Alde heat flow on 2021 320S

Just tested the Alde heating system for the first time to make sure everything works. Seems to, but I had a question about heat flow:  there seems to be only one location with noticeable heat coming out - a slot on the side of the passenger bench. I see other places for air to enter, but this seems to be the only source of hot air coming out....am I missing something?
2021 TAB 320S  Boondock

Comments

• Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    edited September 2021
    I'll be testing the heat in my 320CSS today. I'll let you know what I find. I did take a good look at things when we got it and it appeared as though there were radiators under both benches. I'll post my findings. I suspect the one under the passenger side bench is the first in the glycol circuit so it gets the hottest. My Alde manual shows that the radiators are meant to be positioned on either side of the trailer so the cooler air drops to be reheated. I am wondering how this works with the bed made. But that's why I'm testing.
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 131
    There is three radiators, one on the passenger side, one at the back of the trailer and one in the bathroom...as i recall.
    Brent
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 32
    I didn't see anything like a radiator....are they under the floor? Send a  picture if you have one
    2021 TAB 320S  Boondock
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jcrystal, the passenger side is enclosed the wooden box under the bench. The driver’s side are the aluminum tubes that are visible under the bench. The rear radiator fins are not visible to you. You do need to keep bedding, etc. away from the rear board just above the hinged cubby storage box under the cabinet. Also, keep your cellular phones and tablets away from the top of that board because anything lost back there will require dismantling the hinged cubby storage box.The cool air is drawn in at floor level and the warmed air exits behind that board.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    In this thread there is a picture of the "Alde convector" from a 2015.  Kind of looks like a car radiator or an air conditioner radiator.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    edited September 2021
    So I got into my 320CSS and traced everything...see below.

Heating circuit:
    Drivers side convector:

Passenger side convector (boxed in with wood):

Rear convector (boxed in by wood):
    Bathroom convector:

I tested my heat last night. All of the convectors were producing heat rather equally. No issues other than an incorrect temp reading on the Alde panel. It was reading 5 degrees warmer than my other thermometers. I learned this reading can be adjusted using the "offset" function in the menu.
  • jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 32
    Verna said:
    @jcrystal, the passenger side is enclosed the wooden box under the bench. The driver’s side are the aluminum tubes that are visible under the bench. The rear radiator fins are not visible to you. You do need to keep bedding, etc. away from the rear board just above the hinged cubby storage box under the cabinet. Also, keep your cellular phones and tablets away from the top of that board because anything lost back there will require dismantling the hinged cubby storage box.The cool air is drawn in at floor level and the warmed air exits behind that board.
    Thanks for this, that answers my question
    2021 TAB 320S  Boondock
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Da_Birds, it’s always strange how the same year models have different components. My driver’s side convectors do not have fins like the rear one, as it is two aluminum tubes about 2” from each other. It puts out heat and I don’t store anything in that bench, so it can’t hurt anything. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    edited September 2021
    Verna said:
    @Da_Birds, it’s always strange how the same year models have different components. My driver’s side convectors do not have fins like the rear one, as it is two aluminum tubes about 2” from each other. It puts out heat and I don’t store anything in that bench, so it can’t hurt anything. 

It could be a difference between the 320S and the 320CSS? But it does get confusing with all of the differences between years, models etc.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Wow!  I knew the 400s had heat, but the new 320s have convectors in the bathroom, too!  Our 2017 CSS only has fine under the passenger side bench and in the rear.  Still plenty of heat!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    When you say new 320s have convectors in the bathroom. Do you mean the 2021 also? If so this is the first I've heard of it
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
    edited September 2021
    I want to check my glycol level after running the heat all night during my test so while I'm in there checking that I'll get a picture of the bathroom convector. Maybe it's something new because of the cassette toilet. Could be they felt they needed a little more heat because the cassette compartment provided less insulation than older models with blank tanks.
    Here's a picture of the bathroom convector in our CSS:

I've also added it to my post with the other pictures (above).
    Wonder how much more glycol is needed for those extra runs?
  • dpderdpder Member Posts: 2
    Would someone tell me where the glycol reservoir is in my Tab-320 cs-s 2021.
    I have looked everywhere .
    Thanks
  • Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 191
    Our Tab 320S Boondock (mfg. Jan. 2021) heat works, however the Passive Convection proved completely inadequate on a six week 'shakedown' trip out West. 
    This proved true on 120v 2000 watt higher setting, 1000 watt setting on generator, and later on 2000 watt propane. 

Once the bed is made up our many blankets and foam pad effectively create a Thermos covering the seating; setting thermostat to max 85F toasts the undercarriage and left us at 37 to 56 F topside in 30's and 40's nights.  

We kept cranking the ceiling vent further closed but did leave it slightly cracked so as not to suffocate on exhaled CO2.  We noticed that over the course of a night your rate of breathing while asleep increases noticeably, without strong ventilation.

Equally concerning, the digital Alde interface (above the silly television) would read 15 to 30F warmer than two regular thermometers- so where is it measuring?
    Call to Nucamp Customer Experience could not elicit any documentation of *where* the thermostat is measuring.  So the Alde keep cycling off when we needed  it to stay on.  Of course the internal glycol pump can be selected to continuous Cycle rather than cycling on and off.

Frankly we'd be better off running a cheap 1200 watt Disc Heater in the open space on 120v than this system.

