Options

anyone ever mess with Freon?

Chris_and_SarahChris_and_Sarah Member Posts: 52
I'm outside Houston right now and absolutely miserable.  The heat index today was 115º, and my Frigidaire isn't blowing cold air.  Here's what I know:

1. The exterior vent is blowing HOT air outside, and the air coming into the tab is *mildly* cool, but nowhere near 20º cooler than the outside air.
2. The compressor is ON.  At night I hear it kick off for a few minutes at a time.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it just needed some more freon -- we spent probably 2 months camping last summer and the unit was running all the time.  It hasn't really run since last year because we've been up North until now.  But last year we did hot weather camping, and I know how it's supposed to feel in here...it's definitely not working properly.

I'm tempted to replace it, and also tempted to try to figure out the whole freon thing, but it looks like it might be a little more complicated than I thought.  Anyone ever attempt adding freon themselves, or know if it's easy to get a pro to do it?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2016
    How humid is it? Someone here said it can't start cooling until it first removes the humidty. That's the way all A/C works I guess.
    Last time I was in Houston you could cut the humidty with a knife.
  • Options
    It's humid for sure, but that's why I added the reference to last summer, which was just as humid -- the difference in performance is night and day.  This is WAY more that just typical underpowered a/c in hot weather stuff.

• Options
    Last time I was in Walmart they had a big display of A/C rechargers for cars - Don't know if they'd work or if there's something similar for window A/C.
    Personally I'd head to a heating / air conditioning shop and have them check it.
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Danby a/c cannot keep up with the heat either during the day. 
  • Options
    I've been researching this for the last hour as my ambient temp creeps back down toward the right side of 80º.

The more I learn the less I want to attempt this.  I think I'll just call a shop and see what they say, if a repair attempt is even worth it versus a full replacement.
  • Options
    Kind of surprised you all camp in that kind of heat/humidity - In Minnesota, I'd never attemp a winter of -10 (or below) without supplemental heating and maybe not even then.
  • Options
    the difference is that the consequences of faulty equipment in heat are not death :wink:
  • Options
    You can die from cold or heat - Not sure the extremes are camping compatible.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2016
    @Chris_and_Sarah, freon isn't used anymore. The coolant is usually R34, but it's usually marked on the outside of the unit or through the manufacturer. If the compressor is clicking on and off, then make sure the auxiliary fan is on - the compressor is either overheating or freezing over. I'd look at air flow before thinking it doesn't have enough coolant. If you are in a place where you can't get to an RV place, try to find a Walmart or somewhere similar and get a small fan and tie it over the outside vent to blow air outwards. Walmart sells battery operated fans (O2 fans) that run on 2x D batteries. Just a temporary Redneck solution to see if it helps you while on the road. Good luck!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    You can make the AC unit run more effectively by attaching some baffles on the outside grill to redirect the warm exhaust air away from the cool intake air. They tend to mix together because of the way the unit is installed in the Tab.

If the prevailing breeze happens to be blowing against that side of the Tab, it makes it worse, I think.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    ChanW - There was a pic of where someone built a baffle that directed the hot air out and up so it wouldn't mix - any recollection of that - have searched but no findy.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Where is the cool air intake? Isn't that the black thing on top?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Photomom - That's the aux air intake - According to an old, old post I can't seem to find, hot air is exhausted from the back center of the unit and fresh air is taken in on the back sides - both thru the external vent. The only reason I remember it is because I thought I'd build the baffle that was shown at some point but have never been in hot weather long enough to mess with it.
  • Options
    I'm sure building a baffle could help make things more efficient, but I think I need to address the problem directly first.   
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    I, don't think you have a Freon problem,,   If you take to a shop have do a ampage draw test first.  if it is drawing to high of amps...  U have a clogged condenser or bad compressor...  low amp draw..  possible leak in system..low charge...   temp diff.  is only 20 to 30 deg.. ..no matter how good unit is performing...   good luck!!    Manny...  38 yrs. in appl. repair..   2017 CS-S Max...
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Here are some photos that may help.  Also, don't forget to check the air filter screen to insure it's clean.

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2709/how-to-remove-the-air-conditioner

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @PXLated, no I can't tell you where to look. I may have posted some pictures back in the day, but darned if I can remember when or where. It may have been on the Yahoo group.

PXL has it right though, the heat is blown out the center of the vent, while the cooler air is drawn in the sides of the vent (this functions this way because the cool air intakes, on a window AC unit, are on the sides of the unit - - - pretty simple).

The baffles I made are of corrugated plastic sign material, and fit between the fins in the vent grill (a bit of fine knife-work)...

BTW, Chris_and_Sarah, it made a great difference in whether or not the AC unit worked at all.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    You must be licensed in order to handle most types of refrigerants, R-134A in autos, anyone can use. Older A/C's used R-22, new ones use R-410. Leave the charging of an A/C unit to the professionals.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    You must be licensed in order to handle most types of refrigerants, R-134A in autos, anyone can use. Older A/C's used R-22, new ones use R-410. Leave the charging of an A/C unit to the professionals.
    And an other thing, SOME refrigerants are compatible with others, SOME are not, due to their chemical composition and the oil type that is blended in with the gas. Put the wrong two together and you'll have a real mess to contend with. DO NOT play with chemicals.
  • Options
    And an other thing, SOME refrigerants are compatible with others, SOME are not, due to their chemical composition and the oil type that is blended in with the gas. Put the wrong two together and you'll have a real mess to contend with. DO NOT play with chemicals.

Awwwww, no playing with my chemistry set?? I promise I won't melt sulfur in the house again and make nickle impressions with liquid sulfur (Mom about killed me when she got home, btw).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    At least you din't blow the house up ;-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    At least you din't blow the house up ;-)
    It wasn't for the lack of trying!! :blush:
  • Options
    Heh! And I thought rubbing mercury onto pennies was fun... Might 'splain a few things...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Chris_and_Sarah freon might not be your issue. I was having the same issue in Utah. Once outside temperatures dipped to the lower 90's the a/c would start cooling again. Basically, my a/c would blow cool air after dark until mid to late morning and then it was just warm air.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Like I said before, at higher ambient temps., these 5K units just can't keep up.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435

103 outside. 73 inside. 0939 hours.  July, Lake Havasu, AZ.  My 5000 btu is fine as long as I limit the amount of "coming and going" from the T@B and keep the shades closed.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    ^^^factory, non-digital, Frigidaire-2016.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

103 outside. 73 inside. 0939 hours.  July, Lake Havasu, AZ.  My 5000 btu is fine as long as I limit the amount of "coming and going" from the T@B and keep the shades closed.

Mine was in 100% exposed sun. Mine was not a matter of coming and going as I had been gone for hours and it was hot. Do you have the a/c exhaust fan?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jkjenn, yes, she does. She had the fan in her Silver Shadow, so she is accustomed to using it. 

Jenn, the fan makes a world of difference here in the Midwest, and in 98* with 90% humidity in Kansas. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    As I mentioned a couple of times already, T@b camping in hot weather is nothing new to me.

If this was the first time, perhaps I could accept that maybe the A/C just can't keep up.  However last summer I was just fine, similar to
    @RollingLagrima.  This summer there's no cold air.  

Taking the A/C to get serviced to see what they say.