Options

Awning, Trailer Tent or Visor???

Comments

• Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Hey @CCPICC  I like what you did with a tarp and 3/8" rope in the Keder rail! Looks very clean and functional. I went "deluxe" with the Visor XL but you saved the $$ for some additional mods. I might make a tarp type like that for the other side when needed. But what is "tarp tape"?? Would the guy at Lowe's know?
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Relax Connie - They make them as they come in to whatever color combination you want, in other words "custom". Let's see you manage an inventory of 100s of combinations. I understand the frustration but geeez.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Allow me to wax poetic about the XL Visor.  It is extremely lightweight and compact (compared to an EZ-up canopy at 47 pounds).  One person can set it up in about 5 minutes (really).  Use the yellow tent peg idea (97 cents each at Walmart) to keep the door open without touching the visor.  Also remember those round handles on each corner of the T@B allow you to move the trailer for maximum shade.  I found this so well designed and constructed, that I ordered the awning hoping for the same result.

Frank

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Lots of thought in this set up. What's in the Action Packer? My 8-gallon Action Packer seemed too small for my 15-foot sewer hose with connections. Why the wooden blocks under each of the feet? What's in the Jerry cans? And finally, Is that a Segway????

• Options
    I like to tighten my visor down so it's pretty much taunt and wrinkle free (I stake mine - See details in another visor thread) but have found if it's breezy/gusty it's better to loosen it up and let it float a little. Can leave it up more by adjusting. Still have to take down in higher winds or when real gusty but (as mentioned) it an easy up/down.
  • Options
    Eight what - Colors? I was told I could order any combo so that would be 64 or there abouts. Then they make two sizes of visors, + tents, etc. - Lots of inventory even if just one in stock of each.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Paha Que makes many varieties of tents and shelters, not just those in the Teardrop Store. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Bert: the action packer is bolted to the platform. It carries the shore power, water hose and tool bag.  It's an 8 gallon model. The two Jerry Cans contain a total of 10 gallons of fresh water. I have not found a need to use the black tank in my travels, so no sewer hose to accommodate. The wooden blocks result from my inexperience with RVs. Will only use them with uneven ground. The Outback has an increased ground clearance, where I thought the blocks were necessary.  That is a Segway X2 with off-road capabilities. It,s transported in the back of my tow vehicle (not on the T@B).
    Frank
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    What's the "yellow tent peg idea to keep the door open without touching the visor"?  Picture perhaps? I tried search terms but didn't get any results.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Michele - Yellow Pegs - It's something I did last year, there's a thread on it somewhere with pics. I have a lousy time with search but I'll see if I can find it.
  • Options
    As usual, couldn't find it - Here's new pics...
    Basically, I ground down the side humps on the top of these cheap tent stakes so they'd fit in the door hinge gap and keep the door from blowing closed when the visor is up. You can't hook the door open when the visor is installed. Between the visor and these stakes, the door sticks straight out.

I think I also reamed out the tie slot making it a little longer. I added rubber strips to one side so it fits tighter.
  • Options
    HappyCamperHappyCamper Member Posts: 29
    it is not tied down, but it actually bunches up more when tied down.   Thoughts?  Thanks!
  • Options
    I use clamps on the side edges attached to the front and back handles with bungie balls - hit the above link and see image #4 - Holds it taunt and keeps it from shifting.
  • Options
    It's interesting that some mfgs will sell direct, others not.
    Connie - Is that current delivery times or from back when you ordered?
    Doesn't mean you'd have gotten it any quicker just tha one is more conservative than the other with their estimate. I'm betting though that if you and LG put orders into PahaQue at the same time they'd get theirs first just because of their volume.
    You've sure got a bug in your bonnett on this PahaQue thing for some reason - several posts and counting :-(
  • Options
    I ordered a XL visor from the teardrop shop and got it a week later. Liked it so much, I ordered an awning. It's arriving tomorrow - two weeks after placing the order w teardrop shop. Could not choose a color.  Only offered grey on grey (which matches my TAB).
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    it is not tied down, but it actually bunches up more when tied down.   Thoughts?  Thanks!
    I don't know but it almost look like the pole that goes through the edge is a little short.  Maybe the regular pole on an XL visor?  Do you want me to measure my XL pole?
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    HappyCamperHappyCamper Member Posts: 29
    I think you are right!  I will measure the pole!  
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    I have 8 poles measuring 27" each plus 1 pole measuring 21" for a total of about 225/226 inches with end caps.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Back to the original topic of this thread, we really like our awning which matches our silver and black T@B.  The visor looks to me like it would only provide shade and not protection from some of the rain we have camped in.   And the tent looks like it would feel as though we are no longer outdoors, just in another room.   I'm not sure I would like the idea of coming up with another arrangement for the stairs either.   We have found the awning to be a great accessory for our needs.   Besides, I can attach it by myself.  Everyone needs to make their choice based on the type of camping they plan to do.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    We have all 3,  XL-visor, awning, and the tent. While we most often use the visor, agree with the previous post that the awning offers much better protection from elements and for a larger area - all while still being "outdoors living" space and very easy to put up. If we had to keep only 1 of these 3 add-ons, we'd  choose the awning.
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    @Machak88 since you've used both, how long does it take you to put up the awning as compared to the visor? Is putting up the awning a one person job?

We have a Eureka screen house that we intend to use for camping, but it takes two of of us a half hour to put up and isn't practical unless we're going to be in one place a while. I was thinking the visor would work but there is a lot more coverage with the awning, and if it's not much more work to put up it might be the way to go.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I can put up the awning by myself in about 10-15 minutes.........I don't find it difficult at all.   The Keder rail is a big help.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    We used the tent a few times already this past season. It really made the T@b much more comfortable. We set up a small table and chairs in the tent, and left the bed as a bed inside the T@b. I really do not like the chore of changing the dinette to a bed and back to a dinette daily, and in fact, would probably consider buying a bigger tow vehicle so that we could tow a larger camper if we had to go through the set up daily forever. The tent allows us the luxury of always having a table and chairs to sit at and to eat at, and always have the bed available for sleeping. It also makes the morning much more comfortable with the first of us that got up going to the tent and relaxing with a cup of coffee while the other slept a bit longer. I may add the visor later, especially for a quick overnight stay, but will always use the tent for longer stays. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    @Photomom, we put the awning up within 10 min tops, it takes just a tad longer than the visor. The awning does have a few tie ropes that are anchored by stakes in the ground, unlike visor that can be put only by kedar.
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    For me, it depends on the weather. If it's going to be nice, then just the visor, and usually a 10x10 EZ-Up over the kitchen. If rain is expected, then the awning and a 10x20 EZ-Up over the kitchen. The set up time is almost the same for either setup, and I can do it all myself. I have to stake out my visor because I don't have a lower keder rail.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    For me, staking the Visor works better. Have only used the lower rail once.
  • Options
    VERY windy here right off the lake. Last night I Added two tie-downs at the visor tabs. One secured by my trailer hitch, the other a concrete picnic table. Visor seems to be holding it's own! However, next time I'll leave it off if wind is forecast. So glad I'm in the TAB and not a tent.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ - Be careful of real gusty winds - Last year it was relatively calm when I went to bed, woke up at 4am to the Visor flopping all over the place as real heavy gusts had come up. One of the pole joints came undone and it split the pole halfway down the length. Superglued it back together and it's been fine since, but am very careful now in gusty winds. Does fine in steady winds but gusts can reak havoc. I find that loosening up the tie downs when windy is best rather than battening it down tight.
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    CCPICC said:
    Hello, I did not want to spend all the cash for an awning, my clamshell came with the track installed for an awning so I took a 10x10 blue plastic tarp and along one edge I placed a 3/8 inch diameter nylon piece of rope and folded the tarp over it and secured it with tarp tape. I guide it into the rail and it covers the entire front side of the dorrway area. I attach it to either poles or with bungies to trees in my camsites. This has worked for me for the past four years and we are able to sit out in the rain or any inclament weather and stay out of the mess. Please see my picture.

wCCPICC said:
    Hello, I did not want to spend all the cash for an awning, my clamshell came with the track installed for an awning so I took a 10x10 blue plastic tarp and along one edge I placed a 3/8 inch diameter nylon piece of rope and folded the tarp over it and secured it with tarp tape. I guide it into the rail and it covers the entire front side of the dorrway area. I attach it to either poles or with bungies to trees in my camsites. This has worked for me for the past four years and we are able to sit out in the rain or any inclament weather and stay out of the mess. Please see my picture.