Options

Uncomfortable Cushions on 2021 TaBs

Comments

• Options
    CanucktabbyCanucktabby Member Posts: 10
    We also just got told by Nucamp they will not be sending any new cushions as the density would be the same as the ones we currently have. The attitude was very unkind and dismissive they simply don’t care. Very poor after all the money we paid for this trailer. 
  • Options
    Alt_TabAlt_Tab Member Posts: 12
    At the risk of upsetting the Nucamp lovefest, franky I am quite gobsmacked at some of the response here and in other threads where quality issues are raised and people respond that "it is all good and I'll fix it myself". Particularly after spending so much money on a small trailer.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    edited August 2021
    Alt_Tab said:
    At the risk of upsetting the Nucamp lovefest, franky I am quite gobsmacked at some of the response here and in other threads where quality issues are raised and people respond that "it is all good and I'll fix it myself". Particularly after spending so much money on a small trailer.
    It's all relative. Nucamp's quality is still leaps and bounds above other manufacturers, and as for dealing with problems ourselves, sometimes it's just not worth it to go the the manufacturer.  I'd rather spend $80 on some materials and teach myself something new by fixing something than driving 90 minutes each way, spending $50 on gas and a day off work to fix the same problem at my dealer under warranty.  Or sitting on hold or playing phone or email tag with CSRs.  Most of us aren't close enough to a dealer to make warranty runs worthwhile unless it's something major, and even then - the warranty only lasts a year so good to be self-sufficient for any future issues!
  • Options
    ksfrogmanksfrogman Member Posts: 1
    Our brand new 2021 T@B 400 BD has an annoying issue with its dinette cushion on the driver's side.  Whenever I sit on it, the tail end (closest to the rear) of the cushion folds upwards like a teeter-totter.  I will probably have to have a custom-made one fabricated now to eliminate this problem.
  • Options
    Charlie_FYFMCharlie_FYFM Member Posts: 23
    Kiosk said:
    Nucamp replied, they will replace cushions with same cushion,
    foam company still not giving them specifications about foam, which as noted by tom canada above is cheap and below average industry standards. I told them no need to pollute  environment with more inadequate cushions
    they just do not care, and wasted my time, not the fault of women who work in office!

I told them people would pay more quality, at least those who sleep on cushions, they could offer options
    to replace foam on my two large cushions has cost is 264 plus fab glue, small cushions would be the same unless i can find another source as they have min sizes

i do not mind $, i do mind evasiveness and lack of information from nucamps supplier and nucamp not demanding specs which they could do, IF they cared, 
    So if you are buying a new camper ask for adequate cushions or reduction of price to replace, a boat upholstery place would charge prob less than i am paying as they get wholesale stuff but charge professional labor which will take a much shorter amount time than it is going to take me, unskilled labor! (with an admitted bad attitude at this point)

Option 2 remove all cushions a replace  with mattress, option 3 carry around more stuff to put on top of or underneath cushions $33,000 only to use a thermarest ??, insanity) i need room for other adventure toys and of course many cute outdoor shoes!

thanks again everyone and esp to tom canada who solved the mystery, problem!!!

Could you explain a bit more.  Will they still use the same foam and just send you another cushion, or are they saying they will use a better foam with higher density?

• Options
    KioskKiosk Member Posts: 32
    They said same foam, no upgrade
    My new foam just arrived, it will work great!
    As i said i do not mind $260, i have the knowledge, but would have preferred to pay, that is not an option with nucamp
    • yes nucamp is cheaper than airstream
  • Options
    TerenceTerence Member Posts: 8
    @Kiosk thanks for sharing your experience.

Would you mind sharing where you got the new foam from? 

Regards,
    Terence 

• Options
    Sailrite.com american company see tom canada for canadian company info

284f2480 4”x24”x80” firm, $152, also dacron aka batting, 121869 $60, 10 yds, enough to give away, you can get smaller quanities at fabric store, you also need spray adhesive ie 3M 77, go back to page 1 of this discussion from  tom canada, see his construction

this will do the two large cushion and one small back cushion of seating area,  unfortunately if you need both back cushions you need another order or call them and see if they have some scraps aka remnants to sell

existing cushions from nucamp only have dacron one side, i put all sides, cut large cushion which is 31 1/2 to 31 1/4 , bit smaller than orginal 
    good news is existing cover fits over this foam, it looks like it will not,  but does perfectly, probably designed for this type of foam, otherwise why waste fabric??? I have a fair amt of sewing experience, the plot thickens….
    Tip
    when covering cushion fit  bottom corner then next bottom corner, bending foam in middle asneeded, then pull down rest of cover, put your finger under zipper while closing, think fitted bed  sheet, two people makes this easy, tight fitting corners is imp for professional look.
    i will put picts next post apple!🤪
  • Options

