Options

A question about storage under the rear sofa - MY SOLUTION!

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
edited June 2016 in Modifications & Upgrades
There is quite a bit of storage behind and under the sofa, and I was anticipating keeping our sleeping bags and bed pillows there. I am not sure I want our bedding touching the spare tire (which I intend to keep there for now) and there are wires had hoses on both sides that probably shouldn't be disturbed.

It occured to me that I might be able to cut a piece of 1/8" plywood to rest on top of the boards you can see along the walls and in the middle. I could put my bedding on top of that to keep it off the tire and other stuff.

Has anyone done anything like that?

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Some of us had our Alde reservoirs leak.  I had a comforter under the seat on the driver's side.  Went to make the bed only to find the comforter wet with Alde fluid.  I now use Costco 33 gallon bags for all my bedding that goes behind the bench seat.  BTW, the dry cleaning bill was almost as much as a new comforter. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    I've pondered the same project. My impression was that the additional thickness of the plywood (1/4" minimum) might impede laying the back bench flat, and possibly damage the hinges.

Not that it's not a good idea, just that you would have to recess the panel(s) somehow so they don't add to the height of the frame.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Good point. Maybe I'll use plastic bags for now. It is too big a space to leave unused. 
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Can a plastic bin be found to fit?  If one is found that fits the length and width dimensions, but is too high, it can be cut down.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Photomom, I use either those XXXL Ziplock bags or a space bag for my sleeping bag, winter parka, etc. I had the same thought about not wanting to clean or wash if there was a leak. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have three of those canvas covered bins (roughly a foot cubed each) and store canned goods etc under there.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    I have three of those canvas covered bins (roughly a foot cubed each) and store canned goods etc under there.
    How do you reach it? Do you only put it on the passenger side?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    PXLated said:
    How do you reach it? Do you only put it on the passenger side?
    Jen, I had 4 of those cubes under the passenger side rear seat. It worked well. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks, @Verna . I have been considering those cubes, but not yet pulled the trigger.

I am going to put a suitcase with work clothes in the far back behind the Alde. I might put it in a giant Ziplock or elevate it an inch or two.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Thanks, @Verna . I have been considering those cubes, but not yet pulled the trigger.

I am going to put a suitcase with work clothes in the far back behind the Alde. I might put it in a giant Ziplock or elevate it an inch or two.
    @jkjenn, I know you're taller than me, but check first to make sure you can pick up the Ziplock since it's such a long reach. A reaching clamp (whatever you call those things that you operate two clamps to pick up something) sure comes in handy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks, @Verna . I will probably put a  rope through the handles. I am tall enough to reach, but that angle makes it easy to pinch a nerve in your neck.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - Yep, just the passenger side. Sleeping stuff goes behind the upright bench - easy to pull out and put back.
  • Options
    We had the some idea, Photomom, but the bench wouldn't lay flat. It is amazing how much storage space there is back there. You never know what you might find.   =).      

Oh my goodness!  We found a Doug!  ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Yep, just the passenger side. Sleeping stuff goes behind the upright bench - easy to pull out and put back.
    Yeah, my sleeping stuff goes back there, too. Bed is made in under 30 seconds.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Now you have photo proof that Doug can crawl underneath and pick up the leetle bitty things you accidentally dropped and rolled into the area. Muhahahahahaha!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    edited May 2016
    My favorite mod.  Since I travel solo, sleep wheel-to-wheel, and have a memory foam mattress (2"), I like to keep the bed made. I can still ratchet the bed up 1 notch for tv watching or all the way for company with it still made. Having access to that area from outside for the essentials saved me from carrying so much stuff in my TV. 

Moderator's note: photos edited for size.

Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm itching to do that mod. We usually leave the bed made, too much work to remake it. 

I'd love to find a way to add a hatch to both sides.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Another mod I have seen done that I am itching for is to make the couch double hinged so that it can be lifted from the bottom for easier access to that space.  Would be really nice to be able to simply slide my bedroll behind the couch and leave the couch up.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    The entire area under the passenger side of the rear bench is still open. We have the spare tire in there now but ultimately will use it for food storage.
  • Options
    There is still a little unused space under the dowel "shelves" but my arms aren't long enough to reach there for anything, so no loss!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Nice solution. I just happen to have some dowels kicking around, so I think this might have moved up on the project list!

As you have probably already noted, the space under the dowels on the passenger side is continuous with the area where your spare now lives. I use that space to store long items such folding chairs and awnings that I only need to access when first setting up camp. The other side is blocked by the Alde, but I'm sure I'll come up with some little-needed item I can cram into that space, as well.

Photomom said:
    There is still a little unused space under the dowel "shelves" but my arms aren't long enough to reach there for anything, so no loss!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    These are 3/8 inch dowels spaced approximately every 3 inches. I believe that is sufficient for the stuff I'm putting back there. If you have heavier or smaller objects you may want to adjust accordingly. I also have one screw securing the angle brackets to the wooden trailer framing, you could beef that up too if you are storing heavier things.

In retrospect I should have investigated removing the sofa back as it was very difficult working back there. 

I was pleasantly surprised with how much space there is behind the sofa. Perfect for bedding.
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Thanks Photomom for the inspiration
  • Options
    Excellent, @Ramrod, what type of wire grid did you use? That's the sort of thing I originally wanted to do but couldn't find anything that would work.
  • Options
    I use the space under the wire rack for storage, too. With your set up, you would have to pull everything out when you make the bed, correct?

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    It is a closet wire shelf from Lowe's. It is attached with screws. Helps keep the mattress topper behind the sofa, protects the Alde plumbing and simplifies storage under bench on the passenger side.