Hope for the next forum!

So far I've used 3 approaches to saving information on this forum-yellow star, printing an entire thread and copy/paste to a Pages document for T@B notes. Does anyone employ another method that works well for them? I'm wondering if the new forum after 4/1/2017 could include a way to annotate the threads I save with a yellow star with a 1-3 word phrase to remind me why I saved it as frequently the thread title has nothing to do with an post I wanted to save for future reference. Searching with 1 word usually results in waaaay too many results, while searching with 2 or more words returns bupkis. Searching on my browser with a phrase has been largely unsuccessful for results from this forum. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks to everyone who has contributed to my forum addiction and given me this data retrieval problem!
John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Comments

• LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    I just bookmark a page that I think I'll want to see again.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    You could use Instapaper. Saves bookmarks, you can customize each title. Most browsers can support a 'Share with Instapaper' button, which saves the bookmark to your personal cloud-based 'vault', which you can access from any other device.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Twojgrams said:
    Searching on my browser with a phrase has been largely unsuccessful for results from this forum. Am I missing something obvious?
    Are you using accessing the forum from a desktop, tablet, or smartphone?

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I use an app similar to Instapaper called "Pocket" - Works great.
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @ChanW @PXLated thanks for the tip just added instapaper.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @ChanW-instapaper sounds interesting-I'll give it a looksee. Pxlated, will check out pocket. TabberJohn, I use an iPad 98% of the time. Thanks for those suggestions. And LauraRey, I have been too enthusiastic with the yellow star!

Twojgrams said:
    I use an iPad 98% of the time.
    What are some example phrases you tried searching for on your iPad (Safari) that did not locate what you wanted on the forum?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Twojgrams said:
    @ChanW-instapaper sounds interesting-I'll give it a looksee. Pxlated, will check out pocket. TabberJohn, I use an iPad 98% of the time. Thanks for those suggestions. And LauraRey, I have been too enthusiastic with the yellow star!
    You and @Photomom might be in competition for yellow star accumulations!! :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    If it's something really important, I screenshot the page to OneNote so it automatically syncs to all of my devices and in the event something catastrophic happens to the forum.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I don't know about that one Ratkity, I'm up to almost 200 now. Does that rate at least an honorable mention? How about a T@B University badge? =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I've been saving to OneNote and organizing by topic which helps me find things easier. Same as JKJenn, it's nice to have a backup of the important things here that many have worked so hard on. Plus, I can access it on the road with my cell phone if needed.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Tabberjohn-every two phrase I tried just now returned at least 1! The next time I get bupkis I'll let you know. And thank you everyone for explaining your data management techniques. As always, you are a source of such helpful info.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    TwoJGrams, I also use am iPad most often.  I either email the entire thread to myself and save it in specific categorized Tab email folders or I copy and paste to an email and send and save.  I found the bookmarking system needs to be waded through and the same will be done using emails to myself.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    Sorry, by bookmark, I meant a browser bookmark.  I save them in their own subfolders in  a main folder call "T@B trailer".
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I do not use an iPad but I will print the page to a PDF when wanting to save something locally.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited January 2017
    Some time back there was a discussion about doing a site-limited search with Google. After entering your search terms, you add "site:tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/" to your search string. This often works much better than trying to find specific posts using the forum search feature.

For example, earlier today I wanted to find an old thread about WFCO converters to which I had contributed. Searching the forum with "WFCO ScottG"  returned bupkis, but using the same terms in Google quickly brought up a manageable number of hits.

While bookmarks and the like are handy, they only help if you thought to bookmark the thread in the first place!

2015 T@B S
    edited January 2017

The current forum is an exact string search only. For example, try these text searches entered without quotes --
    "bupkis" will locate several entries in this thread.
    "returns bupkis" will only locate entries with that exact phrase.
    "returned bupkis" will only locate entries with that exact phrase. 
    This explains why searching for "winterize" locates entries with "winterize" or "winterize(d)" while searching for "winterizing" find other posts entirely.

Bottom line: Don't try using the default forum search to locate anything other than a single word or exact phrase. Single words are also best limited to the shortest common letters possible. For example, "winteriz" will locate posts for all three possible entries (winterize, winterized, winterizing).

And/Or logic or text phrases ONLY WORK if you use your browser's search engine instead.
    For that use the format "xxx site:http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com" where xxx is your text string.
    For example, enter "winterize or winterizing site:http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com" into your browser's search bar to locate all possible articles related to winterizing.
    Enter "winterize and Alde site:http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com" to locate articles that include both terms.
    If you try entering ""winterize and Alde" into the default forum search box in upper right you'll get bupkis. :)