Options

Alternatives to cloth covers and garages?

PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
edited October 2021 in Products and Accessories
My used T@B (purchased Sept 2020) came with a PahaQue cover that was mildewed and shed powdery stuff, but at least was intact -- until this summer when it ripped as I took it off the trailer.  I am debating my options.

I store my trailer next to my house, on an extension of the asphalt driveway.  I don't have enough room to build a garage for the trailer due to the property line, and I'm not certain how I would anchor one of those metal or cloth covered carports.  I've looked at a number of discussions on the forum, seems like the PahaQue cloth covers only last about 3 years and some people seem to think having a no-touch cover, like a carport, is actually better for the trailer--but I have space issues.  Also, the T@B will not fit in my garage.

I live near Seattle, so weather is temperate, although we do get a couple of snowstorms most winters (only a few inches) and summer temps rarely get into the 90s (except for our crazy heat dome this summer that hit 107).  Is a cover actually necessary?  Any creative minds come up with a unique way to cover their trailer when not using it?  Other suggestions welcome!

Edited to add a photo for clarity.  Please excuse the garbage cans!

2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    If you park it right next to your house is there any way that you could put up a shade sail that uses anchor points on the wall of your house?

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @Marceline -- I've wondered about that and how to anchor it without damaging the house if there were a windstorm. 

• Options
    SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    I went with a low tech solution. I use a sized tarp. Bungie cords to the front and sides of the Tab, and in back I have 2 bungie cords stretched to some rods I stuck in the ground. I ordered a custom sized plastic tarp from an on-line tarp store, 15' x8' I think. It's narrow enough width that I can still open the door or crack the windows. And because it doesn't totally enclose the tab it's not trapping moisture. I have a dehumidifier as well. The tarp may only last a couple of years but they're cheap enough that you just buy another. To put it on, my wife and I hold up 2 corners with a couple of broomsticks with nails in the end, in the grommets. Then we just walk it over the tab and lash it down. I can take it off or put in on in 5 minutes. 
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356

This worked out great for several years.  www.shelterlogic.com.  Survived many Phoenix dust storms.  I simply secured the post brackets to some MDF board and put 6 concrete pavers on each board.  Was rock solid.  I think I had to buy an extra post because of the height of the Outback.  Cut it down so as to add about 6" to each factory post.  The side sun screen is from Home Depot.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    @Tabaz , I really like what you did here.  

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    @BrianZ -- I love your shelter.  I'm wondering how I would anchor it to asphalt.  Also wondering if I would have trouble parking the T@B without knocking down the shelter.

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2021
    It's not mine, @PNWtabber.  He's got a bunch more..
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdKCLh2lKFl_dNBNaLTnWw/videos
    Agree;  I would have made it wider, and longer too.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Tabaz said:

This worked out great for several years.  www.shelterlogic.com.  Survived many Phoenix dust storms.  I simply secured the post brackets to some MDF board and put 6 concrete pavers on each board.  Was rock solid.  I think I had to buy an extra post because of the height of the Outback.  Cut it down so as to add about 6" to each factory post.  The side sun screen is from Home Depot.
    @Tabaz . Can you post the link to this model canopy shown?  Going to ShelterLogic site, I was unable to find this model.  Thanks.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny - here you go:
    https://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/monarc-canopy
    I noticed there are now two models of the Monac canopy.  Not sure if that was the case when I bought mine years ago.  Also, I recall first buying a cheapie Harbor Freight canopy that looked like a Red Cross med evac tent used by the United Nations.  Very ugly for residential use.  The pole sizes were identical.  I probably used one of the HF poles for the 6" extensions and painted them black to match the Monarc.

• Options
    Denny - here is the HF model I bought prior to finding the Monarc.  Pole sizes the same.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-20-ft-portable-car-canopy-63054.html

• Options
    More clues!
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6782/diy-sun-canopy-for-outback#latest
    This was a prototype canopy I was making for being in situ at a campsite.  All the parts were from the Monarc except for the white pole section from the HF canopy.  Hope this helps.

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Thanks
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    I built a shade cage as I call it.  I used 2 inch pvc, 10 ft sections and went online to fine corner connectors cheap.  So I built a box frame and then I reinforced the corners, and hold it down by long screws into the ground.  I put sandbags on it too, at least for hurricane season.  I then strung a sunshade on it, bought from amazon and it allows us to keep the cover off of it, to breathe, but protects from the harmful sun and heat.  If you look up shade cage, you might find my post.  It is not the prettiest, but it works, and I could not find anything to buy off the shelf that would allow us to back it in, and access it from all sides.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    edited October 2021
    For a few years I used a Harbor Freight/Shelter Logic portable garage.  I had to put it up on concrete blocks for enough clearance and added some diagonal braces to strengthen the structure .  The blocks also held it down in severe weather.
    At the time, it was less than half the cost of a PaHaQue cover.

Have fun!!!