Options

Removal of cabinets over bed in T@b 320

Has anyone removed row of cabinets over the bed ? We have 2018 T@b 320s. Have hit head getting up . We like feet by kitchen and will be doing twin bed mod soon,so willing to remove cabinets and maybe put in nets to hold things . Would love to see pictures and would welcome any hints !

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @Ellenandjames,  We had the same experience - head banging - and the cabinets are so small as to be almost useless.  Removed the cabinets in '06. . .
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    There was also a recent post on one of the T@B FB groups (can’t remember which) where they removed the cabinets but left the end pieces with the speakers and lights in place on a newer T@B - I think a 2020 because it had the dark stain. Looked good.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    Can I hijack to ask if anyone has removed the lower shelf/storage compartment at the back? Our thought is sleeping side-to-side and leaving the backrest permanently in the down position. The bedding would stay in place, but not include the two side bench seats. Those side seats would still be used for table seating. By removing that back storage compartment it would widen that sleeping width from the current 40" to about 48" or a little short of a full size mattress.  

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    edited March 2021
    You may want to check with nuCamp to see if the rear cross shelf is required for support of the framing.
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Thanks, Sharon.  I talk with my dealer once in a while about the strange things folks do to these trailers.  He chuckled and stated “ did anyone consider those were structural?” Also added it helps them sell more trailers after people destroy professional NiCamp engineering with backyard.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    edited March 2021
    You may want to check with nuCamp to see if the rear cross shelf is required for support of the framing.
    Hadn't thought of that, but I will shoot nuCamp an email. Although, I seriously doubt there would be a problem. The 400's have the bed all the way in the back without that shelf/storage or anything offering structural support.

I purchased an additional table mount and attached it on the side so that the support bar doesn't obstruct access to the bed. Also, now it can be raised and swung around for additional kitchen counter space.

Suppose I just destroyed the nuCamp professional engineering with my backyard modifications.
    :s
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    AnOldUR said:
    Suppose I just destroyed the nuCamp professional engineering with my backyard modification.
    :s
    I doubt it. More likely nuCamp will incorporate your mod into the next model run.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    I'm not familiar with the back end of a 400 but I just pulled the guts out of the back of my 2015 320S.  In my 320 what's below the shelf I think you are speaking of (where the kleenex boxes are) you'll find two long convectors for the backend part of the heating system.  They are attached to the back side of what I would call the headboard. They might be low enough that you could cut the headboard down or there might be room to lower the convectors.  You would need to provide room for the warm air to rise off those convectors and
    circulate into the cabin.
    (in this pic the headboard I speak of has been moved from its vertical position and is laying down forward with the convectors attached to what is the lower end of the headboard piece.)

DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    On the 400 the bed goes all the way to the back, the Alde nesting convectors are undear the rear bunk at the rear wall u dear the Star Gazer window.  There is a small gab at the back between the bunk and the back wall for the heat to come up along the back.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ShunyunShunyun Member Posts: 10
    So... Instead of removing the cabinets,why can't you just move them up about 6 inches? 
    The other night I was lying there in my bed, looking up at the stars, and thought "Hey, wait a sec, where the heck's the ceiling!?!"
  • Options
    My deepest condolences to anyone who was shocked or offended at the horrible  post of mine above which had nothing to do with the topic in this thread.  I swear I was posting on a thread about extending the bed of a 320 back over the rear shelf.  I promise to never ever post again, for as long as I own a T@b, so help me...administrator. 
  • Options
    @fstop32 - no worries.  We aren’t so serious here that we can’t wander a little.  Thought that picture looked familiar😂
  • Options
    We aren’t so serious here that we can’t wander a little.
     Not all those who wander are lost. 
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    edited April 2021

@fstop32 ... It’s all related, but you may find something of value to you over on:
    I’d like to see where you go with what you have started.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    I think the side-to-side thread was what I thought I was posting to... someone had a question about extending their bunk back further.