Options

Attaching some metal for a magnetic antenna (only while camping)

While I discovered that the trick of using a length of coax cable up the side of the camper made a workable antenna for the TV, I went ahead and bought a small HDAntenna with a magnetic base.

Now, I know the Azdel sides and top are non-ferrous and the magnet won't "hold" to it, so I'm thinking of getting a small piece of sheet metal, cutting a disk or square out of it and rolling the edges over, and using double-stick tape to attach it to the roof.  I'd put it somewhere low enough I can reach it on tip-toes (or maybe standing on the wheel) and then when we get set up at a campsite, put the antenna on it (removing it when we move the camper.)

Is this something that could potentially cause problems with the Axdel or damage the roof?  The other concern of course, would be if the double-stick tape would hold while driving, obviously I don't want to cause problems for other people on the road...
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Use the 3m tape that’s typically used for car moldings & trim. VHB, I think it’s called? It’s often used to attach flexible solar panels as well.

On the recommendation of others here, I’ve had some on my Tab for several years now, as I used it to attach a magnetic door catch for my compartment door. Works like a charm. Shouldn’t affect the Azdel other than it’ll be a pain to remove that plate should you ever choose to.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    Yeah, 3M VHB tape is amazing. Just wipe the area that it’s sticking to really well with alcohol.

The only thing I’d look at doing is spraying the sheet metal with paint. It will rust quickly and probably leech rust all down the side of your camper.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Jay_and_Kat, if it will work with your antenna, you might consider doing something like @rcarlson1957 and @SLJ suggested:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/15304/simple-antenna-mast-setup-for-ota-antenna#latest

I did a variation of their setups and it has worked out great.  I secured a short section of black PVC pipe to my front platform and use a painter's pole with the magnetic pick-up tool attachment when I want to use my "KING OA1501 OmniGo Portable Omnidirectional HDTV Over-the-Air Antenna."  I suppose the only issue would be where to store the painter's pole.  Mine is 6'4" before being extended, which I store it in the bed of my pickup.  The first photo depicts the painter's pole without being extended higher.  The metal hose clamps depicted in the second photo securely hold the PVC pipe in place:

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 266
    I wonder if you could make up a small angle bracket to attach to the keder rail.  I made this crude set-up for my 'home-made' antenna and it works great.  I bought the little keder nuts from Amazon.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    @Basil48192
    That mount is genius. Is that HDPE plastic? I'm looking for ways to mount the external antenna for a WeBoost in anticipation of more remote working next season. This seems pretty easy to make.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 266
    edited November 2022
    @manyman297
    Thanks!  I wanted something rigid that wouldn't scratch the finish...so I cut up an only plastic cutting board.  As I said, I purchased the keder nuts that slide into the groove from Amazon.  They are threaded and accept a small, metric machine screw.  The rest of the hardware I just picked up from Lowes.  Good luck!

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You can use the 3M tape to stick a coated steel washer to the TaB Roof.  I did this for our cell booster antenna.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    My goal was a always ready, no set up or take down with no holes in the roof and no rattling in the wind. Telescoping electrical conduit mounted on the front platform with the antenna cable run underneath back to the Nautilus compartment. King OmniGo antenna works in the raised or lowered position. Don't use it much when camping but use it when traveling and using rest stops, at music fests, and antique shows.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Thought I'd throw in my take for your consideration.  This is going to be the mast for my Starlink dish.  A Harbor Freight 20' telescoping flag pole and dish adapter purchased on eBay (fits in the pole and accepts the Starlink dish post).  Downside is it must be put up and taken down each time.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    You can barely see it in the first photo, but there is another "U" bracket holding the flag pole on the top platform brace (between the two Jerry cans).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.