Options

15'x15' Point Loma Dome shelter

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
edited June 2016 in Modifications & Upgrades
I love this sun shelter. By lifting one side 13" it fits nicely over the top of our T@B. Once you have assembled it the first time it should not take more than 30 minutes for one person 15-20 min for two. I used 3" abs plastic drain pipe with an end cap to extend the legs. If I wanted to I could park the whole trailer under it a still have room. The best part was it cost only $159.00 with free shipping on Amazon. Pictures to follow.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That's excellent. Looks like it was made for the Tab.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Excellent is the right word - thank you for showing us your pictures.

• Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    Dalehelman,
    Very nice.
    We have used this similar set up for ten years with the original 'Coleman' 'Event Shade' dome, and now have the 'Pa Ha Que' 'teardrop dome'.  love the large space it provides.  We call it our great room !
    One suggestion I have for you is to use a 'closet flange' (the floor flange for a toilet) on the bottom of your leg extensions for staking down.

Geo
    T@Bmahal
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Dalehelman, Any idea if this would be tall enough for the CS open galley?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Very nice, clean looking set-up!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I like the toilet flange idea. I currently have a plug in the bottom and I store the stakes inside
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It's a great fit, but Dale! 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    The Pa Ha Que dome from the tear drop shop is $549. The Colman dome was $159 and I see very little difference.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Are there screen "sides" you can attach or roll down to completely enclose oneself inside? I like the idea of this but need as much protection from mosquitos as a human can get.
    They eat me alive; never ever bite my husband.....ever.....wth?! :i_dunno:
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    No screens. For sun and rain shelter only.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options

Apologies, Dalehelman, for hijacking this into a mosquito discussion. 

Thanks
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I should've added another screen comment to try to stay on topic, Dale!! Many sorries. The dome is an excellent addition to your setup!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    Dalehelman, we also have used the Coleman shelter with our T@b and enjoyed it. Like Geo, we raised the entire dome about a foot with the pvc and toilet flange setup. I sewed walls so that we could enclose the structure in inclement weather. During the last season we had holes develop in the fabric which I wad able to patch but a broken pole rendered the entire setup unuseable. Coleman does not supply parts. We now have the PaHaQue dome which is very similar but does not require the leg extensions to raise it up. The initial investment is indeed much higher but there is no comparison quality-wise. The fabric is much heavier and there are nice quality side panels available. The most important thing to me is that PaHaQue can provide replacement parts. The domes are a sweet setup that more than double the size of your camp.
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Sad to hear Coleman doesn't supply parts. It's part of customer support.

Keep in mind you can often find parts for these structures with a search online. I was able to find the fiberglass rod for our Thermarest tent, via a kite rib supplier, of all things.

Carolyn said:
    ....but a broken pole rendered the entire setup unuseable. Coleman does not supply parts. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I can buy 3 of the Colman domes and still have about $100 in my pocket. Maybe I should buy an extra one for parts. I agree the Pa Ha Que is a great product but I feel it is way over priced. How much do they charge for side panels?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    Worked great in the rain, down along the Columbia River. Second trip broke major pole.
    Bought and happy with one large and one small Clam shelter.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,291
    After loosing a Coleman 13x13 at uCamp, have to ask about how this handles wind? Looks like a big  parachute.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @AnOldUR we have one of @Dalehelman 's modified domes. We have been through several storms, one quite serious with 45 mph winds and small hail. With Dale's lag bolts into the ground modification, it held. When we lent the dome to an acquaintance, they broke one of the elastic pole connectors, but that is the only damage in 4 years of use. However, I don't believe that Coleman makes the 15' Point Loma Dome anymore. Another model or something akin may be currently available, but not the Loma Dome. Dale told us he bought 2 so he would have spare parts in case of a failure, but after several years of successfull use he sold the spare dome to us.
    This original dome is suprisingly tough. We have it up right now, and will for the next several weeks as we need all the space we can as we have 7 souls on board. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.