Options

Electric skillet usage in CS unit

Does anyone use an electric skillet to cook with?   I am thinking about acquiring the Rival 11" unit at WalMart, currently for ~$18.

Since we always stay at campsites with electric, we are already paying for the electric, why not use it instead of the propane.

I have good success using a "hot-pot" to heat water for dish washing, etc.

By the way, we have a 2006 CS unit.

Comments?
John & Cheryl
2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
Edmond, OK

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I rarely have hookups but if I was of that notion, I'd use whatever appliances work for me and I have the inclination to lug along.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I keep a "hot shot" with me to heat water or soup, although it is rare in the winter for me to have an electric site. The hit shot is quicker to heat water than boiling water on the stove. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    Yes, it is amazing how fast the hot pots heat water, much faster than propane burners.
    John & Cheryl
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 935
    We have used an electric hot pot since we got our CS.  It has been our all purpose "water heater" when ever we have hook-ups.  In addition to all the typical uses for a pot of hot water, it's a great way to jump start a boiling pot on the gas burners for pasta or lobsters.
    As for the frying pan, we just carry some pans we like and use the gas stove.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited October 2016
    We use our electric skillet all of the time. Inside and outside. Also have a toaster, Keurig, induction hot plate, and ice maker.
    Forgot about the microwave.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Might as well stay home Dale, that's not "camping" :-) :-)
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    I use that skillet and when plugged to the outside outlet on my t@b it often trips the breaker. 1500 W is a bit too much maybe. I use it on medium or I connect it to the campground outlet and no problem
  • Options
    Who's camping? I'm RVing.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Maybe in your mind but you have a camper, not a recreational "vehicle" (RV) :-) ;-)
  • Options
    Our T@B has everything our 40' Winnabago had except a fireplace so to me it's an RV a tent is camping. IMHO
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Oh I forgot the microwave.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    Well, took the plunge and got the skillet at WalMart this evening.  Got home, inspected it and found a flaw in the Teflon, so, we took it back and exchanged it for a good one.  The second one appears to be good to go.

The hot pot is rated at 1,500 watts, ~12.5 amps - did not have any issues last weekend at Eureka Springs, AR KOA.  This skillet is also rated at 1,500 watts.  If it trips the T@B's breaker, I'll just run a 14 gauge extension cord to the park power pedestal and cook at the picnic table.
    Will definitely not run both at the same time.

Boo:  if it is raining lightly, I still cook under the hatch, if raining hard, it's time to go to town to eat someplace!

John
    John & Cheryl
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    PXLated said:
    Maybe in your mind but you have a camper, not a recreational "vehicle" (RV) :-) ;-)
    While travel trailers are not considered motor homes, they are considered recreational vehicles by most definitions.

More perplexing, motor homes and travel trailers are both considered campers, while such a term is never applied to a tent.

Even more perplexing...

Dale lives in a T@B (A). Dale is an RVer (B).

PXL lives in a T@B (A). PXL is a camper (C).

If A=B, and A=C, how is B not =C ???

Sunday morning musings for English teachers and physicists...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited October 2016
    ScottG, Actually it is: RVing Camper! What did you put in your coffee? I like the analogy of the tent though! =)
    Aren't we all just a group of happy campers? ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
  • Options
    First cup PXL? :o
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Need a couple pots for that :-)
  • Options
    Yep! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    There is a sticker right next to my T@B's door identifying it as a Recreational Vehicle.

End of discussion.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sticker error - Didn't you get the recall notice?
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We use our electric skillet all of the time. Inside and outside. Also have a toaster, Keurig, induction hot plate, and ice maker.
    How do you carry all this stuff and maintain some semblance of order in your trailer?   I love the T@B but it does tend to be a continual "pull this out, place it temporarily out of the way to get the needed item out" type situation.   I'm not opposed to carrying an item like an electric skillet, but sometimes it's easier to just pull out my Coleman stove and cook outdoors, etc.  And when the bed is up and in place it also limits the ability to get down into the bench storage area.  I do like the idea of having an outside access door for that area of the trailer as I see value added for something like that.  We seem to use the two cabinets beneath the sink in the T@B Max S more than any storage area within the trailer.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Mike, I think they use freight forwarding from one campground to the next.
  • Options
    For anyone coming to T@Bazonia. Look me up. I  guarantee you will be surprised at all of the stuff we carry. My  Philosophy  is. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. By the way an electric skillet takes up less than a Coleman stove and with the stove you still need a skillet right?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    If I don't have it, I don't need it - And if I really do, there's Walmart and Goodwill when I'm done with it :-)
  • Options
    PXL next time you need something let me know I probably have it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    No doubt - So, I hear your next TV is a stepvan so you'll never be deprived? :-)
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    How do you carry all this stuff and maintain some semblance of order in your trailer?   I love the T@B but it does tend to be a continual "pull this out, place it temporarily out of the way to get the needed item out" type situation.   I'm not opposed to carrying an item like an electric skillet, but sometimes it's easier to just pull out my Coleman stove and cook outdoors, etc.  And when the bed is up and in place it also limits the ability to get down into the bench storage area.  I do like the idea of having an outside access door for that area of the trailer as I see value added for something like that.  We seem to use the two cabinets beneath the sink in the T@B Max S more than any storage area within the trailer.  
    Dale and Sandi are amazing. At Tearstock this summer, we saw multiple flags, they had a tent much like our Coleman event tent, all sorts of fancy, homey touches to their T@B. It seems from this post  that they have even more than we saw. Doug and I are minimalists and it still took us 2 days to pack up to leave. Sandi and Dale seemed to pack up in about an hour. I'm definitely coming for lessons in Arizona.
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    Great idea thanks
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Look forward to seeing you again Mike be safe till then. By the way we will be bringing along a couple of friends we met along the way.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I'm serious in the above and am not joking here, I'd be interested in learning how others pack or carry essentials along on trips and for long duration adventures.  I do have a pickup truck so I have the ability to pack some extras.  The 400 model is intriguing and I can see myself in something larger and with additional space, but will wait and see how it all shakes out.  I'm a minimalist too and normally just take what I feel I will need for the application or area traveled to.  If I don't have something with me I can always pick something up along the trail.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