Our next modification will be to hole saw some 3" dia ventilation holes between all connecting below-bed cabinets and wire up a 12v. 6" vent far to get some air moving INTO the cabin above the bed.   Have to look into which circuit is best to draw on. 
    Anyone else done this?

We also looked far and wide for the glycol tank which Alde downloads caution to check.  Not to be found.... until you unscrew the pvc sheet vertical cover fronting the false toilet tank!  Good lord- why is there no documentation of what we've all purchased?

T&B 320S Boondock (mfg. Jan. 2021)/ Tacoma 4 cylinder truck in (sigh) low gears.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited November 2021
    There is an entire discussion indicating the location of the Alde reservoir/expansion tank for each model/year.  Yes, it should be in the TaB2021/2022 manual.  Your dealer should have also showed you where this was.  You do not need to remove the far side screw, just loosen it and the panel slips out.  

As for the thermostat, it reads the temp at the control panel display location, and they often do not match a thermometer placed inside the TaB cabin.  However, in the Alde manual it shows you how to adjust the display reading to match the inside thermometer.  

As for not getting enough heat into the cabin, I can only say, ours in the 400 will run you out off the trailer if you crank it up to a high temp setting.  That said, it takes a while to heat up the cabin from a low temp.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    @Maxcamp8 - will opening the rear shelf allow heat to come into the cabin?  Some have suggested using a fan under the bed to help circulate the warm air.  Having the ceiling vent and the front window cracked will allow better circulation of air without letting cold air blow on the Alde control (thermostat).
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    Following some of these threads on later model T@b's is making me love my older/simpler 2015, even with the corrosion and body not centered on the frame issues.  In rebuilding the back bench area I built a center support beam that works as an air duct.  A small 3" - 3 speed computer fan pulls air off the floor through the beam and then spreads it out to rise up through the rear convectors.  It is working great to kick start the heating process and can be turned down or off for overnight sleeping as the convection process is well established.  That center duct/beam also means I can pack the passenger side storage with whatever and not worry that I've blocked my convection or fan-forced air flow.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited November 2021
    In earlier forum days, installing vents in the rear shelf  to facilitate heat flow was a popular mod. Some--like these examples from woodworker @Verna --were artistic as well as functional.

However, this project became more challenging after nuCamp extended the upper cabinets and added the little vestigial storage cubbies under the deck. I'm not sure if those changes left much room to add any substantive venting. I'm guessing not, since nobody has discussed this mod in quite some time. You might still be able to accomplish this by removing or reducing the cubbie assembly. 
    2015 T@B S
    I believe the thermometer for the Alde is in the control panel. This is based off of what I read in the manual about the optional room sensor ("If Auto is select the sensor in the panel is active....).
    I suggest starting by adjusting the "Offset" (temperature adjustment) setting. My Alde reading was off by several degrees, keeping my heat from coming on at the desired temp. If you had the Alde set at 85 and the sensor was 30 degrees off, the Alde could have been reading 86 while the cabin temp was actually 56.
    You may also want to try keeping the bathroom door open as I noticed heat would get trapped in there. Being radiant heat, it can take awhile to get the cabin up to temp, especially in cold temps. I've read where some will use another heat source to get the cabin warmed quickly, then let the Adle handle maintaining the desired temp. You can also use both electric and propane to heat the glycol faster as it will be heated by both sources.
  • MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 342
    Yes. The Alde thermometer is behind the display screen. Alde/Truman sells a remote temperature sensor, we 'fixed' our problems other ways. Increasing air flow will reduce the 'offset'.

We have an older CS-S and not the S, but our radiators are in the same locations: one across the back and the other on the passenger side and none in the bath. In the CS, when the bed is made, both are covered by the 'mattress'. I made a spacer to keep the vent for the aft radiator uncovered. You need to make sure you have airflow behind your cabinets. More is better. The side radiator has open inspection areas inside the under seat space on the passenger side. Our trailer, a 2018, has door on the end of the cabinet which we leave open to increase the airflow. Ours works great now. I don't think you have the door. You may consider a small desk fan to set on the floor just under the bed to bring the air from in front of the trailer and push it under the bed to be heated. You only need enough airflow to move the air, lower fan settings are better. NuCamp was kind enough to place a plug under there too.

If I were to install a computer fan, I think I would choose the end of the under seat cabinet to draw the air out from under the bed through the compartment and push it into the cabin. Just a thought. The back radiator will work nicely if the venting is clear. The side one needs some help.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited November 2021
    Good idea with the fan, I use a small USB powered fan that works great at circulating the air.  It is small and quiet.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 191
    Thanks all for the great info.  We will experiment with ventilation but also are going ahead with 3" hole sawn openings and a computer fan.  The thermostat programmable 'offset' correction is only ten degrees, it is off by over thirty.  I placed two thermometers right next to it.  Will talk with NuCamp about a fix.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    With our 2021 320-S we calibrated the inside temp to be better but the difference does vary a lot. I suspect it is as discussed very dependent on air flow patterns. Even going in and out when close to 32 the air is probably greatly disturbed within the small trailer. We sleep with only 1/2 of each bed pulled out to facilitate both getting up and down without waking the other. This may allow better heating at night. When cold out we set sleep temp at 60 and day (in the trailer) at 68 and it works great.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    We’re pretty much right with @MarkAl.  Twin bed setup with room in the middle and thermostat at 60 or so. The heat flow seems pretty good in our 2021 320 S boondock. 

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho