Options

Rhomar Glycol Confusion

Is there a reason that our nuCamp dealership sells Rhomar fluid for $30 a gallon, but Truma charges $76? Is nuCamp selling it to the dealers at a discount?
What's with the product name? It's referred to as Rhomar in these circles, but it's labeled as Alde Antifreeze with no mention of Rhomar.
A Google search of Rhomar and the Rhomar website finds glycol products, but not the Alde Antifreeze. Possible Rhomar is the manufacturer, but Alde the distributor? No mention of that on the label.

Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited October 2022
    My understanding is that the Alde-branded stuff is relabeled Rhomar RhoGard 'Ready to Use' 50% mix (Rhomar RG-RTU-50).
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2022
    Yes, that is my understanding also.  If you go back to Jan/Feb 2021, posts when the switch was first made, you will see the Rhomar labeled bottles, before Alde/Truma go their own labeled jugs.  Glad to know nüCamp is giving us all a discount on the new fluid.  

The flush out and replacement to the new fluid is a three hour process, per our local dealer technician, so the flush and refill is around $400 to $500.  But subsequent drain and refill will be a lost less, as the big flush out to get rid of the old Century fluid is not needed, when replacing old Rhomar with new Rhomar.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,301
    @techietab & @Denny16 I saw the RhoGard product that fit the usage description, but with no other reference, I wasn't sure. I would have thought that Rhomar would want some manufacture identification on the label.
    In gathering information, I contacted a Airstream dealer. They estimated four hours labor for the flush/exchange and had the high glycol cost. It's curious that my nuCamp dealer charges $285 total for both glycol and labor.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Three hours was what our local nüCamp dealer said the change over takes, and they are charging around $350 for glycol and labor, sounds like you got a good deal, unless they didn’t do the water flush out after draining the old Century glycol, before the Rhomar fluid was added.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    We had our 2019 flushed and replaced with the Rhomar at the only service centre on Vancouver Island in early March/2022.  It took 3 hours and the bill came in Cdn$ 1,000. (labour, taxes and materials, about $75 per gallon.)  Before you faint, remember that $500 U.S. is $650 Can.;  for $350 that is a great deal!!! I wouldn't try doing this job myself.  As of this month we also have a new NuCamp authorized dealer in south end of island (Travel Land, Duncan) and they are claiming they will be totally up to speed in service and parts.  The Alde has performed marvellously with the new fluid ( no boiling or fluid loss) so from that perspective very satisfied with the switch.  
    Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 347
    Does the rhomar deteriorate in the original container over time? Any issues with using the balance of my "bucket" after its sat for 2 years? Already planning on the next change next year...
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    No, sealed in its original container, the Rhomar fluid should be fine to use two years down the road.  It is when the fluid is in contact with metal (aluminum and stainless in the Alde) that it’s effectiveness deteriorates with time and exposure in the Alde system.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    GkopanGkopan Member Posts: 13
    Would my new-to-me 2021 400 have originally had the Century or the Rhomar?
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock; TV: working on it!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    The "Rhomar" change happened in Dec of 2020.  The key thing to know in this case would be your "build date".  On the trailer tongue, driver's side, there is a gray sticker with a "Month/Year" listed in the upper right corner.  That "build date" will be what you need to know to figure out when your trailer was actually made.  Which may be different from the "model year". Sticker looks like this:
    Here is the NuCamp announcement of the change with specific dates.  They will also help if you contact them and provide the VIN number.  If you can see any glycol in your expansion tank, the new stuff has a "blue" appearance.  The old stuff has a "yellow-green" appearance.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi