Options

Towing with full size van...?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    A guy in the FB group tows his T@B with a pop-top van.  Cool combo.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    185 Hp @ 3000 RPM and 350 lb/ft at 1500 RPM .The high torque at low RPM is what makes a diesel good for towing .
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    I guess I should have put some text on first before I posted the picture. The weather is finally cooperating and we have hooked the new van to the trailer. We ended up using a Reese 5 1/4"drop hitch insert to get the trailer as close to level as possible. We took a trip up to Terry's Trailer Sales in Springmount ON to get them to do the frig recall.
        The van tows this trailer with no effort at all. Had the cruise set at 98KM/HR (60 MPH) and we averaged 15.5 MPG(US gallon) for the 95 miles.Going up the steeper hills, the transmission did not even downshift. We did not go far enough to see how good the mileage will be , as the average was still dropping.
        I was surprised that we needed that big of a drop hitch because I saw a pic somewhere with another transit and T@B with a shallow drop hitch that did not look bad. Our T@B is a 2014 and it  probably has a different axle assembly than the newer models. Tomorrow we are going to see how all our stuff will fit in.Happy so far. 
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Very sharp!

Suggestion: get a Scangauge for your Transit diesel-- these new diesels are pretty finicky with the emissions stuff; nice to have at least an idea of type of trouble if the CEL comes on....
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Looks great!  I tow with a Honda Odyssey with no problems.  I'm sure the Ford Transit will do you just fine.  Please keep us posted with your conversion plans.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,440
    Nice looking rig, KBaggins1. We also haul a lot of "toys" so I understand you space needs. I currently use a pickup with a cap--bikes clamp in the bed and kayaks go on top. However, the van looks a lot more convenient. If they only came with 4WD I think I'd be headed to the dealer!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks for all the comments. We considered a pickup and cap, but crawling in and out of the back to get at stuff did not appeal to us. The lack of 4WD is definitely a deal breaker for a lot of people.We do next to no boon docking so not a problem for us. There are a couple of companies doing 4WD conversions, but I think they are around 15,000.00 so that gets the price way up there.
  • Options
    So far, we have added a bike rack and a spare tire support to the inside of the van. Next will be some shelving and and a restraint system of some kind for the inflatable kayaks and the Whynter portable cooler. Also have to figure out shelving and a spot for the golf clubs. It will all be pretty basic, the main goal is to avoid flying objects in a panic stop.
  • Options
    If the spare tire mount looks familiar, it is because I took it off the T@B. Bolted a plate on the wall and bolted the T@B tire mount to it. There is tape under the plate in between the wall and a fender washer and rubber washer in between that and the wall of the van to prevent squeeking and scratching of the paint. Here is the tire and bikes mounted. I have to put the plastic wall cover back on but I am going to spray some rust proofing on the fender/body joint area while I can get at it. 
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Pretty sweet! I've been eyeing the Transits for a while and will likely go for one on that day when my trusty truck needs to retire. Lots of room, good engine, plenty of tow power for the T@Bs.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    We recently got back from Banff, Jasper and Kootenay National parks.We spent a week in each park and a total of 31 days in the T@B. The van worked great, the most comfortable and convenient TV we have ever had.Put on over 11000 KM. Mileage varys depending on speed and wind speed and direction. Overall average for the whole trip was 14.6 L/100 KM or 16.11 miles per us gallon. We were cruising 70 mph on the way out uphill mostly with a headwind drove the mileage down to about12 for a while. On the way home we did a few days at 75 mph and had a tailwind and got about 15.5 mpg. What drove the overall average down was the slow speed limits in places like the highway to Jasper and then to Kootenay and the mileage we put on without the trailer (somedays better than 24 mpg). So overall very happy with mileage. The nicest thing about the van while travelling is the way it seldom downshifts going up hills. Very relaxed and not driving along at 5000 rpm or so and thinking the transmission is going self destruct at any minute.
          We do have the luxury of not having to use this vehicle for any thing other than towing. It would be difficult to have this van as your only vehicle because it only has 2 seats. We are both retired now and have other vehicles for general use .   
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Vans are top notch for travel rigs.  The large, secure, dry space they offer is incredible and very versatile.  I think a lot of people that buy pickup trucks would actually be better served by a van. 

Unfortunately, vans are not "cool" in the views of the average person, and they don't typically offer as many luxury options as are available in pickups. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    @rkj__ Agreed.  I recently went with an F150 rather than a Transit because it was more comfortable for the wife and it was not a dedicated TV.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I like pick ups but my wife hates them. I have to say that once I looked inside a Transit van and saw that wide open space, I stroked pick up off my list. We put everything inside the van and we do not have to crawl inside a tunnel to get at anything. As far as luxury amenities, we have cruise,6 speed automatic trans, power leather seats both sides,AC,the latest navigation and communication system with 8 (maybe more?) speakers, LED interiour lights,120V outlet, two 12 volt outlets, two USB ports, rubber padded floor covering and wall covering, passenger side sliding door, split rear doors (that you can open up without hitting anything on the trailer), class 2 hitch with 4 pin and 7 pin connectors and built in on the dash brake controller. We carry in the van : two inflatable kayaks and pump and life jackets, two sets of golf clubs and push carts and shoes, a whynter 62L 2 compartment ac/dc frig freezer, two bicycles,two shelves for all our clothes and food bins and the T@B tent and under floor and inside pad floor a tub with all the pegs and set up tools, a tool box for set up, a BAL leveling jack, a separate complete mechanics tool set, the spare tire for the T@B and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now.What we wanted was a setup that we would be comfortable taveling for a month or more in and a van like this more than fits the bill. If you want more luxury, look in to the Transit passenger van. It is basically a giant car, no end to the bells and whistles. And I do have to add, I still love F150's, I owned 4 of them, if I could afford one just to toot around with I would have one too. 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have a friend who tows a 35' camper with a huge transit van (huge as in powerful). All the lux's. He has everything so organized, it melts my OCD heart. I think it's a great towing option.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    We tow with a transit. Does great.  I have since dropped the hitch ball 2 inches. Perfectly level. And we get 18 mpg towing or not. 

Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    We are using a 5 inch drop on our transit to get the trailer level. Looks like you have the high roof model, nice rig!
  • Options
    SeaLaVieSeaLaVie Member Posts: 46
    We recently bought this Nissan nv2500 with tow package. It has been a great

2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Would be especially perfect for a full timer!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio