Will NuCamp Install a Victron Smart Shunt During the Build?

or does it have to be installed by my dealer?

Thanks

Comments

• manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I’m sure the dealer could install it. It’s a fairly easy install and doesn’t need to be done during the build. Definitely something you’ll want though. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @TabbyShack - nuCamp will install it post production off the line.  When the factory completes the TaB, they move it to another building where the additional add ons and modifications are installed.  Having said that, things change, so ask your ordering dealer to check.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited November 2021
    Thanks!! I would rather have NuCamp install it, so I will definitely look into that.  Hum...I wonder if there are any other add ons they frequently do that I might also want! Do you know the kind of things they are installing like this? 
    A MaxxAir  fan is popular.  A solar port can be added for portable solar (I can’t remember if the 2022 models have one or not).  You may be able to ask for a second propane tank holder, but you may not need it either.  The Victron BMS is good to have - we had this installed with our build back in 2017.
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I'd second @Sharon_is_SAM on the MaxxAir fan. Some people don't mind the Fantastic fan that comes with the trailer but going to the MaxxAir is night and day. Way quieter and uses less energy. 

If this is your first RV I'd honestly do a wait-and-see approach on most items since all can be installed post-construction (and even Nucamp-installed accessories are done after the construction anyway). BUT, the battery monitor is a must and really should just come with the trailer. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    We had the MaxxAir fan installed at the factory, so I third the change.  It comes with a “remote” that controls the speed etc.  We are very happy with it.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
    @Tabbyshack - you need to specify which model MaxxAir.  The black fan with the remote is the 07500K; the white with the remote is 0700K.  Also, there was a discussion about the remote signal causes some constant battery draw.  Not sure if that was the remote batteries or the TaB battery.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    @Tabbyshack - you need to specify which model MaxxAir.  The black fan with the remote is the 07500K; the white with the remote is 0700K.  Also, there was a discussion about the remote signal causes some constant battery draw.  Not sure if that was the remote batteries or the TaB battery.
    Anything with a remote has a certain amount of parasitic draw on the trailer battery, because it’s always “listening” for the remote. Because my Tab was already on the dealer’s lot when I bought, I had them install the MaxxAir without the remote…gave up the convenience factor in favor of a smidgen longer battery life.

Any MaxxAir model is an improvement over the stock fan, though!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Thanks for confirming @VictoriaP.  We always remember to remove our batteries from the remote when we store the TaB.  If the battery switch is off, though, I guess that would eliminate the draw.  
  • MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 342
    The battery in the remote isn't the problem with trailer battery draw. The problem is the radio receiver that is always on in the fan. The fan's receiver will be powered anytime the trailer has power. It should be a small amount, but several small amounts add up.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
    Thanks @Mickerly.  So the culprit is the fan radio receiver - nothing to do with the remote.  So, add that to the list for parasitic drain.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited November 2021
    I find this standby power draw to be very small with the Fanastic Fan Power Remote upgrade (makes it basically the same as a MaxAir minus the top vent cover) and as mentioned, turning off the battery switch eliminates the draw while the trailer is not being used.  During camping, solar charging more than compensates for all the small parasitic power draw on the TaB400 BoonDock.  

Pulling the battery on the remote during winter storage is a good idea, to prevent battery leaks from damaging the remote.  I also plan to get a second remote as a backup.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    edited November 2021
    This will be my third T@B, so I'm all in for switching out the fan if you guys say its better and it seems to be.  Yes, the battery monitor is a MUST have. I've installed the Victron BMV-712 in my first two T@Bs.  I just learned about the smart shunt, so that's what I will be getting in the 2022. I'm tired of DIY projects though at this point, so I'm going to get the factory to do it this time.

I believe the 22's come with the solar port installed now.  
  • My dealer just confirmed that NuCamp has suspended all custom work during the transition to their giant new building where they do the custom work, AND because of the backlog in completing orders.
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited November 2021
    My dealer just confirmed that NuCamp has suspended all custom work during the transition to their giant new building where they do the custom work, AND because of the backlog in completing orders.
    If it's any consolation, it's very easy to install a SmartShunt. That's actually why I got my hands on one as soon as they became available.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Further (small) consolation: the dealer installed my MaxxFan prior to pickup. Did an excellent job, no regrets, 10/10 would do again.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @TabbyShack - thanks for the heads up.  Looks like the dealers are going to be busy!
    edited November 2021
    I've installed two BMV-712 battery monitors easily before (scariest part was making the hole!) And looks like the smart shunt is even easier,  but I'm kinda worn out on DIY projects for the rest of my life. I think i will just be lazy and have dealer do it.   On second thought though,  I know for sure I will install it correctly! Haha
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    I had the smart shut installed by NuCamp at the factory prior to taking delivery of our 2021 400.  However they installed it wrong so with the help of this forum I figured out how to re-install it myself.  Yes if you do it yourself you'll know it was done correct.  I do have to say when I contacted NuCamp and advised them of how incorrectly it was done they apologized and did refund me the cost of the installation, no questions asked.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited November 2021
    Regarding the additional parasitic draw with the ceiling fan that uses a remote. The draw on a Fantastic Fan with the remote conversion is .03 Amps, so I wouldn't be to concerned about "the additional draw".

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC