Options

Pre-Trip Readiness

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
edited September 2015 in Tips & Tricks
I am just a little over 3 weeks before I launch my fall trip to the Rocky Mountains and have been knocking off my to-do list items. What am I forgetting?
  • Renew Good Sam Roadside Assistance - done
  • Have bearings serviced - done
  • Jeep inspected, oil changed, suspension and other safety check completed - done
  • Route planned and Walmart w/overnight parking along the way marked - done
  • Picked up anti-freeze in case I have to winterized - done
  • Fill glycol for Alde
  • Check air pressure on TV and T@b - day before I leave
  • Wash T@b
  • Pre-chill fridge
  • Check weather and fire info
  • Do a visual inspection of T@b - week I leave

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited September 2015
    Check the brake wire under the T@B - runs across from one brake to the other - mine was hanging way down - any further and it would have dragged on the ground. It's now gorilla taped tight.
    Other than that, I'm at a loss cuz as you know, I never plan anything. It's wing it and go with the flow :-)
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    American Express Credit Card
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    PXLated ásaid:
    Check the brake wire under the T@B - runs across from one brake to the other - mine was hanging way down - any further and it would have dragged on the ground. It's now gorilla taped tight.
    Other than that, I'm at a loss cuz as you know, I never plan anything. It's wing it and go with the flow :-)
    Thanks for the tip about the brake wire. Will check it out.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Though lf another: clean and grease the BAL leveler.

• Options
    OzT@bOzT@b Member Posts: 39
    Check propane level.
    Stock up on wine.
    Stock up on chocolate.
  • Options
    OzT@b said:
    Check propane level.
    Stock up on wine.
    Stock up on chocolate.
    Thanks, yes, propane. I will take it for a refill. I am probably about 1/2 way down right now.

I am not a wine drinker, so I can save some money there, but I do enjoy some chocolate.

• Options
    Put chocolate in fridge so you don't end up with one big melted together cocoa block.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Put chocolate in fridge so you don't end up with one big melted together cocoa block.
    No kidding!

• Options
    Sandra said:
    Don't forget to print out a couple of the Ready Set Tow cards. You can add in the "Don't Forget" items on the side - like stop the mail; turn off coffee pot, unplug the t.v., etc., pet food - whatever. But it's great to have in your hand when you are trying to either set up for the first time, or break camp and someone wants a tour. Helps you to not forget what to do.
    I actually developed an app for my Windowsphone for the T@b. It has the ready-set-tow stuff, contact information, the battery status chart, social media links, and YouTube playlist with tips and tutorials.

• Options
    You people's are way too organized!
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Spare battery/jumper?  Do you pre-fill the water lines?  I can't remember if you got the bigger FW tank with your "under lifting" makeover.  Bring any frozen/premade dinners?  Extra water or gas? 

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Spare battery jumper is a good idea. My old battery died of natural causes at the onset of my trip last year. I didn't go with the bigger FW tank, yet. That has pluses and minuses. I will fill the FW tank at my first stop - my brother's house to drop off Rocky for two weeks of pampering and playing with another Shih Tzu. (I will really miss him!) I am a little Leary on doing too much shopping at one time in case something goes wrong with the fridge. I think I have learned from my mistakes, but I will go easy until I hit Colorado. I am pretty good with sandwiches, too.

I always have extra water both in the T@b and the TV. You just never know and more than once I have broken into the stash for Rocky. As for gas, I generally only bring an extra can when I know I will be in very remote spots - more like long off-road trips in Utah. I am pretty good at keeping things topped off. The further west you go, the longer it can be between exits with gas stations! I think I could even run the entirety of the Alpine Loop on one tank of gas, so I should be good. I have an "off-road checklist" I go through, too. (Too much for @PXLated, I know.)

I need the heat and humidity to break so I can get some of this stuff done. It is awful here right now.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Bring a sizeable stash of good coffee.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    What ChanW said - Ran out with no stores anywhere close. Made for a discabobulated couple of days.
  • Options
    You know, I love coffee, but don't drink it when I travel. I might hit a Dunkin Donuts once in a great while, but don't bother while camping. Just one more thing to clean.

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Another item we always do before a camping trip: make sure the first aid kit is refilled and updated.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Yeah, I have one in the Jeep and the T@b. I am more injury prone most if the population.

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I leave a 9v air compressor and 20 ft jumper cable under the rear seat of the TV wight he first aid kit (I've needed all on a few occasions during long boon docking trips).
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Dog Food and Treats!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    It just goes to show you how easy the T@b is to own... started this as a what so I need to do to make sure the T@b is ready to go and there really isn't much, so it morphed into a packing list thread. :|

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Fill windshield wiper fluid, check wiper blades.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    oldnewartguyoldnewartguy Member Posts: 11

I'm a little nervous about my tires. The Tab is only one year old, and I have noticed some small cracks in the sidewalls near the rim. Is this dangerous?

Tom & Pam in MD

2014 T@B S M@XX         2014 Subaru Outback

• Options
    Hmmmm - Mine's just shy of a year and they're fine. Been sitting a lot in the sun? Got a pic?
  • Options
    RollandRolland Member Posts: 8
    Don't know how your spare is mounted but check to make sure it is secure especially if hanging underneath.  I'm an old 'Big Truck' driver and had a huge list of things to do on the 'pretrip' every morning.  Make a list, laminate it, and do it religiously.  No fun when something falls off and even hits the vehicle behind you.  I'm from Pittsburgh too.
  • Options
    Rolland, I put the spare in them back of my Jeep.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks Rolland. I'm going to have to add that to my ready set go checklist.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RollandRolland Member Posts: 8
    Jenn, what kind of gas mileage do you get on your Jeep ?  I am getting a 2016 and opted for the 3.73 gears and manual trans.  My T@B will be a Max S at end of year.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2015
    I normally carry a set of small hand tools, electrical tape, splicing accessories (you can buy a small/assorted set of electrical connectors at Walmart), stripping/splicing tool, some extra wire, volt meter, voltage tester (bulb style tester used for trouble shooting), spare fuses, a few sockets and socket tool, duct tape, first aid kit, Thermocell mosquito device, extra iPhone cord, blue tooth speaker, extra (warm) clothing, rain gear, rain (muck style) shoes, leather gloves, extra tarps for emergency use, portable charging unit (for dead battery), 500 watt portable inverter (available at Lowe's, etc.), lithium aerosol grease, WD-40, spare bearings & races, extra keys for car & trailer, extra credit cards (hidden) should you lose your wallet, etc.  

A battery operated drill can be useful, along with some drill bits, extra drill battery, flashlight batteries (assorted), rags, extra blankets, extra towels/wash clothes, small block of wood for trailer jack, leveling blocks, etc.  

Many of these items might already be a mainstay on individual trailers but do come in handy along the road for an emergency repair should you or someone else need help along the road.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Rolland said:
    Jenn, what kind of gas mileage do you get on your Jeep ?  I am getting a 2016 and opted for the 3.73 gears and manual trans.  My T@B will be a Max S at end of year.
    Horrendous mileage, lol. Towing, I get between 9-11 on the highway. Back roads and slower 2 lane highways I usually get 12-13, if I am lucky. You will get better mileage, though, as they improved some on the newer models.

• Options
    Rolland - My 2008 Jeep Wrangler (manual six-speed) evidently does better than Jenns, gets on average 14 mpg pulling the T@B. The lowest I've ever gotten was 10.5 straight into a 35-40mph headwind and the best was 16.8. That's fully loaded, including the fresh water tank. This last two-day leg averaged 14.8 (relatively flat terrain) but I plan on 14.