Yellow fluid from Alde heating system coming through fresh (hot) water lines

FINALLY dewinterizing this year.  I used the blowout method vs. antifreeze to winterize.  Now that I am dewinterizing and filling the tank, yellow fluid is coming out the hot water lines.  Any ideas on what I messed up to cause this and how to fix?

Comments

• HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    I can't see how using the blow out method would damage the Alde heat exchanger, unless you pressurized the system above 50 psi.  

Are you losing Alde fluid at the reservoir?  If so, you likely need a new Alde unit, unless they sell just the heat exchanger.  I would take it to a dealer familiar with Aldes.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • ESHESH Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the quick response.  I was very careful to not go above 40 psi when using the blow out method.  I have been losing fluid at the reservoir, but that pre-dated this issue and I believe is due to the mixing valve getting stuck.  Any other ideas?
    One test I can think of is to hook up city water with a pressure regulator and see if the Alde fluid level increases in the reservoir.  That would indicate a breach in the heat exchanger.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
    Good idea.  Just tried it.  No change.  Mystified.
    Are you sure the fluid from the tap is Alde fluid?  Another test would be to drain the hot water tank, then put a bowl under the drain and run the Alde to see if any Alde fluid drains out of the hot water tank drain.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
    Will give that a try.  Same fluid for sure (same color, viscosity, smell).
    Hey Rich.  Drained the hot water tank and refilled the glycol.  Only water draining out of the tank currently.  Only thing I can think of is that there is a small leak in the Alde tank that is allowing for cross contamination.
    The only place they are in close proximity to each other is in the Alde heat exchanger.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    At least one (maybe a couple) forum members have reported a failure in the Alde Heat Exchanger that resulted in glycol entering the domestic (hot) water system (lines).

They were Alde production weld failures or damage caused by incomplete wintherization.

IMHO you should have the system checked by a qualified Alde dealer . . . your out-of-pocket will depend on the trailer age and warranty status.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • subkronsubkron Member Posts: 143
    I think I have the same issue. We were camping this past weekend and noticed that when I used the outside shower (to fill a dishpan) via the hot valve it initially had a yellow/brown tint to the water then cleared up. The photo below is after the unit sat overnight. This was only our 3rd trip out so I will need to get it to a dealer.

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @subkron - how is the level in your glycol reservoir?  Others noticed that it would drop when they turned on the water and pump.  If it cleared up, I would wonder if their was old water sitting in your shower line.  Have you seen it with any other faucets?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Wouldn't a 2022 have the bluish Rohmer fluid? That looks more like sediment/crud from the lines rather than glycol.
    2015 T@B S
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I agree with Scott, that is not glycol, but bad, dirty water from the line.  I always flush out the water lines before heading out on a trip.  That way, not surprises.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    @Denny16 - I always flush the lines before starting a trip and for this one then filled the fresh water before leaving since I was boondocking.
    @Sharon_is_SAM - I only noticed it the outside shower since the water was going into that white dishpan. My glycol reservoir seems normal, if it is a small leak (since it clears quickly) it probably is not noticeable at the reservoir.

I tried a test. Last night I flushed the lines by setting the nautilus to city water, put the water in, opened the hot and cold drain lines, run water through and then closed the drains. I let the system fill/pressurize and then using outside shower nozzle discharged both hot and cold into a pan, nice and clear. I then let the system pressurize again, and then shut off the incoming water at the nautilus input (I have a  valve at the end of the hose). I then let the system sit overnight pressurized.  When I tried the hot water via the outside shower this morning I get the same result as I mentioned, the small amount yellow tint before it becomes clear.

Any ideas on what else to try before I give a dealer a call?
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
    What glycol is in the reservoir - Century or Rhomar?
    Don't know, it was built in Nov 2021.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
    What color is it?
    I'm not at the trailer, but I don't think it is the yellow color in my pic  Does the glycol change color if mixed with water? I also find it odd that it comes out only initially discolored, then clear. Whatever it is is not really mixing.  I'm going to perform a few more flushes this afternoon and see if I can get to the bottom of this.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
    Whilst flushing the trailer’s internal lines, it is easy to overlook the outside shower lines, which are a separate run off the inside shower, and water can get trapped there.  But since it came back after flushing the line, this is a mystery.
     Cheers 
  • PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    Unless you’re filtering your water, campground water isn’t necessarily clean. Did you ever look inside your toilet tank at your toilet at home? There’s almost always discoloration in there. The water we drink be it from a well or city water isn’t as clean as we would like. If your water source has iron in it there’s even more discoloration.
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
    @subkron - assuming you purchased your 2022 new, it should have the bluish-greenish Rhomar glycol.
    @Sharon_is_SAM. Yes, purchased new in feb-2022.
    @Pintoplumber. The water comes from ort whole house water purification system so this is not city or well. There is no way that crap made it thru that multistage system.

After I had filled from a prior trip I blew out the water house with my air compressor. I have a filter on it but I fear it is not that effective. I'm thinking I may have contaminated the hose and the subsequent fill transferred some contaminants to the system. Not confirmed, but after a half dozen flushes of the system it has cleared. I had to put the trailer back in storage (HOA, need I say more?) so no more data for now.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2022
    @subkron, glad you figured it out.  I know air compressors will condense humid air inside the tank & cause rust.  Ours has a srew type release valve under the bottom of the tank for blowing out water condensation after use.  It usually has some rusty looking drips since I often neglect to open it after use.  Can't say that I've ever seen it blow out anything rusty looking, but ours is a big tank & air hoses are at the top.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    Most large compressors have a moisture filter on the air output side, to remove the moisture that forms in the tank, so you do not see it in the air stream.  
    Cheers