Before and after, see wrinkles show extra fabric on nucamp foam, so you will have enough room in  cover

• Options
    ps omit dacron back, you get so much that i put pillow foam and make sandwich with open back, then cut sides so that a side flap piece remains, this keeps back edge flat to fit against wall!
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    I also found the following source for detailed directions as well as supplies:

directions -> https://www.foambymail.com/do-it-yourself-for-seats-and-cushions.html

foam types they sell -> https://www.foambymail.com/foam-types-for-seats-and-cushions.html

I haven't ordered from them but their 2.8 lb/cu. ft. foam looks like it could be a good possibility.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    TerenceTerence Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for the detailed responses! 
  • Options
    Foam i bought is firm 2.8 lbs per cu ft, foam by mail gives great description thanks for link!
  • Options
    Fyi applyingdacron The 3m 77 spray leaves Oder despite being easy to use, still smells after sitting in sun for 3 days so
     better to use water soluble from joann fabrics which takes holding in place 5 min kinda a pain , but no smell
    heading for backcountry… yea!
  • Options
    jduttonjdutton Member Posts: 1
    Although I'm saddened by the quality of the cushions, I am relieved to know that I'm not crazy or too old to appreciate a good night's sleep.  I was hoping to read about the magic  bullet that fixes the problem, but alas as one person suggested "you can't make a rock into a pillow".  The onus is on nucamp to provide quality products, not on the consumer to rework their mistakes.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock | 2016 Honda Pilot | Mooresville NC
  • Options
    jredderjredder Member Posts: 12
    Our 320 delivered in early July without cushions added cushions in early August. We experienced the soft front cushions and contacted our dealer Apache in late August. They contacted NuCamp with a response that this is not an issue they are tracking or have a response to. I recently emailed customer service and awaiting a reply. I admire this community's resilience in self fixing and sharing but do expect more from NuCamp.
    2021 TAB 320S
    2021 Rav4 Prime
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @jredder - we have warranty replacements coming for our 2021 400.
    You're definitely not alone. Our dealer and nuC@mp have been responsive to our update requests so far.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 135
    Alt_Tab said:
    Totally agree!...after spending almost 40 grand on a small 15 foot trailer, I should not have to repair or "learn new skills" to repair something that should have been done in the quality assurance step at NuCamp!
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
     Given the foam shortage nationwide, I feel this particular issue isn't really on nuC@mp, they're playing the cards they have been dealt. I'm hopeful our replacements come from a better supplier.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Just an FYI:  per Princess Craft RV owner PJ, the Texas snowmageddon interfered with urethane production required for foam cushion production.  That probably explains the delivery delays due to the lack of cushion supply as well as the change in foam density.  I assume that nuCamp either used another vendor or the standard vendor substituted the previous foam grade for the softer foam.  Either way, nuCamp will make it right.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    boseliboseli Member Posts: 19
    We just got our cushion replacements for our 2021 T@b 320S and they are wonderful! Night and day difference. We ordered them from the Foam Factory (foambymail.com) and here are the details. We wanted them firm but not too firm, so we ordered the HD 36 rather than the Lux. 
    4" x 23" x 32" HD36 Foam, High Quality with Dacron wrap X two. 4" x 12.5" x 32" HD36 Foam, High Quality with Dacron Wrap X two. Total price was $131 plus tax, free shipping. They came faster than we expected they would. We also got a piece of Masonite board and my husband cut two pieces 17" X 32" to place under the cushions on the driver side when using as a bed. We put one under each dinette seat during the day. I sleep on the passenger side without pulling it out so we only needed one set of Masonite boards. He did cut-outs around the two hinges on one of the boards. He also got a 2" memory foam mattress topper from Mattress Insider for some extra cushion and softness. I may order one as well. 
    A small price to pay to have cushions the way they should be. We have had many RVs over the years and have never had to replace the cushions on a new RV, but it was worth doing it on our T@b and I think we will be very happy over time. We both bottomed out on the cushions prior to replacing them. Now it is like floating rather than sinking. We also notice a difference when we get up; cushion fabric is not all bunched with the new cushions.
    This has been an exceptional couple of years and we are grateful to have such a high quality trailer that was constructed during a very difficult time. I think NuCamp did the best they could under conditions that they couldn't control. They had a hard time getting supplies and I'm sure they were short on staff at times. No RV is perfect and all require some minor (sometimes major) fixes to get it just right. We are very happy with our T@b!
    Linda Kinney
    2021 T@b 320S, TV 2018 Honda Ridgeline
    SW Washington State

• Options
    Cheryl13Cheryl13 Member Posts: 30
    Agree with above, our 2021 400 has crappy cushions as well.  
    A friend is an interior designer so we were able to replace the foam purchased from a reupholstery company with high density foam, cut to fit, wrapped in dacron.  Sailrite is a good source, and there is another US company out of Michigan that sells high quality foam.  Get the heaviest you can afford and it will last for years. We are also going to replace the fabric with a heavy duty sunbrella when I get the time to do the sewing!
    2021 T@B 400
    2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    txbrowntxbrown Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2021
    My 2021 320 CS-S was a July construction and the cushions are garbage. I have been using mine for 3 weeks, as I am working at a 2nd plant and grew tired of the Marriott and was excited to take my new camper out. The seat is so compacted that I have less than 1 inch of thickness. I weigh 180 lbs so this is not acceptable. The seats are so compacted that they curl up on the end. Very disappointing. I’ll be shopping for foam tomorrow. I also had my TV fall out of the wall when i pulled it out the first time. Seems no one had installed the hardware which I found in the package that contained the remote. I expected more from nuCamp for what I paid for the camper.
    2021 320 CS-S Boondock  I   2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    These comments are really giving me pause.  I owned a 2017 320S, and it has been a good quality trailer.  The quality matched the price point.  I am getting ready to upgrade my 320S with a new 2022 400 BD.  The price will be more than twice what I paid for my 320, but will the quality be worse?  I am wondering if I should just pay a bit more and get an Airstream??  I hate to see NuCamp “losing it.”
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @JohnDanielsCPA, count the number of people who have complained. Now, how many units have sold? The number of complaints compared to the number of units sold is actually quite small. It seems that I remember that 1 dissatisfied customer will reach out to 10 others, but 9 satisfied customers will only reach out to 2 or 3. You cannot see the entire picture from this forum as not all satisfied people will speak up because they are busy camping. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mjwaldnermjwaldner Member Posts: 44
    I've also been annoyed by how soft the dinette cushions are in our 2021 Tab 400. I was surprised by how bad they are considering how highly people spoke about the build quality of NuCamp trailers. It sounds like we might have gotten the same set of substandard cushions. It's high on my priority list to replace them. Thanks for the advice on where to go to get replacements.
    2021 400 BD / 2019 Honda Passport Elite / Nashville, TN
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    @Verna, thanks for the reassurance.  I know you have been here for some time and I trust your opinions.  My 2022 400 BD is now on order for a Feb/Mar build date.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    jredderjredder Member Posts: 12
    NuCamp Warranty got back to me in 5 days regarding my issue with the soft cushions in the front section of my 2021 320S. I supplied a pic showing how a 50# bag of concrete appeared on the front cushions compared to the mid cushions. The compression looked to be about 50% more compression on the front albiet the front cushion does not have a solid platform at the bottom like the mid and back cushions. NuCamp indicated they have not confirmed a quality/supply issue with cushions but are willing to replace under warranty.
    Great customer service!  :)
    They are shipping out replacements. I will update this string after my test on the replacement cushions. Thanks to those who have shared their experience.
    2021 TAB 320S
    2021 Rav4 Prime
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Alt_TabAlt_Tab Member Posts: 12
    Just an update on our cushion foam issue.

We received the replacements today and the new cushions are VERY firm and far superior to the ones we received with the trailer in May of this year.

I appreciate Nucamp's efforts for rectifying the situation albeit it involved quite a bit of teeth pulling.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Alt_Tab - that is GREAT news! We are still waiting on replacement dinette cushions we requested in July through our dealer. Do you mind sharing your turnaround time?