Where do you store the spare tire?

vitovito Member Posts: 181
Picked up my new T@b today, and was surprised at one of the dealer's recommendations. He said that the spare tire, which is inside the camper, has a mounting place underneath the camper. But he recommended against putting it on the mount, saying it could easily hit the ground or otherwise get torn off or damaged and that I was better off leaving it inside as it came from the factory. The T@b storage room is limited enough  that I hate to give up that space, but I also would not want to lose my spare tire. What do you T@b owners do? 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Many of us have moved it to the tongue, either mounted on the side or up on the tongue against the jack.  If you scroll back through the threads there was one on the subject only a couple weeks ago.
  • vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Did you have to fabricate a mount or have the dealer do it?
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
    Lots of mounts to choose from for the side mount.  Check out places like etrailer or even Amazon. For the mount next to the jack, a regular side mount is used and you add u bolts as a do it yourself modification.
  • Trum@nTrum@n Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2015
    Mine was installed underneath by the dealer & I was shocked at how low it hung. Took it off as soon as I got home & put under seat. Someone else put theirs on the tongue against the jack using a mount from lowes that doesn't require finding u bolts. There's a thread a ways back about mounting spares.

Trum@n said:
    Mine was installed underneath by the dealer & I was shocked at how low it hung. Took it off as soon as I got home & put under seat. Someone else put theirs on the tongue against the jack using a mount from lowes that doesn't require finding u bolts. There's a thread a ways back about mounting spares.

Are you sure about the Lowes mount?  

They don't list one other than a side mount just like the other side mounts, therefore it would require u bolts.  

Unless that person just used the straight flat plates that come with those type of mounts.  That sure would not be my first choice in mounting the bracket to a cylinder.
  • Trum@nTrum@n Member Posts: 34
    gilbutler had the last post a few threads back under spare tire. Quite a few folks have done it & the weight will be at the bottom on the tongue so the bracket just holds it up.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I was just working on moving mine to the tongue tonight. I am half way there. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Trum@n said:
    These are gilbutler pics.
    The pics are small.  It looks like he just used the flat standard side mount plates
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    vito said:
    Picked up my new T@b today, and was surprised at one of the dealer's recommendations. He said that the spare tire, which is inside the camper, has a mounting place underneath the camper. But he recommended against putting it on the mount, saying it could easily hit the ground or otherwise get torn off or damaged and that I was better off leaving it inside as it came from the factory. The T@b storage room is limited enough  that I hate to give up that space, but I also would not want to lose my spare tire. What do you T@b owners do? 
    Your dealer is correct, and I have a few scrapes on my spare to prove it. 

Right now I throw mine in the TV on on top of the TV, but plan on setting up a mounting as others have done, on the tongue, center mounted against the jack.  It will add to the tongue weight, but in my case I need that additional tongue weight anyway, so it works for me.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I used the Outback Yakama Rack/Basket system to move the spare to the back of the rig. It was an ordeal installing the rack. The LG instructions were sparse, but at least answered the question why they didn't use the stock drilled holes in the tracks on the Outback. They point out where the T@B crossmembers in the roof are and that's where the self-tap screws go, but other than that, they don't tell you the spacing of the rails from the edges or to each other, and just say "refer to the Yakama rack instructions". I also got shorted a couple of screws. 

It was a major endeavor to put on the rack (measure, level, measure, measure again - mark - drop sharpie - repeat). 

I will say that getting the spare out from under the T@bitha was more than just a pain. Having a couple of bricks so the tire could lower and rest on them while I laid on my back to unscrew the lugs was helpful. My truck lug wrench sorta worked. Technically, I should have used a smaller lug size, but the two lugs holding the spare under the rig weren't on tight and there was no room to use my trusty crossbar lug wrench. Lifting the spare to the rack wasn't fun either. I found using a wheel chock helped hold the tire on the rack to position the spare tire holder mechanism. There were times that physics wasn't my friend and having an extra body would have been helpful. I have a generic 14" tire cover that took me being on an 8 ft A-frame ladder to get it on the tire properly. I find those things are easier to take off than put on.

It took 7 hours to complete the project. I've installed Yakama racks before, so I know how they fit together.

Tools: drill, level, sharpie, gray butyl putty tape (isn't user friendly in hot weather), square-head screwdriver, pocket knife, paper towels and cleaner, lots of water to drink, patience and an 8 ft step-ladder. 

Difficulty: Moderate when installing it solo. Possibly less of a pain with the presence of a helper, but not guaranteed! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    jkjenn said:
    I was just working on moving mine to the tongue tonight. I am half way there. :)

How did the spare tire mount work for you?  Would like to do this mod and was wondering if you feel comfortable with the extra weight.  Have any pictures?

Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Spare on the tongue worked just fine. I am now storing in my TV, though, because the additional battery box I added did not leave enough room.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Tongue works for me - Was the first mod I made to my T@B. The tire was on the tongue within two weeks of ownership.
  • gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Rad said:
    Trum@n said:
    These are gilbutler pics.
    The pics are small.  It looks like he just used the flat standard side mount plates
    Yes, That's what I did.  I did use some heavy duty rubber between the plates and the jack post, but even without the rubber, the flat plates along the post would make more contact than a couple of u-bolts.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • GlennBeckGlennBeck Member Posts: 71
    Check out Allie's link for better uncles pics from a previous thread:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1148/spare-tire-tongue-mount-hardware
    Glenn & Annie
    2016 T@B CS-S Max Black on Silver
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I keep mine under the bed, and no there is no "rubber smell".
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Dutchmen's must have a different height underneath. Mine has been underneath the trailer for 8 years+ has never drug, banged or scraped. I plan on leaving it there :)

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • JimDruryJimDrury Member Posts: 1
    I found a photo of a spare tire mounted on the rear of a Tab.  The license plate suggests that it's a photo from Europe.  Does anyone know how to order parts from Eurotab?  I find the big basket solution suggested by LG to be clunky.
    Mr.Uncle.Bill - That's the one that comes on the Outback standard.
    Dutchmen's must have a different height underneath. Mine has been underneath the trailer for 8 years+ has never drug, banged or scraped. I plan on leaving it there :)

Mine doesn't drag either but if and when I have to change a tire in bad weather, nasty ground or any other reason I don't have to lay down under the T@B to wrestle the tire out from underneath with a tongue mount.  Murphy's Law dictates you'll be a bit soiled after removing the spare and then when reinstalling it after tire replacement. 
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

Okay, finally home from overseas and mounted the spare.  Glad I did, as the underside spare mount lugs were already corroded to the point I almost had to cut one to free the tire under ideal weather and surface conditions.  A great reason to move the tire to a more accessible.  Used two muffler mounting brackets to easily mount to the jack post.  Painted the moiunt bracket flat black to protect from rusting and covered the wheel for aesthetics.
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Ours is a 2016 T@B Max S and the dealer said he has mounted all his there and has never had a problem or complaint about them dragging or hitting. I would however think they would if you went off a curb or went over extreme angles. Perhaps Ed Kaufman could shed more light on this issues
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
    JimDrury said:
    I found a photo of a spare tire mounted on the rear of a Tab.  The license plate suggests that it's a photo from Europe.  Does anyone know how to order parts from Eurotab?  I find the big basket solution suggested by LG to be clunky.
    I know what you are talking about. They are thin silver accessories rails that look awesome on a T@b. That is their off road model. If I could find those rails I would definitely mount on the rear. Personally, I didn't care for the Yakima rack look.

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    We had a Casita  and I found my JEEP Wrangler spare tire would fit so I did not carry a spare for the trailer. Yes it was a 15 inch wheel going on one side & a 14 on the other but works in a pinch. I Now am looking at T@B trailer & will do the same if wheel is 5 hole on 4 1/2 center. If not that size I would rather buy a small aluminum tire adapter to carry around instead of the weight tire and wheel. I just want something to get to a place to buy a spare tire. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jkjenn said:
    JimDrury said:
    I know what you are talking about. They are thin silver accessories rails that look awesome on a T@b. That is their off road model. If I could find those rails I would definitely mount on the rear. Personally, I didn't care for the Yakima rack look.
    If you find the source, I'd be interested, too. I need to keep the spare in the rear to offset the weight of the two batteries (no, not installed yet). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”