Options

Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite

AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
I'm really happy with our 2D Wrangler / 320S combination, but my wife was becoming increasingly upset by the ride. She freaks out in traffic and it's not good for our marriage! We thought about bailing out of the whole thing, but are going to try a different tow vehicle first. We swapped out her Renegade for a 3.2 liter V6 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite today. We'll tow with that instead of the Wrangler. It has the tow package and a 4500 pound limit.

I've read some comments about this Jeep on the forum, but would like to hear if anyone has any positive or negative things to say about this choice.

Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    While I've no direct experience have seen many Cherokee + 320S combinations on my travels.
    For towing Cherokee beats the Wrangler with; longer wheelbase, wider track, higher curb weight, lower ground clearance.  All which will provide a more comfortable and sense of control ride.

Cherokee's are nice . . . was on my short list to purchase in 2017, but decided a pick-up was better for my general usage.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    This is a 5th season towing our 320s with Jeep Cherokee, I've had no negative experience to date. Jeep Cherokee is very capable, and comfortable. 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,505
    @jkjenn tows with a Jeep Cherokee.  Hey Jenn!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @jkjenn tows with a Jeep Cherokee.  Hey Jenn!
    Hi!

I tow with a Grand Cherokee L with a 6200lb capacity.

IMHO, a Cherokee with a 4500lb capacity is fine for a 320 but I wouldn't tow a 300 with it.

I am guessing your Trailhawk has Quadralift which is really nice for towing.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I believe that @Dalehelman towed his 320 with a Jeep Trailhawk. He had no problems as far as I know. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 379
    edited April 2023
    Hi, I have ‘21 JGC with tow package.  We have driven it about 21k miles with our TAB 320.  It’s been great. It’s very capable and comfortable.   I made a shelf for the rear (we keep the rear seats always down) which has increased storage capacity and we also have a large car top box.  With those two additions we can carry a lot.  We also have his/her clothes bin inside the rear doors which works very well.  Good luck.  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    I was surprised to see that the receiver tube is a couple of inches higher on the Cherokee than my lifted Wrangler. @Yoshi_TAB or anyone, what is the drop on the hitch mount you're using and how much squat do you get? Different Cherokee models probably have different heights, but I'm curious.

I got about an inch of squat with 250 lbs of tongue weight. It is what it is, but I'm looking at needing about a 8" drop.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 379
    Hi,

The top of my hitch tube is about 22” off the ground.   I use  a 4” drop.  Trailer is pretty level as we don’t unhitch on overnight stops.  I have not observed much if any squat (but have never measured for any).  The last tongue weight I measured was 320 lbs, but I have since removed a size 24 and 27 FLA batteries.  That also  was with two mountain bikes and two sea biscuit containers on the sides filled.  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Thanks @Yoshi_TAB. That 22" to the top of the hitch tube is the same as our Cherokee. The difference is that my 320 is not the Boondock version. I've read that the top of the ball should be 16" for mine vs. 18" for the Boondock, but I've also read that the Boondock package adds 4" to the overall height. Something doesn't add up.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We have towed our 2015 T@B 320S 65,000 miles with a 2015 and a 2019 Jeep Cherokee, both with a 3.2L engine with factory tow package.  In my opinion, based on our experience, the performance of both Cherokees has been flawless.  A bonus:  Getting around 30mpg when not towing.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    @T@Balong, thanks for the confidence booster. Will you share what drop you use on your ball mount?
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    My measurement to the top of the receiver tube on our Jeep Cherokee Limited (not a Trailhawk model) is 20.5 inches.   The drop to the top of the ball from the top of the receiver tube is 2.5 inches.  I should say that I typically tow with a full fresh water tank.   With the Cherokee's 4500 tow capacity, I prefer the stability that is provided by the full fresh water tank.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map