Portable grills

BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
Hey all - I'm looking to get a new grill and was wondering what everyone had and if you are happy with it.   Thanks!!

1 - What brand/model do you have?
2 - If you were to replace it would you go with the same one or something different?
3 - Gas or charcoal?
4 - If gas small propane bottles / attach to trailer propane tank / or a separate smaller (10gal) tank?
5 - Portable table or always use the picnic table at a campground?
6 - Store in trailer or TV?

Comments

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We have a Weber Go-Anywhere Gas Grill that we've used for tent camping for several years. It uses one pound propane cartridge and works well. My plan is to transport RV specific stuff like hoses, chocks, and the like in the T@B and "camping" stuff in the SUV, like grill, camp stove, lantern, camp chairs, etc. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    1. We went with the propane-powered Coleman® Camp Propane Grill/Stove. It's got a grill on one side and a burner on the other.  The grill is on the smallish side but I have cooked burgers, brats, and beans for four no problem.
    2. We're happy with it so we'd buy the same thing again. 3. Propane 4. Small propane bottles 5. Use picnic table 6 & 7 Store and haul in TV.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    We prefer to cook over a fire, my wife is very good at it, and the food tastes so good.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
    edited October 2017
    I believe it's considered a combo unit.  We looked at a dedicated small gas grill but found this one and like it because its a stove and grill.  It's a similar size and folds up like a two burner cook stove but it has a gas grill on the right side.  The other half is a cook stove.  This gives a place to boil water, heat beans, and grill. Coleman does make a version that has a griddle; but this is a grill.  Does that make sense?
    2014 T@B-S
    Minnesota
  • bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Camp chef butane stove - small, light, easy to start (no lighter needed). One bottle lasts us about a weekend, maybe 3 days. It rides in the tow vehicle.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Mountain-Series-Butane/dp/B00A0M3B5E
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I have one similar to what Spruce described http://amzn.to/1LNeW96

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Yep Jenn, that's the one we have too.
    2014 T@B-S
    Minnesota
  • Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    bgualtieri, have you used your burner at higher altitudes (above 5000 ft)? If so, how did it perform?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited October 2015
    Well, we've used it in Payson, AZ and Siri says that's about 4900 ft. So it wasn't a true test, but close
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    Spruce and jkjenn - have you had it for awhile?  how has it held up? I've read the reviews and they are generally positive but a couple of negatives - the sides pop off and the top falls back, pan under grill is somewhat less robust - hard to adjust temperature
  • lazulibuntinglazulibunting Member Posts: 41
    I love simplicity. I have a $20 char-broil grill with the legs that lock the lid in place for storage. Uses the small propane bottles. I have three small folding aluminum tables that are stronger than they appear. (Will actually hold a dishpan full of water with no problem.) All fit underneath the back seats, and are all very light weight. I also use the large table that came with my trailer as a outside table, as I don't need it to sleep on.
    Lazuli Bunting from Utah
    2005 Dutchman T@B & 2010 Toyota 4Runner
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    BBchBum said:
    Spruce and jkjenn - have you had it for awhile?  how has it held up? I've read the reviews and they are generally positive but a couple of negatives - the sides pop off and the top falls back, pan under grill is somewhat less robust - hard to adjust temperature
    I don't use it a ton but so far, so good.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

We've used ours about 6 times this summer.  I had concerns based on some of the reviews but it's worked well for us so far.  I've found the grill side in particular to have excellent temp control. 
    2014 T@B-S
    Minnesota
  • USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    1 - What brand/model do you have? I have the same grill as Spruce1 and Jenn - Coleman grill / stove.
    2 - If you were to replace it would you go with the same one or something different? I'd consider something different, but definitely want the combo grill / stove. I do find the flame setting difficult to control at the low end. I turn it down to the level I want, then when I release the adjustment knob, it springs back to a higher setting. To get it down to a low simmer (or really slow grill) when I turn it down to where it will stay at the level I want, the flame goes out and I've got to relight it.  I also wish it had a cut-off valve for the connection to the bottle. The side panels do occasionally release unexpectedly, but when one does the other gains enough tension so I've never had both to release and have the top fall. I usually line the pan under the grill with aluminum foil.
    3 - Gas or charcoal? 1-lb gas propane bottles.
    4 - If gas small propane bottles / attach to trailer propane tank / or a separate smaller (10gal) tank? I have an adapter for the 1-lb bottles so I can use the 1-lb bottles as a backup for the trailer tank.
    5 - Portable table or always use the picnic table at a campground? So far I've only used it (several months) on the back porch at home; busy summer so haven't been able to get away camping. Plan on using it on picnic tables at the campground mostly, although we frequently take a small table with us.
    6 - Store in trailer or TV? Plan on TV on trips; stays on our back porch at home.
    7 - Where do you haul it? Plan on TV.

gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    When we lived in Guam, I made a small "hibachi" out of freon container which I inverted and cut in half. This was for beach cooking on my pickup tailgate. The handles became the base and I cut a piece of grating to serve as the grill surface. I had to torch holes in the bottom for circulation. We liked to cook over briquettes rather than a gas flame for better taste. Due to the cost of briquettes, after cooking we would put the briquettes in an ammo can and close it to snuff them out and save them for another day. The "hibachi came home to Colorado with us. You can see something like it here: http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/homemade-barbecue-zmaz79mjzraw.aspx
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Hi Gang,
    Here's our thoughts on a portable grill:
    We just got back from another four month ramble in our Clamshell T@B. Two years ago we picked up the Esbit Portable Folding Charcoal Grill at LL Bean in Freeport, Maine and have used it frequently in our extended travels.
    It accommodates the single use "light the bag" charcoal.  We usually grill enough meats for three or more meals for two in one session. All stainless steel construction. Easy clean-up. Sits nicely for use on a picnic table. Folds down small into it's own carry bag. We are always on the lookout for something better and just have not found anything that makes us think we could trade up from the Esbit!
    -
    http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-Portable-Folding-Charcoal-Carrying/dp/B003DRLQEG/ref=sr_1_11?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1444916549&sr=1-11&keywords=charcoal+grill+portable

Bon appétit on the road!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    I use the Eco que. It is very efficient, well made of stainless steel and folds to about an inch thick.This is a popular choice on the teardrop forum.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I also have the Eco Que.  It is very well-made and uses very little charcoal (9-12 briquettes or so).   It folds down to about the size of a coffee-table book and comes with a case.  It heats up really fast and is incredibly efficient.  My first choice is always a wood fire in the fire pit, but when there is a fire ban, this is a great grill to have available and easy to tuck away.  Here it is for $47, and I think you can get a 20% off coupon online.  I paid $80ish when I bought it and still consider it a good purchase.

https://m.opensky.com/ecoque/product/ecoque-portable-grill?target=https://m.opensky.com/ecoque/product/ecoque-portable-grill
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    Thanks everyone for your input! I've learned about some different grills. 
     Lots to think about.
  • FloridalohaFloridaloha Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2016
    I am a grilling fanatic and am always looking for new ways to grill and/or smoke food. I'm anticipating my upcoming T@B adventures by looking at some options. In college I had a portable lightweight grill that uses balled-up newspaper as fuel. It worked great, was cheap, and though they don't make them any more, I found a new one on eBay. So that will be one thing I will use for sure, it lights up fast,  and is perfect for burgers, sausages, or grilled veggies. It is lightweight and breaks down easily for transport and storage,

But this came across my Facebook feed today, and I thought it was interesting. It's a solar grill. It comes in different configurations. I probably won't spring for one of these right away as it is kind of costly, but it looks like a great option, especially for boondocking folks or for those of us in hurricane country who might need another way to cook food until the power goes back on.  http://www.gosunstove.com/
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited June 2016
    I cook on a charcoal grill 3-4 nights a week whether we are home or traveling.  We are very stingy with storage space in our T@B and anything that is brought along really needs to earn it keep.  I ended up with the Fire Sense Notebook Charcoal Grill.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Sense-Notebook-Charcoal-Grill/dp/B001OC5PYY/ref=sr_1_8?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1467322379&sr=1-8&keywords=fire+sense

This is our second camping season with it.  It is working fine, and i really like that it folds flat to one inch thick for storage.

Fire Sense Hotspot Notebook Portable Grill Black 192 sq in

• tabascotabasco Member Posts: 23
    we use a COBB charcoal burning (12 briquettes)  grill.It works very well and grills burgers perfectly. keep it in the TV
    Hard to describe how it works but try google for more info.we take it everywhere in the T@B and on our boat! Cheers, bern and jen.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Pit Barrel! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Coleman roadtrip with interchangeable grates/ burners. On it's built in stand with wheels. Love it. Nexgrill table top 2 burner if space in TV is tight. Coleman fold and go when it's just me going
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    ericnliz said:
    Pit Barrel! =)
    Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    I have just recently decided to switch to to a gas grill (just got tired of carrying charcoal and the clean up and hassle that goes with charcoal). After a lot of research, it came down to the iconic Coleman Q or the Napoleon TQ285. I went with the Napoleon because it is a more compact design and will fit under the the rear bench on the passenger side of my T@B. As it turns out, I carry in the TV most of the time but the carry hande, compactness, and double burners made it a good choice for me. It is a very well constructed unit and worth the price.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    JustJohn, I've tried gas grills, and food tastes a lot better with charcoal.[That being said however, to each their own!] I use what's left over in the grill to start the campfire, so really no mess to clean up. Also carry a table top Charbroil grill [like a mini Weber] when I don't take the pit barrel.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I like the taste of charcoal better but like JustJohn, got tired of carrying it around.