Options

Fridge - Propane While Traveling?

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Did 'ya REALLY have to go there Scott? :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    Nah, didn't have to, but you just know everybody was already thinking it!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ericnliz said:
    Mike, the other part of that would be.. doesn't look like he was driving at all. That problem looks like it occurred WAY before he hit the road with a leak he ignored! 
    Maybe the guy was smoking in bed?    =)   :o

Photomom said:
    Meth lab in a Walmart parking lot? I guess you need to be careful who you boondock next to.
    Funny you should mention it because they just found one up in Amherst, NY.  Who woulda thunk?   B)

Meth lab found in Walmart parking lot
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Photomom said:
    Meth lab in a Walmart parking lot? I guess you need to be careful who you boondock next to.
    Funny you should mention it because they just found one up in Amherst, NY.  Who woulda thunk?   B)

Meth lab found in Walmart parking lot
    The really scary thing about this one is that sometimes geocaches are hidden in culverts like that. I myself have crawled into tunnels and culverts to find caches. Would hate to come across that, or even worse, the people involved.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Look closely at the truck camper photo. Is that a propane tank that I see straped in place to the right of the rear door at floor level?  If so, the explosion didn't come from the tank, and it is strange the explosion went straight up to split the camper in half. No, I don't have any explosives background .....but I watch NCIS ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Verna, that was one of the first things I noticed other than the extinguisher! Kinda makes 'ya wonder, huh?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, @ericnliz, that's why I'll stick to my first thought as to the reason for the explosion.  I can't tell if the pin was pulled on the fire extinguisher because it would normally be located next to the propane tank and/or stove. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Look closely at the truck camper photo. Is that a propane tank that I see straped in place to the right of the rear door at floor level?  If so, the explosion didn't come from the tank, and it is strange the explosion went straight up to split the camper in half. No, I don't have any explosives background .....but I watch NCIS ;)
    Maybe it was one of them big chrome hammers like the ones they use on battle-bots?   =)
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Some years ago with our first trip in our used '04 Dutchmen T@B, I didn't know, total newbie… ran the fridge on DC, but didn't have the alternator charging feed on my TV, just a flat four connector. My first experience with a Nor-Cold 3-way.

Needless to say, the battery was totally flat at the first stop in New Brunswick. Man, didn't that inverter squeal for the first two or three hours after we plugged in at a campground!! (At night, in the rain….) Didn't get too much sleep that night.

A year or so later we took a trip up to northern NH, and on the way back I thought, "What the heck-- let's try propane over the road."  Stopped every 40 miles or so to check everything over. It totally worked, no problems.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Update - Totally sold on running on propane - Over the last month have had just one blowout on the road - had more (2) while camped. Always arrive with a fully charged battery. Never have to deploy my solar for an overnight - Can actually go a couple days before I need to pull it out.
  • Options
    planobenzplanobenz Member Posts: 18
    Leaving the propane on while refueling seems like a very bad idea!

Plano TX, 2017 T@B S Max Sofitel, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Prior to pulling up to the pumps, shut off refrigerator,  pull away from pumps and restart the refrigerator.  Maybe, a whole minute.

PXLated,  we have always traveled with propane on, never had a blowout on either TV.  The interesting fact to this, is they were both Wranglers, 2 dr and 4 dr.  I wonder if the height of the vehicle and roof line make a difference, for air disruption.

I am not promoting to travel with propane on, each his or her decision to decide.

• Options
    jdargis - Hmmmm, don't know, could I suppose. The time I had the blowout this month was in rather calm weather, no wind to speak of, kind of surprized me when I heard the clicking.
  • Options
    planobenz said:
    Leaving the propane on while refueling seems like a very bad idea!
    I'm trying to understand why. This would only be a problem if you had a propane leak AND there was a spark or open flame. Why would you be driving around with a propane leak? And if you have a spark or open flame you'll probably blow your gas tank and yourself up anyway.
  • Options
    Leaked gas or fumes at the pump area, you basically have an open flame, when you are running your refrigerator.  
  • Options
    From what I've heard, most of the bigger rigs run on propane - Doubt they shut them down while at the pump - But I get the point.
  • Options
    You can actually see the flame in the exhaust stack in a larger refrigerator, when you remove the outer vent cover.  
  • Options
    Ah, got it!
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I have pulled trailers and fifth wheels and carried campers for 15 years and have always run the fridge on propane while traveling.  As far as I know, there are no more safety mechanisms built into the propane system of a large fifth wheel as there is in a small travel trailer.  I DO turn off my fridge prior to fueling because, as stated here earlier, a fridge running on propane is an open flame which is not wise to have while fueling.  Although there are examples on the Internet of propane caused explosions in RVs, they are very rare and, I might argue, even anecdotal.  Modern RV propane systems have safety mechanisms built in to shut down the flow of propane whenever a sudden change in pressure occurs.  That's one reason why when you turn on your propane, you need to do it slowly to prevent the safety mechanism from kicking on and stopping the flow of propane.  Anyway, is there a risk here?  Of course there is, but I would say the risk is no greater than many other risks you face while traveling that could have a catastrophic impact.  That said, if you aren't comfortable traveling with the propane on, don't.  I don't feel the risk is significant enough to worry about.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Photomom said:
    We have had no problem keeping the fridge at 36 on 12v while simultaneously arriving at camp with the battery reading 12.7v!
    Ditto here with 36 degrees on 12v while traveling.
    What is simple way to check battery at camp?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    TabberJohn said:

What is simple way to check battery at camp?
    An easy way to check your battery voltage is the Equus Innova 12 volt LED cigarette style meter that is available for around $10 at Walmart.  I have one and have used it for many years.  I also have a fixed meter inside my trailer on the lower passenger side bench area and  can quickly glance through the window for a quick visual and the other built in meter that is part of my SeeLevel ll tank monitor system.  

Image result for Inova led 12 volt battery meter
  • Options
    Photomom / TabberJohn - But you're both starting with a fully charged battery either via campground hookup or at home...correct? If so, I don't find that surprising.
  • Options
    Start with battery at 12.7 volts, drive all day with fridge on 12v, battery is 12.6 or .7 when we arrive. 150a alternator. We have not started a driving day with a depleted battery yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Photomom - I'm not talking a depleted battery just one that has run everything overnight without hookups so is sitting at 12.2 or so when you take off. In your example then you'd arrive with a 12.1 or .2. Not exactly a good starting point for the night if you don't have a hookup or can't get it charged via solar before nightfall.
  • Options
    Had a five hour trip today - A breezy first half but fridge on propane was fine. Then I hit strong winds and had a blowout. Couldn't even get it relit in that wind. At that point I had a fully charged battery and switched over and arrived with a full battery. The TV maintained for that last half.
    The wind was so strong I started out at 15.5 mpg for the first half but ended at 11.2 :-(
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Photomom - I'm not talking a depleted battery just one that has run everything overnight without hookups so is sitting at 12.2 or so when you take off. In your example then you'd arrive with a 12.1 or .2. Not exactly a good starting point for the night if you don't have a hookup or can't get it charged via solar before nightfall.
    That's what I meant by depleted - we don't let it fall below 12.2.
  • Options
    Ahhh - I try not to let mine go lower either but have never considered that "depleted" :-)
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    That number is rock solid!  Semantics I guess. 'Glass half empty and all that. It's all good as long as everybody gets that 12.2 is not a danger zone OR full charge.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    An easy way to check your battery voltage is the Equus Innova 12 volt LED cigarette style meter that is available for around $10 at Walmart.
    Perfect. Thanks!
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Does the Equus Innova do anything that the SealeveL meter doesn't do? 
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut