trailer.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @BOatguy, you leave the vent open while towing?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    @Sharon_is_SAM we substituted the same MaxxAir fan for the Fantastic Fan when we ordered our 320 BDL. I have towed with the vent slightly open without a problem.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    @BOatguy, you leave the vent open while towing?
    Yes, if its hot , we can and do leave it open ! 
    Its pretty aerodynamic , even when open . 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I am curious if it lowers the cabin temp when left open while towing.  May need to put my Acurite temp monitor to work!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    The problem that I have, even with the vent open is that the T@B is so tight that there is no way for air to get in to create a flow effect.  When parked in southern AZ with temps over 100°, the inside temp get to over 120°.  I do leave the vent open in hopes that some air is moving and heat escaping.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @klenger you don't use the special crack and lock the window feature on your trailer.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    Thank you @BOatguy I am now tempted to do the same upgrade myself!
    edited August 2019
    Yes , the only problem we all have with our nuCamps is that they are all built so dang good . They are built and sealed up so tight that its hard to get airflow unless there is another "opening" besides the fan . Wish there was some kind of vent that could be open to work in combination with the roof fan . 

The "special crack and lock" window feature does not work . Its a pretty useless feature really. When the windows are open in this mode, the rubber seal still makes contact and still seals the window . AT least thats what I have found . It is evident when using the fan , there is no air transfer . Even the tone of the fan is evident . No difference in fan tone when the camper is closed , or the windows are in the "crack and lock mode" ........the fan still make a struggling sound . Open a window or door, and its like a wind tunnel ! 

Still loving this Fan upgrade . Just thinking about venting options .........

• SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    Great step by step instructions. Thank you for sharing!
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    B0atguy said:
    The "special crack and lock" window feature does not work . Its a pretty useless feature really. When the windows are open in this mode, the rubber seal still makes contact and still seals the window . AT least thats what I have found.
    Perhaps something is different with the 2019 model window, but on our 2015 there is a noticeable gap at the bottom of each window when in the crack-and-lock position. You can feel the gap if you stand outside and touch the seal at bottom corner of a window. We rely on this gap to vent the stove when making coffee and eggs in the morning. The airflow is noticeable as soon as the fan starts up.
    We also rely on crack-and-lock to prevent condensation overnight.

BTW: Nice install job! Sounds like the MaxxAir is a superior unit all around and moves more air with less noise.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Has anyone compared the solar panel output with the unit open and closed? It seems it will depend which way you are facing as to whether or not you will get any significant loss.
    Here is a picture with the sun towards the rear of the T@B , with the MaxxAir open . No shadow at all on the panel when the sun is in the right positioning, and the vent is open . With the vent closed, it does block the panel, however when open , it is pretty close to the factory Fantastic fan . 

• dnodno Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2020
    Is the MaxAir noticeably quieter than the factory fan in the 320S? One of my main reasons to do the upgrade would be to not feel like I'm sleeping directly under the wing of a 747...
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    dno said:
    Is the MaxAir noticeably quieter than the factory fan in the 320S? One of my main reasons to do the upgrade would be to not feel like I'm sleeping directly under the wing of a 747...
    If I recall, doesn’t the factory fan have only three speeds? The MaxxAir has 10. The lowest ones make no noise at all, the highest aren’t *quiet*, but aren’t 747 level either. 

Having the opaque white one installed before purchase was one of my top 3 mods. Worth every penny, though I skipped the remote control version.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Very Nice, the real additional benefit is the new rain proof cover position, still use the fan in the closed position.  The rest of the features can be added to the factory fan with a simple Fantastic Fan upgrade kit...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    Just did my fan changeout too. Thanks for the pics. It helped. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods