Options

Help Convincing the Wife

M2KM2K Member Posts: 3

Hiya everyone! I have been reading the forum for a while learning everything I can in order to make an informed purchase. I am currently trying to convince my wife that a T@B is the way to go instead of a hotel room when we travel.

I was in Boy Scouts my entire youth and I love tent camping. My wife, not so much. Her idea of tent camping is sitting under the E-Z Up tent at the tailgate at the LSU football games.

We have gone to the dealer closest to us in Lafayette, LA and looked at the exact Max S we would buy. She thinks they are all great and wonderful but at the same time unconvinced that she can spend 3+ nights camping in one and Boondocking is completely out of the question.

Since no one rents them, and I can’t imagine a private owner letting someone rent or borrow one for a night, does anyone have a suggestion on how I can convince/prove to her that they are perfect for us?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Do what I do - promise to do all the cooking.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    They can be rented in California.  You could do a western trip and try one out on the west coast....
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I rented several different sized trailers before purchasing my T@B.  While they didn't have the same quality as the T@B, they at least helped me determine the minimum size I could live with.  Google RV rentals and see what's available in your area. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Hmmmmm - Trying to think if I can recall of a single "convince my wife" effort ever being successful - Uhhhhhhhh - Nope.
    I have met a couple guys (and one gal) that leave their spouses at home and just go do their thing for a few weeks at a time :-)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    As nice as the T@B is, it's still camping...
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    3ladybugs3ladybugs Member Posts: 4
    I am wanting one for the bathroom and never having to stand in a LONG line at a rest stop again!
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    If my wife had not already liked camping, I am not sure any amount of convincing would have done it.  Best bet is to find a rental somewhere and take it out for a weekend.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    PXLated said:
    Hmmmmm - Trying to think if I can recall of a single "convince my wife" effort ever being successful - Uhhhhhhhh - Nope.
    I have met a couple guys (and one gal) that leave their spouses at home and just go do their thing for a few weeks at a time :-)
    This was literally my thought when reading the first post. A hotel room with a king sized bed it ain't. You have to be into it, and be thrilled with the adventure and the "treehouse" vibe of he Tab. For most folks, that starts with an initial fascination. If it is t there, then the experience might confirm any negative vibes. The Tab (and camping itself) is like life: 80% perspective. 
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Yep, gotta have an interest - I have a brother that will NEVER get his wife camping or RVing even if it's a lux, leather interior'd motorcoach. If he and my nephew want to go, fine, no problem. But not her, nope. Not her thing at all.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Alas, I guess the bedbug threat wouldn't be enough. The others are right. If a person doesn't have that interest (I like the "treehouse vibe" description), well, there isn't much one can do.

I solo camp with the TearJerkers. Several leave spouses at home. We make sure to tell on them on the forum if they misbehave ;) (j/k - we try to get them in trouble with "stories"). The stories have to start with "There I wuz, jus' chillin' and campin' with my TD at xx and then it happened....."
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    M2K said:

...does anyone have a suggestion on how I can convince/prove to her that they are perfect for us?
    Probably not. The T@B seems a perfect upgrade for tent campers who enjoy living outdoors but are ready for a few more creature comforts and conveniences. If you're dead set on RVing, a larger unit that two people can actually live in comfortably might be a better bet. Good luck! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited May 2016
    if you're looking for something like a mobile hotel room, look at one of the motor homes built on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Friends have a Pleasureway model that they travel in for a month or so at a time. It is quite luxurious with cherry cabinetry, granite countertops, etc. and it gets 20 mpg on diesel. We considered one before deciding on the T@B. (The T@B is better for camping.) Be sitting down when you check the prices. I am sure you can rent one somewhere. I would not consider what they do "camping".
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2016
    You might want to explore your options.  My wife and I went to ExpoWest before deciding the T@b was the best for us, if at all.    ExpoEast is coming to Asheville, NC in October (http://www.overlandexpo.com/).  It will give your wife a chance to talk to other women who have explored the world.  I would not camp out, you do not want to push it too hard.  I would find a really nice place to stay nearby.  Just get the day-pass, the vendor exhibits are overwhelming.

While ExpoEast is geared toward expedition/overland travel, you will see a lot of different set-ups and meet enthusiasts.  You will also be able to walk around the campgrounds and talk to other campers with a variety of setups, from mild every day to built rigs.

These guys are usually there too: http://globalxvehicles.com/safari-extreme-on-sd-brazos-chassis/ .   It is great for tailgating at LSU too.

But consider it really carefully, it might turn her off.  Here is a video from 2015 ExpoWest.  It rained and snowed and on the last day it finally cleared up.  It was incredibly muddy

Got a little sloppy (not mine).
    httpsiytimgcomviSEQLB_CixPYhqdefaultjpg

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I WILL say getting someone inside and sitting down inside a Tab is critical. No one truly knows how usable the space is until hey are in one. It is incredibly extra dimensional 
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Yep - I passed by the lot many, many time while looking at campers thinking it was too small. Finally stoped one day and was amazed at the room and the quality. Ordered the next time thru town.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    source3 said:

But consider it really carefully, it might turn her off.  Here is a video from 2015 ExpoWest.  It rained and snowed and on the last day it finally cleared up.  It was incredibly muddy

Got a little sloppy (not mine).

Showing her that would be a BAD idea. And that's really not what you're looking to do anyway.
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    My husband wasn't 100% convinced until he went inside a t@b CS-S. We set up the bed, laid on it, opened up the cabinets, scoped out the table set-up, etc; he came away realizing that the interior is a lot bigger in person. Photographs do not do it justice.
    And we're now about to order one. :joy:
    I'd suggest you find a dealer that has one on the lot and at least, let her scope it out.
    That being said, if your wife is not into the camping thing, other than tailgating at a CFB game, this will be a tough sell.
    Good luck!
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2016
    Ok, I am not helping but I could not resist.

Maybe introduce the wife to something she likes to do.  Tailgating.
    httpss-media-cache-ak0pinimgcom736x9aa74d9aa74d7c428912d336b6d06d4d485869jpg
    http://www.designtherapy.com/2011/03/great-american-woody.html

But on a more helpful note, have you considered a T@B CS (clamshell)?  It can do double duty, tailgating and camping.  She will even have her own toilet.

CS Galley large image page 3

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Now we're talkin'! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    source3 said:
    Ok, I am not helping but I could not resist.

Maybe introduce the wife to something she likes to do.  Tailgating.
    But on a more helpful note, have you considered a T@B CS (clamshell)?  It can do double duty, tailgating and camping.  She will even have her own toilet.

CS Galley large image page 3

Ahem...the kitchen is outdoors. Something tells me this is not the answer :-)

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    My husband won't even enter mine, much less camp with me. Oh well, his loss.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I may have found a solution. A good friend of mine has one of those small, A-frame pop-ups that he is going to let us borrow for a weekend. I figure its the closest thing I can find to simulate staying in a T@B.

On another note. She thought the clam shell idea was nice for tailgating but since I am the one who does all of the cooking I am a bit leery of possibly having to go cook supper in the rain. I guess I could bring a big 30' x 10' tent everywhere we go. 
  • Options
    Don't mention rain and camping in the spring - makes me cranky. Haven't had the grill out of the TV in almost three weeks.
  • Options
    Also, is the difference in the refrigerators on the CS and the S really that big of a deal? We would be hooked up to shore power most of time and if we were tailgating i have a Honda 3000iS generator we could plug into.
  • Options
    If you have power, the world is your oyster.
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    The one thing my wife and I have figured out and are always repeating to each other is: "A SENSE OF HUMOR IS ESSENTIAL".  :) 
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    HERE, HERE Lil_ Lucy, keep an grin on and the world is yours! It's ALL a matter if attitude, not altitude! :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    We have the refrigerator from CS in our S-Max: that was one of the modifications we requested when ordering our T@B. The all-electric fridge is more compact overall than 3-way while having about the same refrigerator capacity, and it has a little freezer compartment too. We are not boondocking, always have shore power, so this was a logical choice for us. An unexpected bonus was that LG was able to make a bit bigger kitchen cabinet + a bonus cabinet under the fridge for our T@B due to this mod, since an all-electric fridge takes less room than 3-way one. Love the outcome: 

2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    Never been able to connivence the wife of anything other than to get married. As my dad said that was the last correct thing you will ever do in her mind...

Warning!!  Women should probably stop reading right here.

However I did learn one little trick over the last 28 years.  It is a whole lot easier (and possible) to convience the wife's, best friend, sister, mother, co worker, etc than it is to convince the wife.  She just might listen to one of them and then it was not your idea if she hates it...!!!
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.