Options

T@B dealer or general RV service for winterizing?

I'm getting ready to have our 2021 T@B 400 BD winterized and I'd like comments on whether that should be done by a NuCamp dealer or if any RV service shop could do the work. This is just a matter of convenience - our NuCamp dealer (where we bought the trailer) is about 90 minutes away, but there are several RV service shops in our town. I doubt the RV shops have seen a T@B before, but I don't know how important that is. This is our first year so I'm also feeling a bit cautious about this. Finally, I'm concerned about creating warranty issues if a non-authorized shop works on the trailer. Any thoughts? 
Bubbles - 2022 T@B 400 Boondock
Tug - 2021 F-150 4x4 Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    I think that it is better to deal with a shop that has direct access to nuCamp (your dealer).  You should ask them if their tech has been trained by nuCamp.  That will increase the chance of work being done to spec.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,218
    Knowledge in how the Nautilus manifold works is a must I think. Once you know what each lever does any competent RV tech should be able to winterize the system. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,031
    I would just learn do it yourself.  It is super easy to do and will save you a lot of time and money.  There is a lot of information on this forum about winterizing. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    edited November 2022
    @DMattern - many new owners are hesitant to winterize their TaBs for the first time.  Understandably, if you have never dealt with an RV, it can be intimidating.  Regarding your warranty question, I don’t think your warranty concerns itself with having routine work done by a non-nuCamp authorized dealer.  NuCamp has been known to work with owners to get work done locally.  Indeed, I believe there have been owners who live far away from a TaB dealer and nuCamp has been able to accommodate their warranty work at a non-TaB shop or via DIY.  All you have to do is ask.  Having said this, I think most members will encourage you to learn how to do basic maintenance like winterizing.  The Nautilus system has certainly simplified the process and there is now a video as well as a written instruction by nuCamp.  When you are ready to undertake this task, you will have forum support.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DanaDana Member Posts: 47
    If I did it, anybody can do it.    ;)
  • Options
    DMatternDMattern Member Posts: 22
    I want to thank everyone for their input. Yesterday I followed the instructions in the manuals and got it winterized without any problems. The fresh water tank was full so that took a LONG time to drain, and some of valve references are very clear, but I agree is really is pretty easy. Thanks!
  • Options
    DMatternDMattern Member Posts: 22
    I meant to say "valve references aren't very clear..."
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @DMattern One thing I did in the first few months of ownership was label every single valve on my 320 with directional arrows to indicate summer and winter positions. I thank my past self every spring and fall for doing so, it makes things so much easier when dealing with tasks you only rarely have to do.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited November 2022
    A Grand idea Victoria, our 2018 TaB400 has labeled valves also.  Makes it so much easier and quicker to do.  That said, since we live in a coast zone, about one city block from the ocean, we rarely get a hard freeze, and then only at night.  So I just drain everything and blow out the water lines.  

If a freeze is forecast, I will open the black and gray tank drains with. bucket under the drain pipe, to keep the valve from cracking.  If we had a freeze more often, I would put antifreeze into the holding tanks to get the pink stuff into the drain pipe and valves.  Since we run a small space heater for humidity control, not worried about inside plumbing freezing.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,303
    @DMattern - many new owners are hesitant to winterize their TaBs for the first time. 
    We bought our T@B used from an Airstream dealer and it came winterized. The walk through was not bad considering it was not their product, but when it came time to de-winterizing the first time we took it to Miller in PA. We scheduled a second walk through along with the de-winterizing. While explaining the systems they wrote on the floor with Sharpie what all the valves did. Yes, I have referenced that.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler