Let’s talk towels

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
We are preparing for a lengthy trip out west in the land of “no humidity”.  We have towels that are a polyester-polyamide combo.  I dislike the feel of the thin, sueded nap (yes, I know, first world problem).  Do those of you out west just stick with a cotton towel knowing that it will dry quickly?  Any towel recommendations?
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2021
    I too will be interested to hear what the mass are using. I have a couple of the Rain Leaf Towels and they are like trying to use fly paper to dry off with. They stick to me wherever I touch my skin. They dry quickly but they are horrible towels other than that and their small size. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    We opted for the thin sueded nap towels and washcloths from IKEA.  The easy storage (clean and dirty) is the main benefit. They will chamois you off rather than dry you like a household towel. They have become part of the camping experience. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have used the Sea to Summit microfiber towels, in the extra plush style. These do not stick to your skin (yeah, I goofed on one order, ordered the thin ones and those two are the dogs’ towels).  

I have them in large and extra large, and either one dries quickly just hanging from a hook outside of the bathroom from a coat hook. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @Verna, thanks for the link.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    We use towels similar to what Verna posted, they dry you off nicely for their smaller size, and dry quickly afterwards.  My daughter sent them out, so not sure where they came from.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    edited July 2021
    I need to consider this, too.  I've just been taking household towels, I haven't had too much problem drying them, but they are bulky. 

@Verna -- I have had good luck with Sea to Summit products.  The towels look great, now to pick a color!
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @PNWtabber, yes, the big fluffy towels take up so much room. I have 6 Sea to Summit towels in the space one of my bath towels take!  I have a nylon tote bag that I store them in, and it fits under the rear bench. 

Also, come to think of it, I’ve had my original two Sea to Summit towels since 2012 when I first heard about them on the LG Teardrop forum. I’d say I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of them!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited July 2021
    It seems we've used the older, suede style towels for over a decade when on the road. They dry quick in any humidity. They always make me feel a kinda' kinship with our vehicles when I use a chamois on them though.  :s

Last month my spouse lost hers, she thinks in Hocking Hills. When we stopped at Cabela's to dump the tanks on the last leg of our trip we went inside and purchased one of the Sea to Summit towels @Verna mentioned. It looks nice. She'll give it a true test soon.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    I love cotton towels, especially old, thirsty ones, and I recently started putting up a 48" pressure mounted curtain rod between the shower wall and the sidewall beside the entry door. With the bit of heat that comes off the fridge, it is a perfect spot for towels to dry overnight and they are out of the way during the nighttime as well.
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Ditto on Sea to Summit. Lightweight, absorbent, dry fairly quick, even in more humid climates. 

Have the thin nap micro's too. S2S are superior. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    I use the same type of towels that I use at home...and they have to be the bath size...have tried some others but always revert back...and 2 beach towels are always packed...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    We use Turkish towels. They roll up small and dry fast.

2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    +1 for microfiber towels. I have received different ones from Amazon. I tried regular towels this summer that match the camper and they dry too slowly and shed.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    And now I am being flooded with towel ads!!!
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We just use normal house towels. If we are in one place we just hang them over the EZ-Up frame to dry, if we are traveling, we hang them over a clothes bar in the back seat of the truck. We take our shower at night, so they are usually dry by in the morning to put away for travel. Also, when traveling, we do laundry every couple of days, so they get washed and dried with the clothes.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Thanks everyone!  We are going to try our Martha Stewart quick dry towels.  They have a great sale going on right now at Macy’s!  These towels actually dried in our former house that did not have A/C, so they should work for camping.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @Sharon_is_SAM - thank you for the heads-up on the sale. 2 bath towels and a hand towel for $16!
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO